Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 06:07 PM)
Obviously. But the Rangers aren't "blocked" next year. They are just going to have to spread that money out more or trade away cap space if they want.

They can trade for slots or just wait until the year after next to have the full value.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:55 PM)
What kind of prospect do you think would be the Sox minimum price to let Rios go?

I would take a chance on a younger, high ceiling guy like Jackson, Odor, or Gallo. Hahn was definitely ambitious asking for a package of Perez, Jackson and Odor, maybe Odor and Jackson would get it done?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:54 PM)
You don't think the organization saving money to be able to be aggressive in the FA market the following year is a good thing?

Do you mean in two offseasons? If so, have you checked the list of free agents? I was skimming through the potential and it seemed pretty ugly on first glance.

Also, I'm not against money in free agency this coming offseason. I'm just trying to understand what Marty thinks Hahn will do will all this money.

As I wrote in the other thread, if the Sox get their payroll down to ~$40M for '14 & '15 and will spend $75M-$80M each year they can offer ~$60M in discounts to any team that acquires a player. Say the Braves want to dump Upton's contract and there's a team willing to take him for $20M, the Sox would be able to take on the rest of his contract for the right prospects.

That seems less likely to happen than just getting good prospects for Rios.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 06:00 PM)
As I wrote in the other thread, if the Sox get their payroll down to ~$40M for '14 & '15 and will spend $75M-$80M each year they can offer ~$60M in discounts to any team that acquires a player. Say the Braves want to dump Upton's contract and there's a team willing to take him for $20M, the Sox would be able to take on the rest of his contract for the right prospects.

Reinsdorf will never go for that and if you think otherwise you clearly haven't been following his ownership style.

And how many prospects can we buy for $60 million?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
Reinsdorf will never go for that and if you think otherwise you clearly haven't been following his ownership style.

And how many prospects can we buy for $60 million?

Chairman Reinsdorf is more likely to have a payroll north of $40M next year and the year after. It makes more sense to spend that excess on prospects than on 30-something year-old free agents. The best part of something like this is it is only a short-term obligation and the payroll drops back in '16 when in theory the core should be identified and then is ready to be supplemented by a free agent signing.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:35 PM)
Chairman Reinsdorf is more likely to have a payroll north of $40M next year and the year after. It makes more sense to spend that excess on prospects than on 30-something year-old free agents. The best part of something like this is it is only a short-term obligation and the payroll drops back in '16 when in theory the core should be identified and then is ready to be supplemented by a free agent signing.

Except we're going to be limited to around $9-10-11 million next year, in that area. (Unless it's the rare exception like that Cuban pitcher, Miguel Gonzalez, who was a free agent available to any club...but the White Sox aren't the type of organization that TYPICALLY goes out and bids $30-40-50 million on the Puigs, Solers and Cespedes of the world. Viciedo was a big exception, along with Joe Borchard back in the day.)

We can't just go around throwing money at Viva (Micker) Zapata's, because there are a limited number of them, and fewer "hidden gems" than in the days when scouting wasn't collectivized and there was no internet with everyone becoming an amateur scout/talent agent/buscone.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
Except we're going to be limited to around $9-10-11 million next year, in that area. (Unless it's the rare exception like that Cuban pitcher, Miguel Gonzalez, who was a free agent available to any club...but the White Sox aren't the type of organization that TYPICALLY goes out and bids $30-40-50 million on the Puigs, Solers and Cespedes of the world. Viciedo was a big exception, along with Joe Borchard back in the day.)

We can't just go around throwing money at Viva (Micker) Zapata's, because there are a limited number of them, and fewer "hidden gems" than in the days when scouting wasn't collectivized and there was no internet with everyone becoming an amateur scout/talent agent/buscone.

Yes!! Latin American history was my concentration in undergrad...some of the revolutionaries were incredibly fascinating.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 06:50 PM)

Dumping Rios gives the Sox more cash to bid for the next Puig. The White Sox historically haven't bid on these types because historically they haven't had the flexibility to do so.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 11:00 PM)

mj-laughing.gif

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
Dumping Rios gives the Sox more cash to bid for the next Puig. The White Sox historically haven't bid on these types because historically they haven't had the flexibility to do so.

I think the sox didn't do it because the previous GM was in win now mode and wanted proven MLB players not suspects (prospects).

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 1m

White Sox are not getting Perez, Jackson or Odor for Rios but if price drops to Nick Martinez it could get done...tick tick tick tock

Expand

If thats true then keep him for the rest of the year

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)

Aren't Cubans going to treated like any other Latin American free agents going forward?

White Sox are not getting Perez, Jackson or Odor for Rios but if price drops to Nick Martinez it could get done...tick tick tick tock

Expand

Martinez no thanks not interested in the 27th rated Rangers prospect at the end of last year.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
I think the sox didn't do it because the previous GM was in win now mode and wanted proven MLB players not suspects (prospects).

Don't forget that spending $50 million on guys who haven't played a big league game is really risky. See: Cespedes this year, for example. .719 OPS.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
I simply hate WAR being thrown out as the be-all, end-all discussion point in these situations.

It's like we're back in Moneyball and we're ignoring the Grady Fuson group of scouts who are there to say, "Yes, but...." from having watched his entire career, his body language, his moping, his "banishment" from Toronto and tempestuous relationship with the fans.

Of all the starting players on the White Sox since 2009, there are probably fewer Rios jerseys (being sported at USCF) than just about any player, which is telling, considering he's been our best player (arguably) in 2012 and 2013, but does anyone REALLY CARE about losing him or NOT watching him play another game in a Sox uniform?

Will anyone say "it's such a shame" we will never watch Alex play for us in the future?

Not many.

And I know he's part of the reason (at least in the top five) that I haven't cared about the White Sox the last couple of months, waiting for him to be replaced by Garcia.

Why does that even matter? Come on caulfield, you're better than this.

That's something greg would say to support his argument.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)
Why does that even matter? Come on caulfield, you're better than this.

That's something greg would say to support his argument.

I've seen a fair amount of Rios jerseys at USCF. Hell, I saw a bunch yesterday.

Also, if the Rangers don't wanna pay up, their loss.

Expand

I am honestly shocked that the rangers are not willing to include Odor. I guess they are expecting to get Rios for next to nothing like we did... If that's the case, we are better off keeping him until the winter. I am sure he would make a nice trading chip for those GM meetings in December.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 07:48 PM)
I am honestly shocked that the rangers are not willing to include Odor. I guess they are expecting to get Rios for next to nothing like we did... If that's the case, we are better off keeping him until the winter. I am sure he would make a nice trading chip for those GM meetings in December.

I don't totally understand this accepted gaurantee that Rios will net a bigger haul in the offseason. Maybe I am wrong on that but he'll have lost his 2013 control to the team, there will be an infinite amount of more options out there, and teams will have seen what contending teams were unwilling to pay for him. Why would offseason teams give up more for him? I just dont understand that.

If you can get something of value now, great. If they're willing to take the contract, give him up.