Will the Sox Eat Salary to Bring More Talent

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
If teams can overlook his flaws and just look primarily at his power numbers, lets trade him to that team Asap!

To some extent, I agree, but Dunn has an .845 OPS against right handed pitching this year. You can get some value for him, though as the title of this thread suggests, you do probably need to eat some salary.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockies: The NL West surprises extend to a Rockies club that has been better than advertised, but still needs some help. Going into the season, the Rockies felt that strong returns from Jhoulys Chacin and Jorge De La Rosa could vault them into contention, because they didn't expect anybody to up and run away with the West. Sure enough, that's precisely how it's played out.

How will the Trade Deadline play out? That's up to Dan O'Dowd and Bill Geivett to decide, but the Rockies have been actively kicking the tires to address their usual need -- pitching -- and have been linked to the likes of Yovani Gallardo, John Danks and Matt Garza. They might also seek to upgrade their bullpen, perhaps making a play for Boulder, Colo., native Jesse Crain.

Of course, those pursuits are contingent upon continued contention, and the Rockies have been living largely off the fumes of their strong start, having posted losing records in May and June. But the NL West is so wide open that it's tempting for a team in the Rockies' position to take the bait and go for it.

mlb.com (castrovince)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
Rockies: The NL West surprises extend to a Rockies club that has been better than advertised, but still needs some help. Going into the season, the Rockies felt that strong returns from Jhoulys Chacin and Jorge De La Rosa could vault them into contention, because they didn't expect anybody to up and run away with the West. Sure enough, that's precisely how it's played out.

How will the Trade Deadline play out? That's up to Dan O'Dowd and Bill Geivett to decide, but the Rockies have been actively kicking the tires to address their usual need -- pitching -- and have been linked to the likes of Yovani Gallardo, John Danks and Matt Garza. They might also seek to upgrade their bullpen, perhaps making a play for Boulder, Colo., native Jesse Crain.

Of course, those pursuits are contingent upon continued contention, and the Rockies have been living largely off the fumes of their strong start, having posted losing records in May and June. But the NL West is so wide open that it's tempting for a team in the Rockies' position to take the bait and go for it.

mlb.com (castrovince)

It is very interesting to see John Danks name thrown into discussions... I guess it makes sense for a team looking for pitching help now and long term, but he sure is owed a bunch of money!

I'm pretty sure Crain's name will be mentioned every day from now until the deadline. I will be intrigued to see what our return for him will be and which team he ends up going to.

It seems as if talks between GMs are starting to really heat up.

We don't have to argue about whether or not the homers and RBIs make up for the strikeouts and low OBP and whatever -- that's why wOBA and wRC+ exist.

wRC+ is park adjusted and league adjusted, and scaled so that league average is 100. This year, Adam Dunn currently has a 109 wRC+, which means when you add up all the good and all the bad, he's producing 9% better than a league average hitter. That is definitely something of value, but much worse than a typical AL 1B/DH. He could be very valuable to a contender that has a black hole at 1B or DH, but he isn't good enough to replace a decent player there.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
We don't have to argue about whether or not the homers and RBIs make up for the strikeouts and low OBP and whatever -- that's why wOBA and wRC+ exist.

wRC+ is park adjusted and league adjusted, and scaled so that league average is 100. This year, Adam Dunn currently was a 109 wRC+, which means when you add up all the good and all the bad, he's producing 9% better than a league average hitter. That is definitely something of value, but much worse than a typical AL 1B/DH. He could be very valuable to a contender that has a black hole at 1B or DH, but he isn't good enough to replace a decent player there.

Of course, there was also a 1.5 month period where Adam Dunn was trying to listen to the people who say "oh if only he'd try to swing earlier in the count, make more contact, and go the other way" and was abjectly terrible as a direct consequence. That is also impacting his runs created right now as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
Of course, there was also a 1.5 month period where Adam Dunn was trying to listen to the people who say "oh if only he'd try to swing earlier in the count, make more contact, and go the other way" and was abjectly terrible as a direct consequence. That is also impacting his runs created right now as well.

Definitely. If you think his current streak is closer to average than hot, then that number will continue to rise in the coming weeks. Also, ML scouts will make the same determination.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
John Danks is one guy I wouldn't mind getting rid of for cash reasons if it means we keep Peavy. We can trade him from the rotation as that is a position of strength.

The rotation itself is balanced way better with Danks gone instead of Peavy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
The rotation itself is balanced way better with Danks gone instead of Peavy.

How has Danksy looked recently? I confess I haven't watched a game for more than a month (by far my longest sabbatical from White Sox baseball in 25 years)...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)
How has Danksy looked recently? I confess I haven't watched a game for more than a month (by far my longest sabbatical from White Sox baseball in 25 years)...

Better, still not quite 100%, but probably 90%.

Better fastball by a couple of MPH...change-up sharper, still struggling with FB control and giving up too many homers.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 07:05 PM)

I also haven't watch much White Sox baseball the past 3-4 weeks. Will have to tune in to see Phegley bat. Just haven't had the desire. Danks had a great outing last game.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/hotstoneleag...syndication=rss

A cautionary tale from the Mariners and Jack Z about what not to do at the trade deadline over the last 4 seasons.

Amazing he still has a job.

That said, the White Sox will be somewhere in between the M's approach this off-season (adding Morales/Morse/Bay/Ibanez) and that of the Indians (adding Bourne, Swisher and Reynolds, although they're still short in their starting rotation).

If Phegley turns out, that will be one less FA they have to go after.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 07:43 AM)
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/hotstoneleag...syndication=rss

A cautionary tale from the Mariners and Jack Z about what not to do at the trade deadline over the last 4 seasons.

Amazing he still has a job.

That said, the White Sox will be somewhere in between the M's approach this off-season (adding Morales/Morse/Bay/Ibanez) and that of the Indians (adding Bourne, Swisher and Reynolds, although they're still short in their starting rotation).

If Phegley turns out, that will be one less FA they have to go after.

It certainly doesn't look that bad. He traded expiring contracts for prospects that didn't pan out. Something that is exactly what the majority of this board wants Hahn to do except they think these things usually work out. The fact is dumping soon to be free agents for minor leaguers turns into a virtual salary dump the vast majority of the time. Even the good prospects fail.

Jason Churchill of ESPN suggests Dunn may be a fit in TB. He says TB needs a LH run producer and Dunn has been just that lately. He also states that TB has an abundance of minor league talent which seemingly makes the two teams good trade partners. The Sox would need to pay some of the remaining money owed to Dunn to make this work. Dunn will make another $7.5mil this season and $15mil next season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 07:15 AM)
It certainly doesn't look that bad. He traded expiring contracts for prospects that didn't pan out. Something that is exactly what the majority of this board wants Hahn to do except they think these things usually work out. The fact is dumping soon to be free agents for minor leaguers turns into a virtual salary dump the vast majority of the time. Even the good prospects fail.

That's certainly the case with all the KW salary dumps.

Adkins, of course, is the most famous, because we lost the compensation pick, too...and Willie Harris never turned into a regular.

Lofton, for Felix Diaz and Ryan Meaux.

Any of the Sandy Alomar deals.

James Baldwin.

We did get Frank Francisco back for Bob Howry.

Thome in 2009, Contreras, Scott Linebrink, etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
A fit? Yes. But it doesn't sound like Tampa at all.

Don't they have Luke Scott as DH?

I know he has sucked this year...but that's not a Rays move unless we pay for 60-75% of the deal, and they're not going to do that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Don't they have Luke Scott as DH?

I know he has sucked this year...but that's not a Rays move unless we pay for 60-75% of the deal, and they're not going to do that.

Then they can give us a premium talent level in order to convince us to pay more. Or they can miss the playoffs, their choice.

If we can get top talent simply by paying more money, I'm okay with that. I was planning to pay Dunn to play for the White Sox until people were willing to give up top talent, so this just accelerates the process in my book. This team will get really tough to watch if he goes, though. /selfish

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
If we can get top talent simply by paying more money, I'm okay with that. I was planning to pay Dunn to play for the White Sox until people were willing to give up top talent, so this just accelerates the process in my book. This team will get really tough to watch if he goes, though. /selfish

I'm at the point where I think they will get easier to watch.

If people are going to make bonehead plays non-stop, all over the field, at least if they're rookies I can tolerate it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
I'm at the point where I think they will get easier to watch.

If people are going to make bonehead plays non-stop, all over the field, at least if they're rookies I can tolerate it.

Dunn going yard every other game is fun, though

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
Then they can give us a premium talent level in order to convince us to pay more. Or they can miss the playoffs, their choice.

They aren't adding salaried players if their history is any indication. They just don't do it.

Adam Dunn is certainly not one of my favorite players, but it's pretty scary to contemplate about what that Tiger's starting rotation will do to the Sox, without Dunn's left handed presence. All of those dominate RH pitchers will mow down our pathetic lineup with ease. And, we have the entire season's head to head competition vs Detroit still ahead of us. Ouch!

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 08:21 AM)
Adam Dunn is certainly not one of my favorite players, but it's pretty scary to contemplate about what that Tiger's starting rotation will do to the Sox, without Dunn's left handed presence. All of those dominate RH pitchers will mow down our pathetic lineup with ease. And, we have the entire season's head to head competition vs Detroit still ahead of us. Ouch!

With or without Dunn, I'd be surprised if the Sox do better than 4-15 vs the Tigers.