Hawk Harrelson Documentary

flavum

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
It's funny, at first the guy I really didn't like was Farmio. That really changed in the last couple of years when I listened more and more on Gameday audio.

I don't really like Farmer but that broadcast is oftentimes hilarious...mostly because of how inept and awkward they are. I mean that in the best way

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
I don't really like Farmer but that broadcast is oftentimes hilarious...mostly because of how inept and awkward they are. I mean that in the best way

I love the Farmer-DJ combo. Ridiculously entertaining.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 08:10 PM)
I love the Farmer-DJ combo. Ridiculously entertaining.

It really, really grew on me. It's funny hearing DJ going from relatively relaxed to when he's actually pissed about something happening in the game.

I finally watched this last night and all I have to say is what a strange, strange cat. All this talk with him referring to himself/"Hawk" in the third person and then of course the endless stories about baseball HOF-ers from back in the day which we've heard from the booth hundreds of times over the past years.

It seems like all the players (non-Sox) he's knowledgeable about are from decades ago.

I've never gotten when you've got a major market team with an announcer always dispensing down-home, old-timey southern wisdom in a southern-y accent and constantly firing off cliches like "can of corn" when nobody under 60 would even know what that means.

It's time for a change.

I watched the documentary last night and absolutely loved it. Hawk is character, that is for sure. I am open to a change in the booth, mainly because the Hawk is getting old, but that man loves him some White Sox baseball. It is rare when I come across a fan that loves the SOX more than I do, but I think Hawk has me beat.

Highly recommended to anyone who is a baseball fan, whether you love the Hawk or hate him.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
I finally watched this last night and all I have to say is what a strange, strange cat. All this talk with him referring to himself/"Hawk" in the third person and then of course the endless stories about baseball HOF-ers from back in the day which we've heard from the booth hundreds of times over the past years.

It seems like all the players (non-Sox) he's knowledgeable about are from decades ago.

I've never gotten when you've got a major market team with an announcer always dispensing down-home, old-timey southern wisdom in a southern-y accent and constantly firing off cliches like "can of corn" when nobody under 60 would even know what that means.

It's time for a change.

Who do you want in the booth? Do you realize what boring monotone puppets are employed as play by play announcers nowadays? The only announcers remotely interesting have years vested in a team where they can't be fired for being interesting.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 08:12 AM)

boy you are complicating things way too much. you are also trying way to hard to be right about something so stupid!

so good for you. you win. you are the winner. baseball is a complicated game that should only be enjoyed by intellectuals!

Edited by mataipaepae

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 03:00 AM)
Griffey must be the all time leader of play-in game web gems.

I used that same type of joke so often in 2008! Incredible movie, incredible play-in game that I was lucky enough to be at.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
boy you are complicating things way too much. you are also trying way to hard to be right about something so stupid!

so good for you. you win. you are the winner. baseball is a complicated game that should only be enjoyed by intellectuals!

Settle down. Baseball is a relatively simple game, but there are intricacies in the game that are complicated and rival no other. That's why it's such a great game. The old cliche is that you see something new every game. A lot of that is true.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)

It's time for a change.

Time for a poll. I'd say 99% of the posters are under 60. And we all know what it means.

Are there any broadcasters out there with the kind of personality that would make them a valid successor to the Hawk? With Caray and Hawk in our recent past, it wouldn't be right to just have some numb nuts like Len Kasper in the booth

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
Are there any broadcasters out there with the kind of personality that would make them a valid successor to the Hawk? With Caray and Hawk in our recent past, it wouldn't be right to just have some numb nuts like Len Kasper in the booth

GUS JOHNSON

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
Daron Sutton or bust

He seems like a real douchenozzle, but if he does a professional job, he would be ok. Same with Matt Vasgersian.

I just hope the next PBP guy isn't a former player. Get somebody in their 30's or 40's that will be here for a while, knows something about modern baseball, and can put the focus on the field, and not on themselves.

He seems like a real douchenozzle, but if he does a professional job, he would be ok. Same with Matt Vasgersian.

I just hope the next PBP guy isn't a former player. Get somebody in their 30's or 40's that will be here for a while, knows something about modern baseball, and can put the focus on the field, and not on themselves.

I"m available.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)

Nobody understands baseball more than the players. If it were up to you, we might as well get a woman. "Modern Baseball" hahaha

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)

+1 to that second part especially the "not themselves" part.