9/10 vs Tigers

flavum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
Three hitters, overall, hit into more DPs than any other spot. Part of Tango's research on batting order years ago.

Actually I found it on ESPN's stats. The Sox no.3 hitters are 13th's in the ML for GDP's which is pretty good/bad considering we're 27nd in OBP or if you prefer our leadoff hitters are 12th's in OBP and our no. 2 hitters are last in MLB and our no.9 hitters are last in the AL in OBP by a wide margin .234 for 15th place to .250 for 14th . I didn't use MLB for no. 9 hitters since the of NL teams have pitchers bat 9th most of the time .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
Actually I found it on ESPN's stats. The Sox no.3 hitters are 13th's in the ML for GDP's which is pretty good/bad considering we're 27nd in OBP or if you prefer our leadoff hitters are 12th's in OBP and our no. 2 hitters are last in MLB and our no.9 hitters are last in the AL in OBP by a wide margin .234 for 15th place to .250 for 14th . I didn't use MLB for no. 9 hitters since the of NL teams have pitchers bat 9th most of the time .

So that means in the 3 batting order spots that proceed the # 3 hitter ( 9,1, 2 ) don't get on base very much but our # 3 hitters are still have hit into the 13th most DP's in the league. So when we do have men on with less than 2 outs our # 3 hitters have hit into a higher percentage of DP's.

While doing this research I've found it also supported my idea that I don't like Robin's lineups. Our # 8 hitters are 1st in the AL in battng average (.291)and OBP (.339) while our #2 hitters are last in OBP (.280)

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 07:32 PM)
So are the Sox trying to make Leury Garcia a right-handed hitter only?

Odd that Robin pinch hits for Conor unless he thinks he was sparing him from some boos , when Conor has 2 hits off Porcello tonight . Also ,as you noted ,Leury is a switch hitter but batting RH against the RH Porcello.

If you're going to send a RH up why not Semien ? Ha so now Garcia is playing 3rd and Semien 2nd.

My quick thoughts on Johnson:

- I don't like his wind-up, as I worry about him being able to repeat his delivery

- His fastball velocity was up today, which is great to see

- Slider is far and away his best offspeed pitch

- He needs to have better command of all of his pitches

- His changeup is not MLB caliber

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)
My quick thoughts on Johnson:

- I don't like his wind-up, as I worry about him being able to repeat his delivery

- His fastball velocity was up today, which is great to see

- Slider is far and away his best offspeed pitch

- He needs to have better command of all of his pitches

- His changeup is not MLB caliber

He has a good curve. The Tiger's announcers at one point called it Verlanderesque but noted that he didn't seem to throw it much.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)

I just meant in general. Not Sox only

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 11:58 PM)
He definitely needs to throw it more, as too many of his pitches are hard.

I think we should just be content that he's getting the big league experience this month so he has some idea that he needs to really be on top of things this offseason.

I was at the cell last night and it was a total disappointment all around. The game itself was an abortion...just awful.

You'd think at "Blackhawks Night", they would have that silver trophy that the team won last year brought out on to the field...NOPE. I know it was at the Bears game on Sunday and I'm pretty sure they had the cup at the cubs game earlier this season as well. It's been everywhere, but on the South Side. s***, they could have had it on the concourse, charged $10 for a picture with it and donated it to the team charity.

I figured they'd trot the ambassador's out there, which they did(except for Bobby). But then we had 2 draft picks that hadn't even made the team yet(Tevo and the new kid from Buffalo Grove), 2 scrub defensemen from Rockford(Stanton and Clendening) and then finally a real Hawks player in Crawford. Maybe had the players and ambassadors available for autographs as well. It wouldn't need to be for 3 hours, but a little session would have been nice. Not to mention having a couple of other players from the cup winning team like were at the other events.

The free scarf we got was nice, so that's a positive from it.

QUOTE (SAVVY18 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
I was at the cell last night and it was a total disappointment all around. The game itself was an abortion...just awful.

You'd think at "Blackhawks Night", they would have that silver trophy that the team won last year brought out on to the field...NOPE. I know it was at the Bears game on Sunday and I'm pretty sure they had the cup at the cubs game earlier this season as well. It's been everywhere, but on the South Side. s***, they could have had it on the concourse, charged $10 for a picture with it and donated it to the team charity.

I figured they'd trot the ambassador's out there, which they did(except for Bobby). But then we had 2 draft picks that hadn't even made the team yet(Tevo and the new kid from Buffalo Grove), 2 scrub defensemen from Rockford(Stanton and Clendening) and then finally a real Hawks player in Crawford. Maybe had the players and ambassadors available for autographs as well. It wouldn't need to be for 3 hours, but a little session would have been nice. Not to mention having a couple of other players from the cup winning team like were at the other events.

The free scarf we got was nice, so that's a positive from it.

I do believe coach Q did bring the Cup to a Sox game after they won it.