2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/cubs-sit-th...&ocid=yahoo

How much would the Cubs have to eat in salary to take Edwin Jackson back from the Cubs and for Cooper to rehab him into a top-flight starter again? Impossible to happen? Probably. But it would be sweet revenge.

I'd give them Scott Snodgress and they eat half of remaining contract.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/cubs-sit-th...&ocid=yahoo

How much would the Cubs have to eat in salary to take Edwin Jackson back from the Cubs and for Cooper to rehab him into a top-flight starter again? Impossible to happen? Probably. But it would be sweet revenge.

They'd have to throw in his entire contract and the revenue from the Captain Morgan Club.

I think Coop would take one look and throw his hands in the air, running away screaming "I am NOT a miracle worker!"

I laugh a little every time I think about the Cubs wasting $52M on Jackson. IMHO, this was a knee-jerk reaction from Theo, who did not want to lose 100 games two years in a row, and dropped serious coin to help prevent that from happening. Jackson's 8-18 record helped the Cubs to only 96 losses last season, Jackson's first year.

The Cubs are now on a pace to lose only 92 this year, so - - - Mission Accomplished!

And no, I don't want to see Jackson back in a Sox uniform.

SMO

:pray

$1000 Cubs win a pennant in the next three seasons.

Do YOU take this kind of bet or no? Asking for a friend.

If you are getting even money odds that the Cubs will not win a pennant by 2017, yes you take this bet.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
If you are getting even money odds that the Cubs will not win a pennant by 2017, yes you take this bet.

And then bet ~$75 with a bookie before the season and you're guaranteed to not lose money. Hope someone was dumb enough to actually offer that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 07:41 PM)
Hey fathom, what happened to Travis Wood?

Yeah, he's having a miserable season. It's strange to me they keep saying he is one of their core building blocks. It's great though, as it's one more question mark they have instead of a sure-fire starter.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
Yeah, he's having a miserable season. It's strange to me they keep saying he is one of their core building blocks. It's great though, as it's one more question mark they have instead of a sure-fire starter.

Yeah, they may have gained a starter in Arrieta, but this version of Wood almost cancels it out

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 03:48 AM)
$1000 Cubs win a pennant in the next three seasons.

Do YOU take this kind of bet or no? Asking for a friend.

The Cubs in the World Series in three years? Is that a joke. Take the money and laugh all of the way to the bank. There is a good chance they won't be a .500 team in three years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 09:28 PM)
The Cubs in the World Series in three years? Is that a joke. Take the money and laugh all of the way to the bank. There is a good chance they won't be a .500 team in three years.

Come on now. Good chance they won't be .500 in 2017 (or 2015 or 2016) is not an actual bet you are making.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 11:52 PM)
Come on now. Good chance they won't be .500 in 2017 (or 2015 or 2016) is not an actual bet you are making.

If this were any other team than the Cubs, no one, and I mean no one, would be talking about a World Series appearance in three years. That is flat out ridiculous. Sox fans are starting to sound like Cub fans with their expectations of this rebuild.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
If this were any other team than the Cubs, no one, and I mean no one, would be talking about a World Series appearance in three years. That is flat out ridiculous. Sox fans are starting to sound like Cub fans with their expectations of this rebuild.

What?

The point I challenged was being .500 in any of three seasons.