Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
Trading Sale who can only contribute to this team in 33 of 162 games per year is " Nintendo talk"? In the right trade Sale's return could fill multiple holes with players that can potentially help this team up 162 games per year each. This team is in dire need of help at multiple positions so the right return makes more sense than keeping one pitcher that can only help his team in 33 games per year. Now if Sale can play 3B, CF, 2B, C and LF than fine but until then the Sox need help bad!

Your infatuation with Sale is obvious but I am a Sox fan first and foremost over any particular player. I would rather trade Sale to help make this team better overall than keep Sale out of pure puppy love.

Well, I told you I wasn't making any sense. :lol:

But the "Nintendo" expression refers to the inherent craziness of 12 player/4 team trade proposals, and the like, and isn't really meant as an insult to anyone.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
The organization is a mess, honestly. If an organization reviving monster offer for Sale came in...you look at his mechanics and just basically do it.

He either is one of those genetic freaks that can survive any amount of years of weird torque on his body ------- or he's not. And we'll only know the answer to that once he's either injured or done with a 15 yr career etc.

I've come over to this way of thinking. Sign Tanaka, deal Sale, draft Hoffman.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
If Arizona wants Sale, start with Archie Bradley and Didi Gregorius, and then add 2-3 more.

But they've already said Bradley isn't going anywhere.

Agree, and that can't be serious about landing an ace if they keep prospects off limits.

I'm okay with dealing Sale, but I wonder if others' injury concerns might make teams offer lesser value.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 05:59 PM)
Well, I told you I wasn't making any sense. :lol:

But the "Nintendo" expression refers to the inherent craziness of 12 player/4 team trade proposals, and the like, and isn't really meant as an insult to anyone.

Its cool and I apologize if I came across as an ass. I just to see this team get better is all.

Everything I've said is based on "the right return". I do realize there's no guarantees the players in return would pan out so to speak but with the shape this team is in it would make sense to at least consider a trade if the right players were offered up. Otherwise keeping Sale is definitely a very good thing.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
The organization is a mess, honestly. If an organization reviving monster offer for Sale came in...you look at his mechanics and just basically do it.

He either is one of those genetic freaks that can survive any amount of years of weird torque on his body ------- or he's not. And we'll only know the answer to that once he's either injured or done with a 15 yr career etc.

Hell, I can't fault the logic behind the bolded, but I don't think the mechanics should have anything to do with it. Now that he's had two full, studly seasons, some scouts are saying that his delivery is actually surprisingly "clean", despite the appearance. The CYA tendencies of these guys are funny, and not surprising.

And if the fear of the mechanics diminishes the return in any way, fuhgeddiboutit.

Oh, and if his arm falls off in year 13, I don't think that will have vindicated the doomsayers.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 05:14 PM)
Possibly 5 if Danish developes as well.

Now you talkin' to me baby, dat I like...

I'm on the Hoffman train with Marty and others, if he looks like the best option come June. Building a vast stockpile of pitchers and trading for the bats we can't seem to develop ourselves may in fact be the plan that best takes advantage of what we seem to do well.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
Now you talkin' to me baby, dat I like...

I'm on the Hoffman train with Marty and others, if he looks like the best option come June. Building a vast stockpile of pitchers and trading for the bats we can't seem to develop ourselves may in fact be the plan that best takes advantage of what we seem to do well.

I started on the Kolek wagon myself but Hoffman would most likely make it to the Sox rotation sooner so count me in. Like you said we have future trade bait or the best young rotation in baseball. Either way its a huge plus. Gonna try to find some video and see what Hoffman has to offer.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Hell, I can't fault the logic behind the bolded, but I don't think the mechanics should have anything to do with it. Now that he's had two full, studly seasons, some scouts are saying that his delivery is actually surprisingly "clean", despite the appearance. The CYA tendencies of these guys are funny, and not surprising.

And if the fear of the mechanics diminishes the return in any way, fuhgeddiboutit.

Oh, and if his arm falls off in year 13, I don't think that will have vindicated the doomsayers.

Plus not to mention, looks at the amount of TJ surgeries that many "clean/ideal" delivery guys have had over the years. A guys mechanics is a crapshoot nowadays in all fairness. I think it comes down to whether or not the Sox would find somebody willing to overpay for Sale. No way am I pulling the trigger on prospects unless the other team is literally overpaying for Sale. No fair trade that helps both teams. They other team needs to make a dent in their future.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
Plus not to mention, looks at the amount of TJ surgeries that many "clean/ideal" delivery guys have had over the years. A guys mechanics is a crapshoot nowadays in all fairness. I think it comes down to whether or not the Sox would find somebody willing to overpay for Sale. No way am I pulling the trigger on prospects unless the other team is literally overpaying for Sale. No fair trade that helps both teams. They other team needs to make a dent in their future.

I think this is one of the few areas where our org is smarter than the average bear. Sale's success and relative health may well have emboldened them to pick Danish, who also scared off many with his delivery. I like this ballsyness from my org, as long as they're basing these choices in logic, even if it's their own exclusive logic.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

With AZ asking about Cespedes and also wanting an ace I wonder if they would "settle" for Viciedo and Quintana? Quintana could put up near ace numbers in the NL and Viciedo has the potential a "poor mans"(and I use that term loosely because he has the potential to be just as good) Cespedes.

Could be talking about some of the same guys we're talking about for Sale.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
With AZ asking about Cespedes and also wanting an ace I wonder if they would "settle" for Viciedo and Quintana? Quintana could put up near ace numbers in the NL and Viciedo has the potential a "poor mans"(and I use that term loosely because he has the potential to be just as good) Cespedes.

Could be talking about some of the same guys we're talking about for Sale.

I'd be very interested in learning if those two could be traded to Arizona for a nice package. I'd even try Viciedo and Santiago together too. I fear the Sox may hold too much value in Viciedo though. With Abreu signing here, I'd almost think Viciedo, like Ramirez, might hold more value to the Sox than other clubs see. I hope I'm wrong on that though.

QUOTE (Kevtrem @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)
Viciedo, Quintana, and Reed for Montero, Owings, and Eaton

What do you guys thing? Fair or Unfair, who gets shafted and how bad?

I actually don't like that for the Sox. And I don't see Arizona trading Montero, considering Trahan was a 19 year old in Rookie ball last year. I don't want to give up on Viciedo, but for Viciedo, Quintana, Reed and cash (They appear to be hurting for money), I'd be asking for Skaggs/Delgado, Owings, Davidson, and Trahan.

QUOTE (Kevtrem @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)
Viciedo, Quintana, and Reed for Montero, Owings, and Eaton

What do you guys thing? Fair or Unfair, who gets shafted and how bad?

I'm not sure how realistic is would be for us to get Montero back. Wouldn't make a whole lot sense for a team trying to make a playoff push to trade their only capable catcher.

I would definitely target Davidson because he presents a long term solution to 3B. I agree on Owings, he's pretty much a must get. I'm not crazy about Eaton, but I see why he makes sense. They have some minor league depth at pitching too, so could be an opportunity to get another guy in our system. Chafin or Spruill are interesting guys that AZ probably wouldn't miss.

Edit: Just now noticed that you have Reed involved too. I think Davidson, Owings, and Eaton is fair just for Q and Viciedo. If we are giving up Reed too I want Davidson, Owings, Eaton, Chafin, and Trahan

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
I'm not sure how realistic is would be for us to get Montero back. Wouldn't make a whole lot sense for a team trying to make a playoff push to trade their only capable catcher.

I would definitely target Davidson because he presents a long term solution to 3B. I agree on Owings, he's pretty much a must get. I'm not crazy about Eaton, but I see why he makes sense. They have some minor league depth at pitching too, so could be an opportunity to get another guy in our system. Chafin or Spruill are interesting guys that AZ probably wouldn't miss.

Edit: Just now noticed that you have Reed involved too. I think Davidson, Owings, and Eaton is fair just for Q and Viciedo. If we are giving up Reed too I want Davidson, Owings, Eaton, Chafin, and Trahan

You think Reed is worth Chafin and Trahan? I don't. And I doubt Arizona would.