Rule V Draft 2013

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:14 AM)
I'm sure they would frown upon it...since it would be circumventing the rules and spirit of the draft.

Having to deal with sacrificing one roster spot is, or at least can be, a pretty heavy penalty. For a future starter in the situation where the White Sox find themselves, it would be worth it, definitely.

But isn't saying "You draft this guy for me, and then let's trade" the same thing?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:55 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 13m

Source: Very good chance of #WhiteSox starting Adrian Nieto in the Rule 5 draft tomorrow.

Found a couple scouting reports, tool away a few things. From what I gather the guy has the tools to be a good catcher. Has been working on fielding which has stalled his growth at the plate. He was suspended in 2011 , when it looked like he was turning it on (surprise, surprise). Overall not too impressed but you get what you can get in a shotty market for catcher. He is very young however, and is ranked as the 23rd beat prospect for the Nationals.

Comparisons: Gregg Zaun, Johnny Estada

2013 Scouting Report:

A former Aflac All-American and long-time teammate of Eric Hosmer, Nieto has an impressive skillset for a catcher. When the Nationals selected him in the 5th round of the ’08 Draft, many considered Nieto to be the premier switch-hitting catcher in the nation. And though he’s flown under the radar thus far in to his pro career, he’s steadily improved with every promotion and appears poised for a breakout season.

Because he’s a catcher, Nieto has been forced to focus on developing his fielding, while many other prospects are able to go almost full speed ahead on their work in the cage. As a result, he’s still a little bit raw for a guy that just turned 23. But, he’s come along steadily over the past few seasons. After hitting .302/.397/.462 in the New York Penn League in 2010, he’s held his own in the South Atlantic League over the past couple of years, totaling a .256 batting average and .739 OPS.

Nieto’s two best tools are his power and arm strength. He hits well from both sides of the plate, and he has the juice to drive the ball out to all fields. In batting practice, while batting left-handed, he shows plus homerun power to right field, but he’s also learning to drive outside pitches the other way. His aggressive approach is the only thing standing in the way of bringing more power in to games, and he’s done a nice job of exercising a more disciplined approach recently.

Defensively, Nieto has a strong, accurate arm and hes posted pop times in the 1.8-1.9 second range throughout last season. His receiving is improving to a solid level, and while he still has trouble handling hard breaking pitches to his arm side, he looks like he’ll be able to stick at catcher moving forward.

Brief History:

Adrian Nieto's future has never been certain. At the age of 4 his parents had to decide whether or not to take their young son from the shores of the communist nation of Cuba to a new life in the United States. Thirteen hours into the trip the Nieto's found themselves in a 60 year old raft overloaded with 20 people. The group was lost in the ocean, dehydrated and starving. They had to decide whether or not to give up on their quest for freedom. Minutes before turning back to Cuba and what may have been an equally certain death, the group was rescued by the U.S Coast Guard, and taken to Guantanamo Bay.

Held captive in the very same center that today holds the worlds most dangerous terrorists, the Nieto's had no idea what the future had in store for them, or their 4 year old son Adrian. The Nieto's were lucky, they were allowed to go to the states and live with their existing family in southern Florida. 

The family made a home for itself. Adrian grew up and attended American Heritage high school alongside future top 10 pick Eric Hosmer. Nietomade his name on the national scene when he hit .381 with four homers and 27 RBI as a sophomore, earning AFLAC All-American honors. 

His junior year would however leave his future once again in uncertainty. He injured his elbow and knee and could not compile a full season. Scouts began to worry, teammates began to outshine him, and his draft stock began to fall. Before his injury he had committed to Southern Florida, but after he inexplicably decomimitted, confusing and concerning scouts. Nieto put time into his rehab and was able to bounce back his senior year by batting .373 with 21 extra base hits, leading his team to a state championship.

Uncommitted to any school, Nieto turned his attention to the draft. Rumor had it that Nieto was late first, early second round talent. However a much different, much worse rumor was also swirling around. It was assumed by many clubs that Nieto and the Baltimore Orioles had some sort of under the table deal that would stop him from signing with any club except the birds. This caused the promising young catcher to plummet in the draft, until the Washington Nationals took him in the 5th round. Nieto signed with the club no problem and looks forward to being a part of the teams future. 

He expressed his excitement in a great interview with MASN's Kristen Hudak:

"I'm really looking forward to being on the Major League team, hopefully soon, and making them a winner and a contender every year -- bringing them that first championship for all the fans up there because like I said they are really supportive and they deserve that. I really want to be part of that first championship team up there."

"You're never going to forget your first Spring Training. I'm really looking forward to it, to becoming a better baseball player and to make progress, getting closer toward my ultimate dream of becoming a Major Leaguer. (I) just need to get better, every year get a little bit better and try to be one of the best at my position."

Nieto also appears to be a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. He spoke about his baseball influences:

"My favorite baseball player is Pudge Rodriguez. But the guy I really look up to is Derek Jeter, because he's such a big role model, not only on the field but off the field. And he's never really had any problems off the field with controversy or anything like that. He just does everything right. I look up to him because of that. And I want to be like that too. I want to be team captain one day. He's got his own charity too and that's something I would like to have. That's sort of the guy I look up to. My favorite player is Pudge, but I really want to be more of a person or role model like Derek Jeter."

While Nieto's optimism is refreshing, he is still a good ways away from the majors. He is sound defensively behind the plate, and even with the arm injury his

arm is still very strong. His true potential is still yet to be seen, however, as he has not had much experience against professional competition. Playing in 8 games with the Gulf Coast Nationals he went 5/23 with 3 doubles and no homers.

Also listed as top 6 National prospects who could make a difference in 2014:

C Adrian Nieto

I’m less convinced about Nieto’s 2013 improvements being permanent than I am about Souza, but the 2008 5th round pick is finally starting to show a more consistent offensive game (.810, .726, .821 OPS’s over the last 3 years after .656, .624 and .544 in his first 3).

The switch hitter is still raw behind the plate, but could conceivably surpass Sandy Leon or Jhonatan Solano as the backup catcher if a) the Nats don’t sign a veteran backup this offseason and b) Leon and Solano struggle in the beginning of the 2014 season like they did in 2013.

Last one from 2011:

Adrian Nieto was drafted out of Herritage High School in the 5th round of the 2008 Draft by the  Washington Nationals. As you may or may not remember, Nieto had a teammate by the name of Eric Hosmer who was selected third overall in that draft. Drafted as a catcher, Nieto's value was always forseen as coming from behind the plate. Meaning, if his upside is 15-20 home runs, it will be much more valuable to his team if he does so behind the plate rather than at first base. Well, he is still a catcher and is doing one heck of a job doing so. Here's a quick scouting report...

Nieto has tons of upper body strength, but also carries a spare tire. He has been considered as "bad bodied," but for a catcher that isn't the biggest issue one should worry about. He has a plus arm behind the plate, one that scouts have raved about at times, but had an elbow injury not too long ago which was viewed as a possible problem going forward. Regardless, he has a plus arm behind the plate when healthy.

He's already shown power early in the season (clubbing two home runs), which was something scouts had really hoped to see from him. He isn't likely to hit more than 20 or so home runs at the highest level, but if he remains at catcher it'll suit his value and the amount of home runs should be plenty. He has fine plate approach, and stays on pitches well. In fact, he's shown the ability to recognize pitches and is much more selective than he was a few years ago. He hits from both sides of the plate and has shown that he can remain doing so. He is a below average runner with well below average speed but he's in better shape in the past. Obviously, this isn't Michael McDade we're talking about, but Nieto does carry a thick body.

I find it incredibly hard to believe the Sox would draft anyone, let alone a catcher, who has never played above A+. That just seems like a ridiculous idea. If they really like the guy, they can probably trade for him without losing much. Why go the Rule V route and put him in a position where he'll almost certainly fail? And then end up back with the other team anyway?

I really don't see it.

I DO think the Sox will take someone though - either a LHRP or, maybe, Carlos Perez from HOU.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
I find it incredibly hard to believe the Sox would draft anyone, let alone a catcher, who has never played above A+. That just seems like a ridiculous idea. If they really like the guy, they can probably trade for him without losing much. Why go the Rule V route and put him in a position where he'll almost certainly fail? And then end up back with the other team anyway?

I really don't see it.

I DO think the Sox will take someone though - either a LHRP or, maybe, Carlos Perez from HOU.

I agree with this. Drafting an A ball catcher is too massive a burden even for a bad team. Don't see them doing it.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
Anybody have interest in Matt Lollis?

Giant righty (6'9 250) who sits around 96-97 as a starter with a slider that can be very good but its inconsistent. I'm thinking he could be a force if asked to just reach back and throw 99-100 for 1 inning. I'm thinking Bobby Jenks

Sounds like AAAAAARDSMA

Bobby Jenks was one of the best closers we've had here in terms of stuff. Big fastball, big curveball, nice slider & changeup when everything was working. On the whole he was vastly more talented than this guy sounds. We got Bobby on waivers though, largely due to off-field stuff like drinking problems and redneck emo/burn & cut yourself stuff.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 05:50 PM)
From what I read he'll actually be in ST.....I think it's pretty much 15K for the team to hang out with Russell Wilson in ST

That's chump change.

Wouldn't it be $25K?

And I saw the Rangers GM say he would ASK Russell if he would come to ST, and the Seahawks would have to clear it. I do agree that for $25K it would be cool though.

Edited by Chilihead90