Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:25 PM)
"Are you sure they didn't say beware of Clark The Cub?"

Ya know, for a bear I thought he'd be hung just a weeeeee bit more. I didn't really see much at all to be wary of. Unless your knocking down beers and worried what might happen if you pass out before that half nekked bear.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:14 PM)
Here's something to kill your erection:

Brought up the name, "Tanaka," to 2 people at owners meetings this morning. They both had the same response: Beware of the Cubs.

Per Jayson Stark: https://mobile.twitter.com/jaysonst/status/...525400283602944

Maybe it's good he's warming to Chicago. God knows why the hell he would want to pitch for the Cuba besides money.

Those 2 people were Epstein and Hoyer

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:17 PM)
Some of these fan tweets trying to start rumors are amusing.

"BREAKING NEWS! Masahiro Tanaka signs a 7 yr/ 285 Mil deal with the Brew Crew!"

$285 million they can have him, fake or not. He ain't getting more than Kershaw I'll bet a lot on that. In the end I think it comes down to NYY, CHIClark, and LAD (even with Kershaw, I read his contract may be back loaded so they left room for Tanaka hypathteticaly). I still have us at a long shot. It's been crazy how little is out there about what he's thinking. Who knows what the money is at, Gammons suggested anywhere between $100-$125. I think the CWS interest is under rated he fits perfectly with our rebuild but it will come to him wanting to be here over anywhere else, we aren't outbidding anyone. He can get the money from either of those three teams. I think we're competitive at $125-130 but that's our threshold. It's clear we have, had interest with us meeting him but it'll be up to him and his preferences, which no one knows anything about. That's why all this is bs toll he signs. I hope with us.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:25 PM)
$285 million they can have him, fake or not. He ain't getting more than Kershaw I'll bet a lot on that. In the end I think it comes down to NYY, CHIClark, and LAD (even with Kershaw, I read his contract may be back loaded so they left room for Tanaka hypathteticaly). I still have us at a long shot. It's been crazy how little is out there about what he's thinking. Who knows what the money is at, Gammons suggested anywhere between $100-$125. I think the CWS interest is under rated he fits perfectly with our rebuild but it will come to him wanting to be here over anywhere else, we aren't outbidding anyone. He can get the money from either of those three teams. I think we're competitive at $125-130 but that's our threshold. It's clear we have, had interest with us meeting him but it'll be up to him and his preferences, which no one knows anything about. That's why all this is bs toll he signs. I hope with us.

All good points, but no Arizona?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:32 PM)

There's really been nothing out there on them, which could signal something but who knows. Like I said everything is smoke screens and posturing. There was a report earlier that the NYY front office is split on Tanaka. I mean just look at Hayes one minute he says don't count out CWS and then a hour later he says don't count on it.... I think the situation is fluid. There's a lot of negotiations going on and with that teams these days use beat writers and other guy to plant things in the media. Some may be true who knows. I just think our interest is legit. JR being there shows they are at least contemplating a guy everyone knew would at least cost $100 million, or at least rumored to be. IMO if the sox finally break the bank on someone it will be a pitcher, and Tanaka certainly fits the bill. His age, make up, makes a scary 1-2 with sale, and plays well with the ballpark with his best pitch. Well have to see, but until I see a real report he signed don't count Hahn and his negitioning savvy out. He could shock some people, and so can the CWS by landing him. Imagine the sign that sends not only to our fan base but MLB in general. A big F U to the Cubs and Clark the Cub. And what an epic offseason it would be.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:32 PM)

Gotta watch AZ. They have money, a good rotation already in place and a MUCH better team overall than the chubs. Oh, and AZ is much closer to japan than wiggley field.

I think Tanaka is why Towers went after Trumbo instead of a hitter on the FA market. Trumbo is cheaper than a FA and now they can use that money saved to make a serious run at Tanaka. Just a guess.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 07:07 AM)
I agree, Tanaka fits with Hahn's vision of this team competing. If the sox sign him this year there is no reason they can't be looked at as a dark horse for a WC spot much like Cleveland last year and in addition to that we have a lot of payroll flexibility coming into next off season with Dunn(15M) and Kepp(4-8M) coming off the books as well as having a very firm understanding of Carlos Sanchez and Marcus Semien. If Sanchez brings his helium with him from the VZL in his second go around at AAA at the ripe old age of 21 we could have a very good infield for years to come in Abreu, Semien, Davidson and Sanchez while getting value back in Ramirez(11-20M) and Beckham(ARB3) if they preform or are moved before the start of the season. Biggest question marks for this team going forward from '14 LF and C. Hope we can land a great looking backstop and maybe Alfredo Despaigne if he defects.

Keppinger has a 3 year contract.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 27m

Too many obstacles for #WhiteSox/Tanaka. Has to want to be there. The $$$. And, would Sox gamble on him & Abreu at same time? Dont' see it.

I presume as part of describing to Tanaka at the meeting last week by Williams, Hahn, and Ventura how he might fit into the Sox vision for the next several seasons, that the presence of Jose Abreu in the lineup during that timespan was a big selling point. So obviously the Sox brass is well beyond any concerns about acquiring both players this offseason, or else there would have been no reason to have the meeting in the first place.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
Starks is reporting that the Cubs are going hard after Tanaka. Angels involved too

Is there anything beyond his ridiculously poor trolling for followers report of 2 "people" said "beware of the Cubs"?

Not saying Cubs should obviously be players (and with the pitching they have in their system if any team should over-pay it's them), but his report last night was laughable.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
Rangers are looking for left-handed starting pitchers. The only way I see us getting back into the Tanaka sweepstakes is if we can work out a deal with the Rangers and free up some cash.

The Sox don't need to free up any cash though. They aren't going to find more money to pay Tanaka more. They have most likely decided as much as they would pay and if it gets higher than that they will be out on him. If the bidding gets crazy (which it will) they will probably bow out.

Starks is reporting that the Cubs are going hard after Tanaka. Angels involved too

I pay as much attention to this as I do "the Sox are falling out" tweet as I do "beware of the Sox." Frankly, I could care less either way. There's going to be so much bulls*** thrown around in the next week and a half that it's impossible to know what's true and what's not.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
Rangers are looking for left-handed starting pitchers. The only way I see us getting back into the Tanaka sweepstakes is if we can work out a deal with the Rangers and free up some cash.

I disagree 100% with this. They have the money.

Stark hasn't tweeted anything about the cubs being interested in 20 hours. And at that point he said 2 baseball execs said don't count out the Cubs. Doesn't really seem going hard. As for the Angels the GM came out and said they didn't even meet with Tanaka when he was in LA. All this is nonsense till he signs. Tanaka will not sign with the Cubs, there is nothing there for him other than money, and from what is said about his competitive drive he isnt going somewhere to lose at least 80 games for the next three years. As for the Angels, they do not have they money. Not with the contracts given out the past few years and with Trout being due what may be the largest contract in MLB history.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
I pay as much attention to this as I do "the Sox are falling out" tweet as I do "beware of the Sox." Frankly, I could care less either way. There's going to be so much bulls*** thrown around in the next week and a half that it's impossible to know what's true and what's not.

I disagree 100% with this. They have the money.

Exactly. Until they say where he is going, everything should be taken with a grain of salt. You will find out some of these teams never made an offer, some being mentioned now were out long ago, some not mentioned were in it all the way. Some who haven't been involved might become involved. There is a lot more misinformation that actual facts out there right now. I just read today, the Yankees were divided internally as to whether to pursue him or not, and it wasn't because of money.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
Stark hasn't tweeted anything about the cubs being interested in 20 hours. And at that point he said 2 baseball execs said don't count out the Cubs. Doesn't really seem going hard. As for the Angels the GM came out and said they didn't even meet with Tanaka when he was in LA. All this is nonsense till he signs. Tanaka will not sign with the Cubs, there is nothing there for him other than money, and from what is said about his competitive drive he isnt going somewhere to lose at least 80 games for the next three years. As for the Angels, they do not have they money. Not with the contracts given out the past few years and with Trout being due what may be the largest contract in MLB history.

No he hasn't but Rosenthal tweeted about big interest from the Cubs about a half hour ago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
Exactly. Until they say where he is going, everything should be taken with a grain of salt. You will find out some of these teams never made an offer, some being mentioned now were out long ago, some not mentioned were in it all the way. Some who haven't been involved might become involved. There is a lot more misinformation that actual facts out there right now.

Nicely said, and it should be said that both Tanaka's agent and those who met with them said negotiations will be done quietly and confidential. Hahn said as much in his statement, something like we will keep the rest of negotiations or talks quiet until he signs out of respect to Mr. Tanaka. It's pretty obvious there is a lot of unknown with this process, there is barely anything known about who's in or out. Baseball execs, industry sources, rival GMs, are just teams using their beat writers and reporters to plant what they want out there. Mr. Stark is known to be used by many agents and GMs. I hate to say it the only thing confirmed is Hahn, KW, and Ventura meet with him (maybe JR too). We have been the only confirmation so what that says who the hell knows.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
No he hasn't but Rosenthal tweeted about big interest from the Cubs about a half hour ago.

Gotcha.. I'm sorry I don't believe the Cubs have a shot in hell. He may be right the Cubs I'm sure have BIG interest but nothing on that side of town could make pitching there for the next 7 years appealing. The cubs could certainly blow everyone else put of the water $ wise, and yes this kid could surprise me and go where the most $ is, but I don't see it. IMO this is posturing by theo to make sure their interest was reported so if and when they miss out he can say they did everything. That fanbase is losing patience if not lost it and have been expecting Tanaka since last season. I hope he's just trying to steer him away from us. And I'm not going to lie, the longer I go the less confident I get for the WS to sign him. But I just have the gut feeling we had a really good chance. KWs comments to the suntimes were telling a week or so ago, they met him, the $ is clearly there, and he fits PERFECTLY in what we are doing.