2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Eaton missed 5 games with an ankle and will miss something like 2 to 4 weeks with a hamstring injury. This is pretty typical stuff. Not a great start to his White Sox run, but I don't see evidence of an injury prone player. He averaged over 120 games a year in the minors, where not many players get that many games played. While people have wondered if his playing style would cause him injury, his arm injury was throwing-related and what he's dealing with now is somewhere between random occurrence and wear and tear.

clarkspencer ‏@clarkspencer 8m

Source: #marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez undergoing MRI in Los angeles

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 7m

Sources: Jose Fernandez expected to be placed on disabled list. Exact nature of injury not known. #Marlins

QUOTE (bmags @ May 12, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)
would be shocked if it's not Tommy John. (fantasy wise this is devastating for me).

Just goes to show you, just ride sale until it happens. You never know who it's going to happen to.

Exactly. It again makes the Nationals look silly for benching Strasburg for the 2012 playoffs, the future is not a given for any pitcher. Well except Mark Buehrle

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2014 -> 07:19 PM)
Because that didn't happen this year?

It's every other year, I thought. Last one was 2013.

I can't imagine not at least having it in Asia, where MLB is trying to develop the game. Amongst the Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese and Cuban national teams, to name just 4.

The Fernandez situation is sad, but almost predictable, imo. In watching his highlights recently, it appeared that his slider was a very stressful pitch and that he threw it a lot. Haven't found the stats as to the percentages of what he was throwing, but he was falling off the mound every time.

I know very, very little about pitching mechanics, but I figured this wasn't a good thing. Almost posted about it a couple days ago - I guess I would have looked smart. But this sucks, and is bad for the game, obviously. Something (many things) needs to change about the way these kids are being brought along.

In the meantime, more changeups, less sliders, Mr. Sale please.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 12, 2014 -> 09:27 PM)
The Fernandez situation is sad, but almost predictable, imo. In watching his highlights recently, it appeared that his slider was a very stressful pitch and that he threw it a lot. Haven't found the stats as to the percentages of what he was throwing, but he was falling off the mound every time.

I know very, very little about pitching mechanics, but I figured this wasn't a good thing. Almost posted about it a couple days ago - I guess I would have looked smart. But this sucks, and is bad for the game, obviously. Something (many things) needs to change about the way these kids are being brought along.

See Rodon/"The Franchise" 2006 Francisco Liriano

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 13, 2014 -> 12:16 AM)
I hate to see Fernandez hurt.

Agreed, it's a big blow to the game. He is fun to watch pitch. His velocity has dropped Erik Johnson-like in his last few starts.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 12, 2014 -> 10:27 PM)

Just sucks because the slider is Sale's most devastating pitch. As bmags said though, in a way you have to ride your guy and hope for the best. In a way, that's why I'm not too concerned about guys like Kolek (real high velocity at 18) or Rodon (real high pitch counts) to an extent.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 12, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
Agreed, it's a big blow to the game. He is fun to watch pitch. His velocity has dropped Erik Johnson-like in his last few starts.

Just sucks because the slider is Sale's most devastating pitch. As bmags said though, in a way you have to ride your guy and hope for the best. In a way, that's why I'm not too concerned about guys like Kolek (real high velocity at 18) or Rodon (real high pitch counts) to an extent.

Risk is always going to be part of it, but maybe these prospect showcases and 8-9 months of pitching annually needs to end, pronto. But these things probably make money, so good luck with that.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 13, 2014 -> 12:21 AM)

The slider is not inherently a more stressful pitch. It is only more stressful when you drop down to get more slide to it as opposed to drop. If you throw it properly it's no more stressful than a fastball, the problem is many pitchers change either the elbow or shoulder angle to make it move more. This makes it a better pitch and tougher to hit but causes more stress.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 12, 2014 -> 10:27 PM)

The guy with the best changeup of this generation has had his career derailed by shoulder injuries. Just wanted to point it out.