2014 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
Not a huge fan of Nix at #14, but I do like him overall. Hopefully this dream was the Bears trading down to take him. Because I can't rationalize using the 14th pick on Nix.

If Donald isn't on the board, I hope they wait until R2 or R3 to take a DT. Maybe even hope one of the top DTs falls out of the 1st round, and then possibly trade up a few spots to snag them (a la, Alshon Jeffery).

Also, I hate that all the draftniks are now hoping on the Dominique Easley bandwagon. Even after the 2nd ACL tear, I continued to be a big proponent of taking him in the 2nd or 3rd round, and saw it as a major steal. Seems that he's working his way back up now.

Easley has been a favorite of many of the draft guys on twitter all season. He's a top 10 talent. Just major injury concerns. If you are a big fan of the draft, I'd follow the thoughts of many of the lesser name guys putting a ton of time in instead of Kiper,McShay, or Mayock.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
Easley has been a favorite of many of the draft guys on twitter all season. He's a top 10 talent. Just major injury concerns. If you are a big fan of the draft, I'd follow the thoughts of many of the lesser name guys putting a ton of time in instead of Kiper,McShay, or Mayock.

Really? Because I wasn't feeling any love for him until his Pro Day last week. And the interesting thing about your comment is that I do follow many of the lesser known guys. I don't listen to Kiper, McShay, or Mayock at all. But most of my opinions come are my own. I enjoy seeing how they line up with others.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 11:04 PM)
Bears DT position is brutal right now. They have a major need at the position. I'm not saying they don't have a major need at safety either, but I am not going to get on them if they take a DT. It is such a huge need.

I think I'd like an addition at DT but izzy Collins peaea and Ratliff with some Houston isn't brutal comparatively.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
So, the QBs are apparently falling down the board. Despite the team's needs on defense, is there a QB you take if he's there at 14?

What if a team wants to trade up from the 30s to 14?

No the Bears should not draft a 1st round QB. They should also not draft a 2nd round QB.

If a team wants to trade up and gives the Bears a fair offer where they wind up with ~2 2nd rounders, they should absolutely do that. This is a deep enough draft where they ought to be able to find 2 starters (Safety and DT, for example) in 3 second round picks.

If the Bears targeted a QB they liked in the 3rd round or after, I'd have zero issues with that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 08:02 AM)
No the Bears should not draft a 1st round QB. They should also not draft a 2nd round QB.

If a team wants to trade up and gives the Bears a fair offer where they wind up with ~2 2nd rounders, they should absolutely do that. This is a deep enough draft where they ought to be able to find 2 starters (Safety and DT, for example) in 3 second round picks.

If the Bears targeted a QB they liked in the 3rd round or after, I'd have zero issues with that.

Agreed. San Fran has a plethora of picks, I'd love to see them be the trade partners and they give up the 30th pick, a 2nd and a 3rd(works out on the value scale). Like you said this draft is said to be really deep, I've heard people throw out quotes like "There's 1st round talent in the 2nd and 2nd round talent in the 4th". If they can get 6 picks in those first 4 rounds that'd be incredible

(since I'm bored) They could then go with something sexy like....

1-30- Timmy Jernigan DT

2-51- Ed Reynolds FS

2-61- Deone Bucannon SS

3-77- Pierre Desir CB

3-82- Anthony Johnson DT

4-117- Aaron Murray/Logan Thomas/Taj Boyd

Why on earth would San Fran give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for the 14th pick? I understand the draft pick value, but that's a ton to give up in a draft that is absolutely loaded with talent.

Their biggest needs moving forward are probably a rush linebacker because Aldon Smith is a psycho and defensive end because Justin Smith is getting older. They can satisfy both of those needs later in the draft.

Frankly, I think EVERYONE wants to trade down in this draft.

EDIT: The Niners could use a receiver too, but again, they can get that later in the draft.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
Why on earth would San Fran give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for the 14th pick? I understand the draft pick value, but that's a ton to give up in a draft that is absolutely loaded with talent.

Their biggest needs moving forward are probably a rush linebacker because Aldon Smith is a psycho and defensive end because Justin Smith is getting older. They can satisfy both of those needs later in the draft.

EDIT: The Niners could use a receiver too, but again, they can get that later in the draft.

I agree that it sounds unrealistic, but I'm just going by the draft pick value chart. The values match up 1100(Bears) vs 1036(SF)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)

One thing to remember with San Fran is...they have so many picks there's a very good chance that if they used them all, they could not keep people on their roster. It's not like they're starved for talent already and they're sitting on enough picks to fill out 20% of a roster. It simply makes sense to move up on some of those for no other reason.

Also...if a number of teams are considering moving down, that might push the price they need to pay to move up even lower.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
One thing to remember with San Fran is...they have so many picks there's a very good chance that if they used them all, they could not keep people on their roster. It's not like they're starved for talent already and they're sitting on enough picks to fill out 20% of a roster. It simply makes sense to move up on some of those for no other reason.

Also...if a number of teams are considering moving down, that might push the price they need to pay to move up even lower.

I should say that I wouldn't doubt that they do move, just that they're not going to give up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
I should say that I wouldn't doubt that they do move, just that they're not going to give up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for it.

If that's the draft sheet price for the 14th pick, it could be possible, but as I noted in the second clause, it could depend on how much demand there is to move up. If the 49ers are the only team looking to move up and there are 20 teams looking to move down, the price to move up will decrease.

It seems like Atlanta and Detroit are both trying to move up in the draft. Sounds like they both want Clowney.

@JasonLaCanfora

There are no shortage of execs in the league who believe the Texans best odds of trading out of 1st overall is w/ Atlanta to get Clowney

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
As a Bears fan, I would love that as well. I think Anthony Barr is one the most overrated players in this draft.

I love his upside. He has size, speed and power. Has only been playing defense for two years.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
I love his upside. He has size, speed and power. Has only been playing defense for two years.

It seems to me that a lot of times, guys get recruited as offensive players and they end up transitioning to defense for any number of reasons. Jon Beason was a fullback at one point for Miami but he's been a great linebacker in the NFL, and Richard Sherman was recruited as a WR and now he's a shutdown corner. Barr is still a bit raw, but there is definitely some incredible upside there. There have been concerns about his technique, given how little he's played, but the upside is huge.

Frankly, he seems like a boom/bust prospect. I could definitely see him either going the route of Merriman or Maybin.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
It seems to me that a lot of times, guys get recruited as offensive players and they end up transitioning to defense for any number of reasons. Jon Beason was a fullback at one point for Miami but he's been a great linebacker in the NFL, and Richard Sherman was recruited as a WR and now he's a shutdown corner. Barr is still a bit raw, but there is definitely some incredible upside there. There have been concerns about his technique, given how little he's played, but the upside is huge.

Frankly, he seems like a boom/bust prospect. I could definitely see him either going the route of Merriman or Maybin.

JJ Watt, too.

Barr definitely seems boom or bust.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
I'm starting to think that Teddy Bridgewater might fall to the Vikings. Was hoping that wouldn't happen.

I think that's the best scenario for them. Manziel should would pump up the fanbase though, regardless of how he pans out.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
I'm starting to think that Teddy Bridgewater might fall to the Vikings. Was hoping that wouldn't happen.

I love Bridgewater. He's not really a fit for what Norv wants to do on offense though. I wouldn't be surprised if they go defense in round 1 and then try to maneuver their way to selecting Mettenberger. He fits perfectly. Carr fits as well.