Matt Lindstrom is the closer

Buehrle>Wood

Personally, I think this is an indication that the organization feels good about Jones, Belisario, and Webb in the middle innings. Fabian mentioned it in the conference call, but the Sox talk and know how closers usually will come into games clean in the 9th and the tougher outs a lot of times are in the mid to late innings - 6th, 7th, and 8th. Lindstrom, even with big velocity numbers, has never been a big strikeout guy, but he does throw a lot of worm burners and, more importantly, does not allow a lot of home runs (5.4% HR/FB). If the Sox go into the 9th with a 2 run lead, the opposition is almost certainly going to have to string together 3 hits at some point.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
Which may make him more attractive to teams at the trade deadline if he does well.

Which is brilliant, because he can certainly handle the job. Worst case is he gets traded for a useful piece, best case we're competing and he's a large part.

QUOTE (vegandork @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
Which is brilliant, because he can certainly handle the job. Worst case is he gets traded for a useful piece, best case we're competing and he's a large part.

He did what you like to see from a closer . He came in throwing strikes. I think the 1st 3 hitters were all down 0-2 in the count.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:31 PM)
ummm...the last out of the game was against a lefty. and all he did was dribble it back to the pitcher.

I'm pretty sure he meant all of last year where he struggled getting lefties out as opposed to just the 1st lefty he has faced this year.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 06:31 AM)
I appreciate you judging Matt Lindstrom's ability to get out LH batters by one at bat to Oswaldo Arcia but that doesn't quite show the full picture.

Lefties against Lindstrom in 2013: .317/.400/.378/.778

Lefties against Lindstrom in his career: .284/.357/.394/.751

Well you did say he CAN'T get leftys out. I was just pointing out that the last batter was lefty. So maybe he can get some out?

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
Well you did say he CAN'T get leftys out. I was just pointing out that the last batter was lefty. So maybe he can get some out?

Really? Comparatively speaking, he gets hit pretty hard against lefties compared to most relievers. Of course he can get lefties out, but if I face enough of them, I can get lefties out too.

Agreed. Considering our circumstances, if he can get a nice enough save % rate he would be very attractive to x competitive team with injured closer at mid-year. Let's get Jones and Webb experience getting out of stressful innings before they take over.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
Really? Comparatively speaking, he gets hit pretty hard against lefties compared to most relievers. Of course he can get lefties out, but if I face enough of them, I can get lefties out too.

somebody sarcasm meter is off today.

I didn't think everyone would get so twisted off a sarcastic joke

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
somebody sarcasm meter is off today.

I didn't think everyone would get so twisted off a sarcastic joke

Due to numerous reasons, I think your ability to portray sarcasm on message boards is off.