Attendance

Buehrle>Wood

Kauffman is about a 35-45 minute drive on I-435 for the majority of the fans coming from Johnson County, Kansas.

That said, there are two interstates meeting there, there's a TON of parking for both the football and baseball stadiums together...but a lot of the same issues about nothing to really do in that area, other than tailgating for Chiefs' games.

You've got some fastfood restaurants like Taco Bell across the street than fans would/could grab some food at if they're in the mood for saving money on ballpark food, but nothing resembling an entertainment district, which is more downtown (Power & Light District, where the Sprint Center's at as well).

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tannerfan @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
So black people are nobody's.

Sad.

With four Cubans on their team alone, I wonder how much marketing is directed towards Hispanic fans?

Seems that a lot of major league teams have given up on anything besides RBI as their African-American outreach in terms of marketing, and that program hasn't exactly produced a bonanza of prospects in the twenty years or so since it began, but the White Sox have had a lot of identifiable Hispanic players like Aparacio, Ordonez and Guillen, now Abreu.

What's their percentage of the attendance-base? 1%? 2%? 3%?

And yet Hispanics are the fastest growing percentage of the typical MLB fanbase, now comprising around 14% of the total US population.

What's the percentage breakdown in the area within a 15 mile radius (especially South) of USCF?

I know the White Sox has that Orgullo Sox (Sox Pride) section of their website, and the Hispanic broadcasting team...but haven't heard nearly as much about that after Guillen left as manager.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
With four Cubans on their team alone, I wonder how much marketing is directed towards Hispanic fans?

Seems that a lot of major league teams have given up on anything besides RBI as their African-American outreach in terms of marketing, and that program hasn't exactly produced a bonanza of prospects in the twenty years or so since it began, but the White Sox have had a lot of identifiable Hispanic players like Aparacio, Ordonez and Guillen, now Abreu.

What's their percentage of the attendance-base? 1%? 2%? 3%?

And yet Hispanics are the fastest growing percentage of the typical MLB fanbase, now comprising around 14% of the total US population.

What's the percentage breakdown in the area within a 15 mile radius (especially South) of USCF?

I know the White Sox has that Orgullo Sox (Sox Pride) section of their website, and the Hispanic broadcasting team...but haven't heard nearly as much about that after Guillen left as manager.

I don't know about the marketing, but there are a good number of Hispanic people attending games.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 13, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
Has SoxTalk ever done a group outing? I haven't been here that long so I don't know if that is something SoxTalk has done before but if a mod, or anyone for that matter, could let me know, I would appreciate it. Anyways, I will have my hands on some pretty serious promo codes for an upcoming summer game.

I should have the final date and ticket prices soon but I'm thinking there is going to be three tiers (bleachers, outfielder reserves and lower reserves at $10, $12 and $20 respectively). There should be upper deck reserves for $10 as well but it's still getting sorted out. The tentative date is Friday, June 13th against the Royals. All tickets would be purchased through whitesox.com.

I am just trying to gauge interest and see if that's something the posters would be interested in. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions and will start a thread if interest is there and the mod team is okay with it. Regardless of whether the site is interested in doing a group outing or not, I will definitely make the promo code available to any posters here who would be interested in a good game at a discounted price. Please let me know what you all think!

DISCLAIMER: Moderating team - Please be diligent in correcting this post if it is outside of the site guidelines. I would totally understand if this were to be an issue.

We have done outings in the past. If people were interested in doing something, I'd be down for trying.

Has SoxTalk ever done a group outing? I haven't been here that long so I don't know if that is something SoxTalk has done before but if a mod, or anyone for that matter, could let me know, I would appreciate it. Anyways, I will have my hands on some pretty serious promo codes for an upcoming summer game.

I should have the final date and ticket prices soon but I'm thinking there is going to be three tiers (bleachers, outfielder reserves and lower reserves at $10, $12 and $20 respectively). There should be upper deck reserves for $10 as well but it's still getting sorted out. The tentative date is Friday, June 13th against the Royals. All tickets would be purchased through whitesox.com.

I am just trying to gauge interest and see if that's something the posters would be interested in. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions and will start a thread if interest is there and the mod team is okay with it. Regardless of whether the site is interested in doing a group outing or not, I will definitely make the promo code available to any posters here who would be interested in a good game at a discounted price. Please let me know what you all think!

DISCLAIMER: Moderating team - Please be diligent in correcting this post if it is outside of the site guidelines. I would totally understand if this were to be an issue.

There used to be a group outing together with WSI. But they are our arch rivals. I spit on the ground they walk on.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 13, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Well basing off this, I'll assume it's okay with the moderating team here to at least entertain the idea. I'd be happy to facilitate and coordinate some sort of plan if interest is shown.

Ironically, the "WSI vs. Soxtalk Softball Thread" over at WSI was how I learned of this site.

Absolutely. You have the blessing. I won't even make you kiss the ring.

I will be coming in town that Saturday afternoon so if you could make it June 15th (Sunday) I would be able to go.

I have argued this on Facebook and other sites:

If the weekday traffic was such an issue for suburban fans, then the park would have better attendance on weekends. But there seems to be less at the park on Sundays with reduced tix and parking on a Sunday afternoon when the kids are typically up.

$30 for a family of four on a Sunday afternoon WITH PARKING should be sellouts every Sunday.

Yeah, people have stuff. It's not like Sunday afternoon traffic on 90/94 is a joy for anyone.

I think it's the fact that 5 years of largely inconsequential baseball north and south (barring 2012) has led to a serious deteriation of fan interest of baseball. Add to that late playoff runs for bulls and Blackhawks, and then that ends and baseball sucks and people are just waiting for football.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 13, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
He should rip himself for batting Leury Garcia 1st.

Amen. What a dumb move. L. Garcia is not one of my faves.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
And on top of that, there is every reason to believe that over the lifetime of a ballpark there will be several more large spikes in fuel prices.

People that are worried about gas prices driving to a game are not going to games anyway. TOO EXPENSIVE.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 13, 2014 -> 08:29 PM)
I will be coming in town that Saturday afternoon so if you could make it June 15th (Sunday) I would be able to go.

If I go, what are the odds of me getting punched out if I reveal who I am? If I wore a Guillen jersey would odds be even greater of me getting whacked?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 13, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
Amen. What a dumb move. L. Garcia is not one of my faves.

People that are worried about gas prices driving to a game are not going to games anyway. TOO EXPENSIVE.

If I go, what are the odds of me getting punched out if I reveal who I am? If I wore a Guillen jersey would odds be even greater of me getting whacked?

That's why we have gatherings. We lure in the people we don't like, and we punch them. If that doesn't work, we whack them.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 12, 2014 -> 10:37 PM)
How many fans nowadays who can afford tickets end up taking transit to the Cell for night games where the thought is you'll get mugged?

You’re proof that the only people that still think this are the people that never actually go to the games.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ May 13, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
I have argued this on Facebook and other sites:

If the weekday traffic was such an issue for suburban fans, then the park would have better attendance on weekends. But there seems to be less at the park on Sundays with reduced tix and parking on a Sunday afternoon when the kids are typically up.

$30 for a family of four on a Sunday afternoon WITH PARKING should be sellouts every Sunday.

They do average more attendance on weekends. A little over 19,000 on Fri-Sun and about 17,000 Mon-Thurs.

It would be a bigger difference but the weekday total is boosted by opening day and the 2 games vs the Cubs.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
You're proof that the only people that still think this are the people that never actually go to the games.

I have a buddy who got roughed up pretty good just two seasons ago after a game on the El. He was too scared to press charges. Fool. The thug will just rough up somebody else.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 13, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)

It's not just gas prices for that trip. In a modern, solid-transit city like Chicago, if gas prices rise, then many people simply will not own automobiles at all. Census data say that 29% of the households in Chicago did not own a car in the year 2000 when gas prices were fairly low; that number has almost certainly increased since then.

I have both driven and taken the Red Line to the games for years, even back when the Red Line stop for 35th wasn't in the middle of the Dan Ryan but over on State when the Robert Taylor Homes were still around. I admit it was a little nervewracking walking back to that stop after an extra inning game with little crowd, but it was fine. The CTA seems to be getting it's act together fixing up stations and it's tracks. For me, that is now the way to go, but if the price of parking is an issue, go to a bar or restaurant near the park before the game and park on the street for free. Ask them for a temporary parking pass. They will give you one.

If you want to go Friday against SD and The Carlos Quentin, here's a deal, and it's fireworks night, which means either, A. watch the surprisingly nice show, or B. Quick getaway.

Get Lower Box tickets for $25 ($40 value) or snag seats in Outfield Reserved for only $12 ($22 value). Bleachers and Upper Box tickets are available for just $10/per ticket on this exciting day ($15-$20 value).

Your special offer code is ACADEMY.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
If you want to go Friday against SD and The Carlos Quentin, here's a deal, and it's fireworks night, which means either, A. watch the surprisingly nice show, or B. Quick getaway.

Get Lower Box tickets for $25 ($40 value) or snag seats in Outfield Reserved for only $12 ($22 value). Bleachers and Upper Box tickets are available for just $10/per ticket on this exciting day ($15-$20 value).

Your special offer code is ACADEMY.

Quentin's actually not hurt again and going to play?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
It's not just gas prices for that trip. In a modern, solid-transit city like Chicago, if gas prices rise, then many people simply will not own automobiles at all. Census data say that 29% of the households in Chicago did not own a car in the year 2000 when gas prices were fairly low; that number has almost certainly increased since then.

I did not know that. That must be weird to have to take the bus anywhere you need to go.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
I did not know that. That must be weird to have to take the bus anywhere you need to go.

I did for about 2 years when I lived in Chicago. Then, when I got a car again later, I still took the bus in a lot of instances. It's got its downsides, no doubt, but it beats the hell out of dealing with traffic and parking frequently IMO.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)

Trains are better than buses, and if the weather is OK, a bike is better than a bus. If I take the bus to work, even with bus tracker which will tell me when the bus will be at my stop, it takes about 20 minutes from the time I step on the bus to the time I sit at my desk. It's about 12 minutes from the time I walk out my door until the time I sit at my desk if I take a bike. If I take a bus to work, I will walk home.

I don't own a car anymore. I use car sharing. Zipcar. The other thing is, when you are used to it, you walk a lot. Walking a mile or 2, I think nothing of it. When I was younger and lived in the suburbs, I would drive to go half a mile.

Edited by Dick Allen