AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!

Heads22

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 06:15 PM)
Maybe I am spoiled by 15 years of Paul Konerko, but that is a play a 1B should make in his sleep.

Maybe not in his sleep, but I'll agree he should have made a couple of those. Oh, well add another DH to the team.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 10:36 PM)
Don't forget, IIRC, we also got to .500 on May 26th of last year after our sweep of Miami. Don't get too excited.

I think it's safe to say nobody on this board (cept for El Rockin; yu know I love your enthusiasm El Rockin) is going to get "too excited" unless we're somehow .500 or better at the all star break. I'm just happy we won one of the three games in KC thanks to Sale. And I have to give my props to our lineup for getting 5 runs. That's not too shabby on a Sunday in KC.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)
#1, it is a play a first baseman should make in his sleep.

#2, it was one of many plays he hasn't been able to dig out, and cost the team outs.

Can't we all agree Abreu is a disaster defensively but hopefully will be a stellar DH?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 08:47 PM)
I think it's safe to say nobody on this board (cept for El Rockin; yu know I love your enthusiasm El Rockin) is going to get "too excited" unless we're somehow .500 or better at the all star break. I'm just happy we won one of the three games in KC thanks to Sale. And I have to give my props to our lineup for getting 5 runs. That's not too shabby on a Sunday in KC.

I think we will be in the playoff race until mid September. Book it.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 09:58 PM)

YES------------That means Hahn becomes a buyer at trade deadline and resigns Dunn to a multi year deal and trades several prospects for a few rent a players.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 08:20 PM)
YES------------That means Hahn becomes a buyer at trade deadline and resigns Dunn to a multi year deal and trades several prospects for a few rent a players.

What in his trade history so far has shown he would do anything remotely resembling bringing back Dunn?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 01:58 AM)

I think u are crazy Big Hurt. Our team shows all the signs of being worse than last year, quite frankly. Abysmal defense with a worse bullpen than a year ago. The starting pitching sans Sale (and hopefully Danks) isn't anything to write home about, either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
Nice to see the team adding runs late.

I totally bank that on this teams attitude. I've heard from multiple people that guys like Eaton have changed their mentality. It excites me for the future because I think the mentality of a club is half the battle. These guys literally think they should win. Last year they wondered how they would lose.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 10:13 PM)
I think u are crazy Big Hurt. Our team shows all the signs of being worse than last year, quite frankly. Abysmal defense with a worse bullpen than a year ago. The starting pitching sans Sale (and hopefully Danks) isn't anything to write home about, either.

Did you watch last season and how do you not include Quintana?

I believe the complete opposite. Last years team had one of the worst attitudes I've ever seen.

Its a bold statement but I am basing this just off of the first week. Our bullpen has been bad but I think it will get better. Relievers are always so up and down, it isn't unthinkable for 3 or 4 guys have a great run in the bullpen. Lindstrom, Belisario, and Downs are all veterans who have had solid careers, Jones has been solid when healthy, and we all have high hopes for Webb, and Cleto has shown that he can be a good bullpen arm as well. The bullpen will come together as the season goes on and if they struggle they will find replacements..

The defense is the biggest issue I would say this team has, hope that comes along and I just don't think it will cost the team too much. The starting rotation has 3 strong lefties IMO, a rookie in Johnson who I think as the season comes along will get better (unless he has an injury), and Paulino is a serviceable #5 and if he struggles we have other options as well.

The hitting is what has intrigued me. We can score without hitting home runs, we have a lot of speed, and they don't give up when down like last year. These young guys give a lot of energy to the team and I just think they will surprise everyone. I am probably completely wrong but if I am right I will sound like a genius. ;)

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 09:39 PM)
Its a bold statement but I am basing this just off of the first week. Our bullpen has been bad but I think it will get better. Relievers are always so up and down, it isn't unthinkable for 3 or 4 guys have a great run in the bullpen. Lindstrom, Belisario, and Downs are all veterans who have had solid careers, Jones has been solid when healthy, and we all have high hopes for Webb, and Cleto has shown that he can be a good bullpen arm as well. The bullpen will come together as the season goes on and if they struggle they will find replacements..

The defense is the biggest issue I would say this team has, hope that comes along and I just don't think it will cost the team too much. The starting rotation has 3 strong lefties IMO, a rookie in Johnson who I think as the season comes along will get better (unless he has an injury), and Paulino is a serviceable #5 and if he struggles we have other options as well.

The hitting is what has intrigued me. We can score without hitting home runs, we have a lot of speed, and they don't give up when down like last year. These young guys give a lot of energy to the team and I just think they will surprise everyone. I am probably completely wrong but if I am right I will sound like a genius. ;)

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, happens to the attitude of the team when Semien is sent back to AAA for Beckham.

As much as Rios had a great set of tools and was an individually-talented player, he never seemed to be a great teammate.

A lot of pressure is going to be on the starting staff to pitch over mistakes in the field. They failed miserably at that last year, and there's likely to be even more errors (than 2013) unless Abreu improves quickly on scooping balls in the dirt.

In Quintana's start, he really got rattled when he had a strikeout and then picked off the runner and still didn't get the out. That sequence cost them in a lot of ways.

They can't have that happening over and over again...or the bullpen blowing nearly every lead.

Still, I agree with the premise that Eaton's energy/determination brings a new facet to the offense we've been lacking. It's nice to have a core of younger players to watch, even with their struggles. DeAza isn't old by any stretch, and he/Viciedo/Beckham/Ramirez are the veterans, as Dunn/Konerko are both on the way out.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 10:39 PM)

All I've heard from inside is how different this team is. Last yea they supposedly checked out at one point.

Eaton apparently wore on the vets on his old team, here he is one of the biggest leaders. That's good for us.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)
All I've heard from inside is how different this team is. Last yea they supposedly checked out at one point.

Eaton apparently wore on the vets on his old team, here he is one of the biggest leaders. That's good for us.

Now it's definitely Sale, in many ways...like when he went after the hitter with three inside fastballs until he got warned.

It should have been Beckham's role to take, but the results on the field haven't been there to merit a position of leadership...and DeAza and Ramirez aren't by nature leaders.

Another natural leader on our team should be the catcher, and Flowers/Phegley haven't performed well in that regard, although Flowers at least has the respect of the pitching staff, seemingly. If you look at the Cardinals, everything flows from Matheny/Molina outward, and that element has been sorely lacking ever since AJ left. In the void/chasm left, nothing filled its place last year and the team just collapsed like a black hole when adversity struck and Konerko was struggling through his worst season ever.

Abreu seems a LOT like Konerko, a pretty quiet guy...professional approach, but not a vocal/in your face type. Same with Quintana (or Hector Santiago, for that matter). Hard worker, great kid, but not a born/natural leader.

So yeah, it's not surprising that Eaton is already inserting himself into that role...even if right now it's more by his playing style and attitude.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)

I think it is huge. I feel like this team has a lot more chemistry and there is a more upbeat attitude. I noticed this team was different today when Garcia was hurt in the outfield and we had 3 or 4 guys standing around making sure he was ok. I don't remember something like that from last year. And I don't think if that was Rios you would have had guys around him worried.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 03:39 AM)

On the glass half empty side ... I don't like Paulino and I love Quintana but he still has a lot to prove. Same with Danks. That Johnson guy could go either way is how I see it.

I hope you are right about the bullpen. I just don't see it, especially with no closer. I just don't see us closing out many games. For instance, I'm glad the boys got four insurance runs today because no way our closer would have held KC in the ninth. Now Sale ... he might have come out in the ninth and he coulda finished off KC, but not our closer.

The defense is just going to kill this team as well as the bullpen. That's how I see it.

I really wish we'd get rid of Dunn, make Abreu DH and let Paulie finish his last year as everyday first baseman. It would help the defense a tad.

How quickly some people forget that just a few weeks ago they themselves projected struggles early on as Abreu adjusted. He's still got about two months of grace period before anyone should be getting on him about anything, including defense. He might be a bad defender but every scouting report I've seen had him pegged as decent. It shouldn't be at all surprising if he's below average right now, so let's just all wait until the dust has settled a little bit.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 11:18 PM)
Now it's definitely Sale, in many ways...like when he went after the hitter with three inside fastballs until he got warned.

It should have been Beckham's role to take, but the results on the field haven't been there to merit a position of leadership...and DeAza and Ramirez aren't by nature leaders.

Another natural leader on our team should be the catcher, and Flowers/Phegley haven't performed well in that regard, although Flowers at least has the respect of the pitching staff, seemingly. If you look at the Cardinals, everything flows from Matheny/Molina outward, and that element has been sorely lacking ever since AJ left. In the void/chasm left, nothing filled its place last year and the team just collapsed like a black hole when adversity struck and Konerko was struggling through his worst season ever.

Abreu seems a LOT like Konerko, a pretty quiet guy...professional approach, but not a vocal/in your face type. Same with Quintana (or Hector Santiago, for that matter). Hard worker, great kid, but not a born/natural leader.

So yeah, it's not surprising that Eaton is already inserting himself into that role...even if right now it's more by his playing style and attitude.

So here's the rub. I don't think Beckham is in the future plans.

Flowers, thought I hate him as a player, is an incredible clubhouse guy. I still think he's a future

Backup somewhere else. Phegley seemed to have a lot of support.

One other sleeper leader: Chris Sale. At his age he has Buehele type influence. He's know as a die hard competitor. Quintana is getting there as well and Danks is highly respected.

Lots of room to grow but I like the core. Davidson should be part but EVERYONE love Gilespie.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 11:30 PM)
I think it is huge. I feel like this team has a lot more chemistry and there is a more upbeat attitude. I noticed this team was different today when Garcia was hurt in the outfield and we had 3 or 4 guys standing around making sure he was ok. I don't remember something like that from last year. And I don't think if that was Rios you would have had guys around him worried.

And who was the ring leader there? These guys have bought in.

Hey Greg, are Royals fans worried about their bullpen?? Ya know, the bullpen that has a 17.00 ERA vs the Sox pen that has a 6.14 ERA.

Way too early to get up in arms about the pen.

Downs, Belly, and Lindstrom are all vets who have been consistent late innings relievers. Cleto and Jones are highly intriguing arms who, if they can harness their stuff, can be really good relievers. Petricka and Veal have both shown in the past that they can be good options....And Webb might be the best of the bunch.

They won't be anything great, and they will probably blow the Sox a few games, but they won't be as bad as they have been the first week of the season....Much like the KC pen won't be as bad(worse than the Sox) as it's been.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 12:57 AM)
I remember Abreu and Eaton for sure and I think Alexei

Yeah. And they rushed there. Don't discount Eaton's effect on this clubhouse. And Abreu for a weak English speaker has already gained

Lots of respect.

Some people don't realize who really led the 2005 team. And it wasn't Ozzie.