Sox sign Tommy Hanson

GGajewski18

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
Personally, I don't mind the late ER as much. Sale has some of this. It does create some stress. What I don't like is the lack of trunk flexion and hip flexion during the follow through. He stands up too straight after the pitch and wraps his arm around after the pitch. This makes the posterior shoulder absorb the forces that cannot be dissipated through a longer eccentric contraction. thus he gets to the fully cocked position late and doesn't dissipate the forces later. This was always my comment on Peavy. It drives me crazy when pitchers have the poor follow through.

Very interesting. Thanks!

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
Personally, I don't mind the late ER as much. Sale has some of this. It does create some stress. What I don't like is the lack of trunk flexion and hip flexion during the follow through. He stands up too straight after the pitch and wraps his arm around after the pitch. This makes the posterior shoulder absorb the forces that cannot be dissipated through a longer eccentric contraction. thus he gets to the fully cocked position late and doesn't dissipate the forces later. This was always my comment on Peavy. It drives me crazy when pitchers have the poor follow through.

This pretty much describes the flaw in my own delivery if I'm following you correctly. I have the SLAP repair, biceps tenodesis, and infraspinatus repair as evidence for your argument

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
He's the poster boy as to why you shouldn't throw 25% sliders. Take note, Chris Sale.

(of course, Randy Johnson averaged 38.6% from 02-09)

Liriano finally has bounced back nicely from the surgeries, though.

But TJ, not shoulder. Johan Santana's a completely different story.

Knowledge and rehabilitation from shoulder injuries has improved over the past few years with the caveat that expectations be tempered. Prior to Santana re-destroying his shoulder, likely thanks a lot to his 150 pitch no hitter, was pitching very well, Danks looks much improved, Chien-Ming Wang has bounced around and could probably stick as a #5 with some team. This is a perfect worthwhile gamble.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 05:20 PM)
Knowledge and rehabilitation from shoulder injuries has improved over the past few years with the caveat that expectations be tempered. Prior to Santana re-destroying his shoulder, likely thanks a lot to his 150 pitch no hitter, was pitching very well, Danks looks much improved, Chien-Ming Wang has bounced around and could probably stick as a #5 with some team. This is a perfect worthwhile gamble.

I think you just doomed Edwin Jackson and Verlander.

On second thought, the Cubs might be happier with the insurance payouts and moving on.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 06:23 PM)
I think you just doomed Edwin Jackson and Verlander.

On second thought, the Cubs might be happier with the insurance payouts and moving on.

Those guys never had injury concerns though. Jackson's 150 pitch game (also his no-hitter) was like 4 years ago. Santana had a reconstructed shoulder.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
This pretty much describes the flaw in my own delivery if I'm following you correctly. I have the SLAP repair, biceps tenodesis, and infraspinatus repair as evidence for your argument

Could be. Your injuries are from the posterior and superior aspects of the glenohumeral joint so it would follow this same train of thought.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 10:38 PM)
Next week we're going to acquire Brandon Webb, too?

Bring back Hudson?

By the way, how is Dice-K doing these days? Anyone been following him?

After Paulinos performance tonight we should just sign them all.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 12:37 AM)
Paulino wouldn't start another game. I'd use young guys f*** it. Give them the experience

You're telling me you honestly want to start Chris Beck when he's not close to being ready?

Then what happens when you completely destroy his confidence...it would be one thing if he was striking out 9-12 batters per game, but he's usually at 3-6.

Or that you would rather see Axelrod/Doyle, etc.?

As it is, we're already dealing with one youngster's growing pains in Johnson. He has only made six major league starts. Pretty soon, some will be calling for him to be sent down for more seasoning.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (staxx @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)
After Paulinos performance tonight we should just sign them all.

Paulino has a better chance of being an all-star level pitcher than all of them. He is going to take some work as, like Cleto, command has always been his biggest issue. Paulino is going to have some starts like this, the key for him is to work to move forward from it. Paulino has a chance to be a productive pitcher for the Sox but we are going to have to weather some of these bad starts at the beginning.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 10:38 PM)
Next week we're going to acquire Brandon Webb, too?

Bring back Hudson?

By the way, how is Dice-K doing these days? Anyone been following him?

What is the point of mocking this deal?

It is literally no risk to the White Sox. They aren't even giving up a 40 man roster spot. If he sucks, you cut him, no harm. On the small chance that he succeeds at all, you have another Estaban Loiaza.

Heck if they could bring in all of those guys on similar deals, I'd be for it. If even one gets back to near form, that is a huge freaking steal for literally nothing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
I would rather watch Axelrod than Paulinos 20 pitch an inning performances.

I think the Sox have to commit to Paulino for about 8 starts. If it's mostly garbage, then yeah, pull the plug and try somebody else.

Axelrod is a "be careful what you wish for" guy, but the Sox desperately need a long reliever in the pen. Whether that's Axelrod, Surkamp, Purcey, Leesman, or Putnam...they need somebody to take one for the team, or occasionally keep the team in a game long enough to win it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
I think the Sox have to commit to Paulino for about 8 starts. If it's mostly garbage, then yeah, pull the plug and try somebody else.

Axelrod is a "be careful what you wish for" guy, but the Sox desperately need a long reliever in the pen. Whether that's Axelrod, Surkamp, Purcey, Leesman, or Putnam...they need somebody to take one for the team, or occasionally keep the team in a game long enough to win it.

It's not even long enough to win. It's long enough to keep the rest of the bullpen fresh for when you need them to get outs.

I'm no fan of Paulino, but you are right, Axe is be careful what you wish for. He was nothing but BP last year after a pretty decent start. If my choice is Axe or Paulino, I pick Paulino each time, although I do think there was a bit too much excitement about a guy who was really good for 7 starts 2 years ago and has since undergone elbow surgery and a procedure with the shoulder, although that appears to have been a cyst or something.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)

If we get to June 1, and Paulino is still pitching like this, you waive the guy and call up whoever is pitching best in the minors, and seems ready to go. The next guy will distinguish himself.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
It's not even long enough to win. It's long enough to keep the rest of the bullpen fresh for when you need them to get outs.

I'm no fan of Paulino, but you are right, Axe is be careful what you wish for. He was nothing but BP last year after a pretty decent start. If my choice is Axe or Paulino, I pick Paulino each time, although I do think there was a bit too much excitement about a guy who was really good for 7 starts 2 years ago and has since undergone elbow surgery and a procedure with the shoulder, although that appears to have been a cyst or something.

Well yeah, that's the obvious first reason why they need a long reliever. Those guys are good for the games you know you'll probably lose, but the rest of the guys they're counting on, are there the next day when you have a better chance to win. But on occasion, those guys come in in the 4th inning and go 4-5 innings while the offense chips away, and you come away with a W.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
What is the point of mocking this deal?

It is literally no risk to the White Sox. They aren't even giving up a 40 man roster spot. If he sucks, you cut him, no harm. On the small chance that he succeeds at all, you have another Estaban Loiaza.

Heck if they could bring in all of those guys on similar deals, I'd be for it. If even one gets back to near form, that is a huge freaking steal for literally nothing.

I don't really care what they do, as long as 1) they don't force a legitimate prospect like Beck up too early, and 2) provide major league development time to someone like Axelrod.

Heck, I'd almost rather have Daniel Webb start games, but that's not a real option.

As noted in the thread, we don't really have a long man right now, and I know the White Sox are just trying to help him ease into a set-up role, but I hope he doesn't become the forgotten/banished guy like Hector Santiago.

Someone like a DJ Carraso would really help this team right now. It's an argument that goes both ways. The likes of Webb and Cleto can mature better at the major league level with Cooper around to work with them...but it's putting him (Webb) into a bit of an odd role that he's not really accustomed to.

Edited by caulfield12

Take it for what it's worth, but Hawk and Stone were talking a lot last night about how differently pitches react in Denver compared to other parks. Even though Paulino's first start wasn't spectacular, it was much better than last night's. And what he was missing was the straight change he was able to throw in his first outing.

A couple more starts will tell the tale on this guy. If he can come out and pitch like he did in his first start (and maybe a bit better), he's fine for what he's needed for. Remember, just because he's the "#2 starter" doesn't mean he's actually the #2 starter for the Sox.

I don't know much about Hanson, but this is a no-risk, potential decent reward deal. Who knows?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)

This is what kills me. Reminds me of 03, except team is worse, where our 5th starter could not get passed the 5th inning. Luckily we had Sean lowe to gobble up those starts, but now we are burning through each reliever on these days.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
I don't really care what they do, as long as 1) they don't force a legitimate prospect like Beck up too early, and 2) provide major league development time to someone like Axelrod.

Heck, I'd almost rather have Daniel Webb start games, but that's not a real option.

As noted in the thread, we don't really have a long man right now, and I know the White Sox are just trying to help him ease into a set-up role, but I hope he doesn't become the forgotten/banished guy like Hector Santiago.

Signing guys like this stops the team from rushing players. It also gives a team that needs more talent, another pipeline to get talent. The odds of someone like Tommy Hanson being good again are small. But are the odds smaller than say an A ball pitcher that they get in a trade? Are they smaller than a draft pick? It is just another route to bringing talent into the system, and it is a route we as a franchise have been pretty successful at.

Again, I don't get mocking the idea of signing a guy like Tommy Hanson.