Keppinger DFA'd

Chisoxfn

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 14, 2014 -> 08:50 PM)
So, now he will sign with Oakland/Boston/St. Louis, hit .330 and end up the World Series MVP?

Probably the Twins, where he will play like Lew Ford or Denny Hocking against us.

He can take the place of Andy Gonzalez, if Andy's still on the major league roster.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:50 AM)
So, now he will sign with Oakland/Boston/St. Louis, hit .330 and end up the World Series MVP?

Great post.

Like somebody else said, get ready for 4-for-4 with 5 RBIs first time he faces the Sox.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 15, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
Keith Law's take.

Sean (Chicago)

What did you think of Rick Hahn's decision to "eat" two years of Keppinger's salary versus bringing him back? Rarely do we see a GM admit their mistake and then cut the player.

Klaw (1:07 PM)

One of many reasons I'm impressed with Hahn's tenure so far. That and the screaming bargain he may have gotten on Abreu, too.

Law is already in reverse. He previously said the Sox signing of Abreu made no sense. So with the Sox best players, Abreu and Sale, that genius is 0 for 2.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
Kind of like how Hahn signed Keppinger for three years and then backed out before he stepped on the field for his second year? Hahn is a leader because he owns his mistake and pulls the cord on it but Law is a dumbass because he recanted his initial Abreu opinion... This industry isn't an easy one that's east to project. It's not as if Chris Sale went #1, he went #13 and twelve other teams passed on him.

It's easy to tell why Law isn't employed in MLB anymore and has been relegated to the chattering classes. Can't imagine his hubris playing well in the front office. I love what Hahn has done so far and this move just cements that feeling.

Also, good job by KW realizing it was best for him to move upstairs and hand it off to Hahn.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 15, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
Kind of like how Hahn signed Keppinger for three years and then backed out before he stepped on the field for his second year? Hahn is a leader because he owns his mistake and pulls the cord on it but Law is a dumbass because he recanted his initial Abreu opinion... This industry isn't an easy one that's east to project. It's not as if Chris Sale went #1, he went #13 and twelve other teams passed on him.

Praise Law all you want. Just keep in mind, if the White Sox did what he thinks they should have done, they would not have their 2 best players. It's one thing to make a mistake on Jeff Keppinger, quite another to make one on Chris Sale (who even after he had success in the major leagues, Law refused to admit mistake) and Jose Abreu.

Keith Law is not the baseball guru he's cracked himself up to be. He should concentrate on his cooking.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 15, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)

Well Dick Allen was talking about our superstars with obvious talent, not Keppinger. Hahn signed both of those guys and is 2 for 2 on that (counting an extension may be cheating but Hahn was in the FO obviously at the time). Law not so much.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
Praise Law all you want. Just keep in mind, if the White Sox did what he thinks they should have done, they would not have their 2 best players. It's one thing to make a mistake on Jeff Keppinger, quite another to make one on Chris Sale (who even after he had success in the major leagues, Law refused to admit mistake) and Jose Abreu.

Keith Law is not the baseball guru he's cracked himself up to be. He should concentrate on his cooking.

The reason Keith Law is important is that he's a reporter that actually has connections. I'm less interested in his opinions as I am in his inside information.

That's why I love his mocks so much -- he saves his favorites for his top draft prospects list, but when it comes to mocks, it's all about what he's hearing from his sources as to what teams will do.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 15, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
Exactly. Everyone should read his chat from today. All he did was talk about what he's hearing. It wasn't the "White Sox have been known to draft athletic college arms so they'll take Nola here" bulls*** we get from other mocks.

He said things like "I'm hearing the White Sox love Kolek." "I know that Rodon won't fall past four." "I'm hearing Philadelphia is looking to go college/more ready prospects if Gordon doesn't fall to them." "I hear Houston is seeing if they can shave 1 or 2 million off their first pick with a certain guy so they can put that money towards their second rounder." "Every year it's hard to get info from Seattle and their pick."

This stuff really is interesting, and makes one wonder just how much posturing/smoke-blowing is going on. The bolded being contrary to recent earlier rumor is fascinating.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
Exactly. Everyone should read his chat from today. All he did was talk about what he's hearing. It wasn't the "White Sox have been known to draft athletic college arms so they'll take Nola here" bulls*** we get from other mocks.

He said things like "I'm hearing the White Sox love Kolek." "I know that Rodon won't fall past four." "I'm hearing Philadelphia is looking to go college/more ready prospects if Gordon doesn't fall to them." "I hear Houston is seeing if they can shave 1 or 2 million off their first pick with a certain guy so they can put that money towards their second rounder." "Every year it's hard to get info from Seattle and their pick."

Right, and these leaks are going to make sure they tell him things with 100% accuracy because it benefits everyone that each team knows exactly what the other is thinking. C'mon man.

His information is for entertainment purposes only. He is the Chris Broussard of baseball.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 15, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
The reason Keith Law is important is that he's a reporter that actually has connections. I'm less interested in his opinions as I am in his inside information.

That's why I love his mocks so much -- he saves his favorites for his top draft prospects list, but when it comes to mocks, it's all about what he's hearing from his sources as to what teams will do.

Using his connections, he got the #1 pick wrong in the 2012 draft on his final mock. He also got it wrong in 2013.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 15, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
This isn't the NBA/NFL. If the Cubs hear the Sox like Kolek what does that matter? If the Jays (#9) hear the Twins like Gordon (#5) what difference does it make? It's not like if the NFL where if #12 hears the Bears are picking Joe Smith at #8 then they could trade up and pick him. If the Sox for some strange reason came out with press release the day before the draft saying they were drafting Kolek do you think the Marlins would draft him to spite the Sox? No, they would still take whoever they deem to be the best player or financial option available.

Without trades, please show me how it matters.

It matters because if someone is torn who to take, thinking another team really likes or dislikes one of the players they are considering theoretically could influence one of their decision makers. If this stuff is so accurate, how come his final mocks are not? Even at the top where they should be pretty close to 100%. Why are his mock drafts no more accurate than anyone else's.

And what difference does it make when he says the Sox really like Kolek and he's on the board and they don't take him? You will forget he ever said it and be intrigued by his BS next season.

It's just like NBA deadline day. Laws inside info is like NBA rumors, fun to read, but really no substance. Everyone knows the top 3 guys in the draft are Rodon, Aiken and Kolek, so if Kolek is left and the Sox take him, hey Law said they loved him, this proves it. It's nothing more than that.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 15, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)

All reporters have connections. Law isn't any different than any of these draft experts in that he has no skin in the game.

Yesterday Bernsy (with info from whatever source he has, I presume) flat out said that Kep was hated in that clubhouse, and even went as far as to say that his personality, coupled with performance and the logjam at that position all contributed to JR's willingness to eat the remainder of his salary.

FWIW.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
All reporters have connections. Law isn't any different than any of these draft experts in that he has no skin in the game.

Well find me some that do mocks based on those connections, and I'll like them just as much. Kiley McDaniel is the only other one I can think of.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (KevHead0881 @ May 15, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)
Yesterday Bernsy (with info from whatever source he has, I presume) flat out said that Kep was hated in that clubhouse, and even went as far as to say that his personality, coupled with performance and the logjam at that position all contributed to JR's willingness to eat the remainder of his salary.

FWIW.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. It's not like we're overloaded with major league talent on the roster - we could have given him one last run at being a bench player.

QUOTE (KevHead0881 @ May 15, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)

FWIW.

Bernstein's "sources" haven't been the best recently, but Keppinger doesn't seem like the type of guy to have a personality that strikes teammates the wrong way. Obviously I don't know him, but just my observation.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 15, 2014 -> 08:22 PM)
Bernstein's "sources" haven't been the best recently, but Keppinger doesn't seem like the type of guy to have a personality that strikes teammates the wrong way. Obviously I don't know him, but just my observation.

Keppinger makes an easy target. No one really cares about the guy enough to verify the story.