Any Hope?

TheFutureIsNear

So has the year been pretty much worst case scenario for our minor leaguers or is it just me?

I'd like to preface this by saying, yes, I know it's early and I know the world isn't over in May....

- Sanchez has 0 pop

- Davidson can't even make contact

- Mitchell is a lost cause

- Things are looking grim for Thompson, this was supposed to be the year

- Beck can't get anybody to swing and miss

- Anderson can't hit

- Barnum is beginning to look like a lost cause

- While better, Hawkins isn't exactly looking great

- May looks terrible

So besides Johnson and Danish are there any silver linings I'm not aware of to give us hope? I know our system isn't very good and I wasn't expecting big things, but things really don't look good until we infuse more talent into the minor leagues. Hahn did a good job of getting young talent for the big league club this year, but he needs to get more talent in the minor leagues as soon as possible. There really isn't much besides a utility INF, maybe a 5th starter, and hopefully Davidson coming in the next 2 or 3 years. That's not good....

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ May 15, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
So has the year been pretty much worst case scenario for our minor leaguers or is it just me?

I'd like to preface this by saying, yes, I know it's early and I know the world isn't over in May....

- Sanchez has 0 pop

- Anderson can't hit

- May looks terrible

So besides Johnson and Danish are there any silver linings I'm not aware of to give us hope? I know our system isn't very good and I wasn't expecting big things, but things really don't look good until we infuse more talent into the minor leagues. Hahn did a good job of getting young talent for the big league club this year, but he needs to get more talent in the minor leagues as soon as possible. There really isn't much besides a utility INF, maybe a 5th starter, and hopefully Davidson coming in the next 2 or 3 years. That's not good....

Did anyone expect Sanchez to have any pop? That was not and will not ever be his game. He doesn't need to hit home runs to be good for this team.

I truly think Davidson thinks he should be in the bigs and it has been messing with his head. I am sure it will get better..

Nobody expected anything from Mitchell this year at all.. Read the post made on futuresox about Beck, a lot of people think he is working on things that is why he doesn't strike a lot out..

Anderson is still figuring things out, he hasn't been horrible, same with Barnum and Hawkins.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 15, 2014 -> 08:14 PM)
Did anyone expect Sanchez to have any pop? That was not and will not ever be his game. He doesn't need to hit home runs to be good for this team.

I truly think Davidson thinks he should be in the bigs and it has been messing with his head. I am sure it will get better..

Nobody expected anything from Mitchell this year at all.. Read the post made on futuresox about Beck, a lot of people think he is working on things that is why he doesn't strike a lot out..

Anderson is still figuring things out, he hasn't been horrible, same with Barnum and Hawkins.

Barnum and May have been pretty bad....but Anderson hasn't (he's made a lot of errors, but that always happens in A ball) and now it's harder to give a true evaluation of him coming off an injury.

We're not going to give up on Davidson after 1 1/2 months, that's crazy. A big part of it probably is psychological with him...whether he had a right to assume he would be on the big league roster based on last year's success (Futures Game, 20 homers combining minors and DBacks) is another question altogether.

Hitting with the #3 draft pick will go a long ways.

Even though it's obvious, bringing in a possible AL MVP, Eaton and Avisail Garcia in one offseason is huge. Not to mention that Viciedo and Flowers are still "youngish" and might play an important role in the team's future, not to mention Gillaspie.

Maybe some of the disappointment also is due to Semien's K ratio, but he was really pushed past AAA and needed more seasoning. At this point, whether his future rests at utility, 2B, SS...is far from determined.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ May 16, 2014 -> 02:06 AM)

Yes, it's been real bad so far, but it could easily be worst. Hawkins could be hitting like last year. Danish could be struggling, and Micah Johnson could be playing poorly. With that said, this seems like a bottom 5-7 farm system right now.

- Sanchez has 0 pop

- Anderson can't hit

- May looks terrible

power has never been Sanchez's game and further more he is only 21 years old and he switch hits; so you can expect what natural power he does have, will take even longer to develop because of this.

I think as other posters have alluded too, Davidson's problems come from the fact he had a huge let down not making the cut, now thats on him to get over that and persevere.

Mitchell has been a lost cause for quite some time

Thompson can still turn it around but I agree, it needs to happen soon he is still below the average age at AA but this is his third time through the southern league. I'm hoping he puts it together and makes a run to AAA to finish the year.

I agree with you about Beck

You've got to give Anderson, May, Barnum and Hawkins time, there are going to be some peaks and valleys with them as they continue their development.

You also left out some bright spots: Rangel Ravelo looking like he might develop into a very solid 1B prospect and Trey Michalczewski looking like a great young switch hitting 3B prospect. Lastly Cleuluis Rondon possibly developing a average hit tool to go with his sterling defense and Saladino having a reemergence as a potential future utility man at AAA.

All is not lost, but then I'm an optimist, glass-half-full kind of guy:

Anderson still young for level, and he's raw, so patience will be required, but ceiling is high.

I think May could have pushed himself too hard playing year-round. He might be showing signs of pulling out of it, a bit.

We're missing Lopez, Bassitt and Brennan still on the pitching side, the first two of which are Top 20's for us.

Montas shows a fairly high ceiling if he can refine a secondary or two, and he's plenty young to do it.

Micker will be someone to follow before too long - hopefully this summer.

A number of the "failed starter" types will still profile as effective relievers. And I could envision Olacio making it to the bigs as a reliever, but still with the possibility of converting back to SP if Coop can make him "repeatable". Very young.

Ravelo could be decent trade bait to the right org.

TreyM is very intriguing, with a high ceiling. Seems to be sticking at 3B so far, which is a big hurdle for him, if he can hang there. Super young.

Rondon, Engel, Kevan Smith and a few others aren't all that far from deserving consideration.

Admittedly, I share little optimism for Trayce or Barnum. (Trayce could be 4th or 5th OF, don't see KB in MLB)

Need to hit on both of the first two picks, imo, to really boost the overall profile.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

The one question I have is about Davidson. It seems several are convinced his problem was the letdown of not making the team.

If that is even slightly true, how can his fast start then be explained?

The fact that he is striking out almost every other AB on average at this point in AAA is beyond alarming. In fact, scary. If this were a one or two week thing, that would be one thing, but it is out of control right now.

And if he is feeling sorry for himself (which I don't buy) and this is happening, the Sox made the correct move sending him down. MLB pitchers would have him feeling even more sorry for himself.

Edited by Dick Allen

- Sanchez has 0 pop

- Anderson can't hit

- May looks terrible

-Sanchez was never supposed to have pop

-Davidson has struggled

-Mitchell isn't a prospect

-Thompson has hit a wall lately but he's still young and talented

-Beck has been working on the fastball

-Anderson's been hurt and has shown plus power when healthy

-I never had much in the way of expectations for Barnum

-Hawkins has been great. He's 20 years old, with a .260/.340/.537/.877, a 10.6% BB%, and a 25.5% K%. Anybody disappointed in Hawkins' year has their expectations set too high.

-May is a 3rd round pick who has struggled initially

Frankly, I think you're overreacting by quite a bit. Most of these guys are either non-prospects or guys in their first full season. There's concern from me for Thompson and Davidson out of this ground, but none of the others at this point.

It hasn't been great thus far, but it's far from the worst case scenario.

Semien and Johnson look like good prospects.

That's 2 infield spots.

Eaton looks like a player in CF

Abreu at 1B mitigates the need for a 1B prospect (always room for a DH though)

We have a couple acceptable young players in Gillaspie and Viciedo (3B and LF).

Garcia is hurt but hopefully a long term solution in RF.

That really leaves C and possibly SS (if you don't think Semien is passable) as positions that don't have long term solutions on hand. We have a bit of time at SS anyway and a worst case might be a defensive wizard in Rondon that can't hit but will save runs with his glove.

So, yes, we have a dreadfully terrible system for hitters but I don't think it'll cost us for a while given what we do have in place. If DV and AG become good hitters, we're one big bat away from having a lineup that can compete for a while.

Hitting a home run with a pitcher @#3 changes the dynamics of the rotation greatly as well. Sale-#3-Quintana-Danks-Johnson is promising if #3 is a plus #2 starter.

So I guess my opinion is that the system does suck, but we've got time to fix it and still compete.

There are a lot of players that are currently flying under the radar that should draw some optimism, Nick Basto is having a very solid year at the plate although from all reports his glove is severely behind. Someone else mentioned Trey Michalczewski at Kannapolis as someone to keep an eye on, I'd also like to mention the guy that has been hitting behind him as well someone else to keep an eye on going forward, Carl Thomore. He's had a challenging start to career, after being drafted in the second round by the Rockies he severely injured his leg during a slide at third (some people at the scene thought amputation was a strong possibility). This pretty much derailed his career for the next year, we signed him after he was cut loose by the Rockies as a reclamation project. His numbers aren't impressive but there is a lot of untapped potential if he can remain healthy and develop.

Beyond those two you also have Adam Engel and Cleuluis Rondon in the lineup that have a lot of upside, in fact I'd say that Kannapolis has the most exciting mix of prospects within our organization.

QUOTE (SoxnGiants @ May 16, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
Hitting a home run with a pitcher @#3 changes the dynamics of the rotation greatly as well. Sale-#3-Quintana-Danks-Johnson is promising if #3 is a plus #2 starter.

Quick fixing the rotation, I'd like to see Shields, Rodon, and Gausman added for 2015.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ May 16, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
There are a lot of players that are currently flying under the radar that should draw some optimism, Nick Basto is having a very solid year at the plate although from all reports his glove is severely behind. Someone else mentioned Trey Michalczewski at Kannapolis as someone to keep an eye on, I'd also like to mention the guy that has been hitting behind him as well someone else to keep an eye on going forward, Carl Thomore. He's had a challenging start to career, after being drafted in the second round by the Rockies he severely injured his leg during a slide at third (some people at the scene thought amputation was a strong possibility). This pretty much derailed his career for the next year, we signed him after he was cut loose by the Rockies as a reclamation project. His numbers aren't impressive but there is a lot of untapped potential if he can remain healthy and develop.

Beyond those two you also have Adam Engel and Cleuluis Rondon in the lineup that have a lot of upside, in fact I'd say that Kannapolis has the most exciting mix of prospects within our organization.

I just wish Sox would move Sammy Ayala up to Kanny. Not that current catchers there are not playing well, but he has spent two years at Bristol. Why can't we sit Williams for 2 weeks or so and let someone else DH (a catcher perhaps) so Ayala can get some playing time?

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 17, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
I just wish Sox would move Sammy Ayala up to Kanny. Not that current catchers there are not playing well, but he has spent two years at Bristol. Why can't we sit Williams for 2 weeks or so and let someone else DH (a catcher perhaps) so Ayala can get some playing time?

Where is Ayala now? When I interviewed him last year he credited the team for working with him on a whole lot of things, technique, handling pitchers, strength training, and hitting, during extended ST.