Which Sox are going to be traded this summer?

harfman77

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 19, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
I think you severely overrate Gordon Beckham. Last year, Beckham compared favorably to Eric Sogard and DJ LeMahieu.

If I severely over rate Beckham I do so in the company of a number of baseball analysts who seem to think highly of him.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 19, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
This is a message board and it's a valid point of discussion. Odds are, the Sox will be out of the race by the time the deadline rolls around and they'll be looking to sell a few pieces that won't be on the team next year. Considering some people are already considering roster decisions based on the 2016 roster, it's never too early to start talking about potential trades. It doesn't mean people still aren't appreciating what they have going on or don't want to watch games for this season, but that it's not likely to happen this year.

That said...

this is wrong too because the Sox are only 2.5 out of the Wild Card even with the injuries they've suffered thus far. Given a break or two, this team could easily compete for a Wild Card spot all year. You don't just sell to sell and you don't just assume that this team has absolutely no shot.

They were closer to the wild card last year at this point of the season. They are probably going to lose 90 games (hopefully no more than that) which is a step up from last year but that won't be wild card material.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 20, 2014 -> 12:41 AM)
I think Quintana being moved might be a possibility given the long-term pitching issues we have.

I know we've talked about this, but I think you have to keep him. You can't have Sale and then 4 unknowns heading into next season. Unfortunately, almost all of the trade chips were used last year for non-pitching returns. I just can't picture anyone besides Alexei having significant trade value right now.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
I think Quintana being moved might be a possibility given the long-term pitching issues we have.

I agree. In fact, we might even try moving Quintana to pitcher too. His arm is just too good to be wasted anywhere else.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
I know we've talked about this, but I think you have to keep him. You can't have Sale and then 4 unknowns heading into next season. Unfortunately, almost all of the trade chips were used last year for non-pitching returns.

If they want to compete with this core of position players and are saddled with Danks for three years at #5 and Sale who might be best utilized for 30 starts a year, they are going to need a very strong #2, #3, #4. If Q can be turned into a potential top-of-the-rotation starter I think they should consider it.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
I just can't picture anyone besides Alexei having significant trade value right now.

Which is why I hope Hahn is dangling him this season for a significant overpay. Sell high please.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 20, 2014 -> 01:05 AM)
If they want to compete with this core of position players and are saddled with Danks for three years at #5 and Sale who might be best utilized for 30 starts a year, they are going to need a very strong #2, #3, #4. If Q can be turned into a potential top-of-the-rotation starter I think they should consider it.

I have more faith in Quintana being a #2 or 3 than Gausman going forward though. Unfortunately, Johnson and Davidson being awful so far makes the rebuilding seem more difficult than it did 2 months ago.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)

Actually they may be short term pitching issues. They could get a stud in the draft and Johnson could well be back in the rotation this year. Q will not be moved.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 20, 2014 -> 01:06 AM)
Which is why I hope Hahn is dangling him this season for a significant overpay. Sell high please.

Looking at the standings, none of the teams toward the top need a SS right now. The NL Central trio of StL, Pit and Cin were the three we always discussed, but the Cards have Peralta now and the two other teams are out of contention.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:09 PM)
Looking at the standings, none of the teams toward the top need a SS right now. The NL Central trio of StL, Pit and Cin were the three we always discussed, but the Cards have Peralta now and the two other teams are out of contention.

I'm not counting out either of Pittsburgh/Cincini this early.

Maybe I am being too sensitive here, but isn't there a concern within the organization of trading away Alexei at this point given the fact that he's a fellow Cuban to our star player now? Not sure if that would affect things at all and if that should even be a concern. Obviously from a business perspective it makes sense to deal Alexei if we can fill a few holes going forward. And yes, I agree there is no way we see Semien as a SS now. The problem is I am not sure if we even have someone remotely ready to take over. I wouldn't be stoked if our starting SS next year was Leury Garcia. That's not progress IMO.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2014 -> 07:07 PM)
I have more faith in Quintana being a #2 or 3 than Gausman going forward though. Unfortunately, Johnson and Davidson being awful so far makes the rebuilding seem more difficult than it did 2 months ago.

Don't forget Semien, too.

Those are three key pieces going backwards, along with Avisail's injury.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:09 PM)
Maybe I am being too sensitive here, but isn't there a concern within the organization of trading away Alexei at this point given the fact that he's a fellow Cuban to our star player now? Not sure if that would affect things at all and if that should even be a concern. Obviously from a business perspective it makes sense to deal Alexei if we can fill a few holes going forward. And yes, I agree there is no way we see Semien as a SS now. The problem is I am not sure if we even have someone remotely ready to take over. I wouldn't be stoked if our starting SS next year was Leury Garcia. That's not progress IMO.

From everything you read out there, Carlos Sanchez is the only one who can handle the position at above-average major league ability.

But then you're looking at a low 600's OPS out of him, so that's a huge offensive drop-off from what Ramirez has been producing this season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 19, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)

Yes, there's a very solid chance it is a concern and the organization will likely take it into account with regards to whether or not they choose to move him. It may cause them to not move him in the face of an otherwise solid offer, and frankly, "making sure Viciedo and Abreu are happy" may well be a more important goal than making that trade. But, that's one that only the people who are in that clubhouse have a good idea about.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 19, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
They were closer to the wild card last year at this point of the season. They are probably going to lose 90 games (hopefully no more than that) which is a step up from last year but that won't be wild card material.

And after 46 games in 2008, they were 25-21. That's a difference of a whole 3 games. That year they won 89 games and the AL Central.

Saying the White Sox are going to lose 90 games because they were at a similar point last year is a very poor, flawed argument. The Astros were 15 games below .500 at one point in 2005 and made it to the World Series. If you want to say they'll lose 90 games because of talent or the rash of injuries, I can understand that, but I will also disagree strongly with it. I don't think they'll compete, but I think it will be close enough that it's going to be difficult dealing a lot of players. I don't believe that means they won't deal anyone.

Ya, I think some people just assume this team is going to lose 90 games because they had low expectations coming into this season. If you look at the season so far for what it is, we've managed to stay around .500 with a ton of key players hitting the dl at some point, including our two superstars. If we can get some of these guys back, I still think we stick around the wild card race all season. If everyone continues to break then not so much.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
Yes, there's a very solid chance it is a concern and the organization will likely take it into account with regards to whether or not they choose to move him. It may cause them to not move him in the face of an otherwise solid offer, and frankly, "making sure Viciedo and Abreu are happy" may well be a more important goal than making that trade. But, that's one that only the people who are in that clubhouse have a good idea about.

What I see as an opposing view point, and not to harp on other posters opinions or otherwise degrade them, is are we in a complete rebuilding or a retooling? I think you start with a great core in any event. 2B-SS-CF and C have historically been the cornerstone. We have Eaton in CF, Beckham at 2B, Ramirez at SS and Flowers at C. The weakest spot being C IMO. I think you have to compete with that group when building the tem and if you start trading everyone for the "unknown" minor leaguers you are always in a rebuild phase, if that makes sense. We have added Abreu at 1B and I am still thinking Davidson is penciled in at 3B for the future even though Gillaspie has been a pleasant surprise. We have Viciedo and the injured Garcia in the OF. All in all that is a pretty good group. Competitive for certain. The weakness has now become the pitching staff. Do we have extra young position players to trade or can we add through free agent signings? There is no way at this time that I see Semien taking over at any IF position. He has promise but might best be suited for the super sub role. The farm system might still be 2-3 years from providing starting position players and maybe a year sooner for pitchers (Johnson back up and maybe Beck coming soon). Finding that reliable closer might help too obviously

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 20, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
And after 46 games in 2008, they were 25-21. That's a difference of a whole 3 games. That year they won 89 games and the AL Central.

Saying the White Sox are going to lose 90 games because they were at a similar point last year is a very poor, flawed argument. The Astros were 15 games below .500 at one point in 2005 and made it to the World Series. If you want to say they'll lose 90 games because of talent or the rash of injuries, I can understand that, but I will also disagree strongly with it. I don't think they'll compete, but I think it will be close enough that it's going to be difficult dealing a lot of players. I don't believe that means they won't deal anyone.

Especially considering they will be getting talent BACK from the DL. Realistically, they've overacheived with Sale/Eaton/etc. gone, but those wins are in the books.

It's not likely, but it ain't over yet.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 20, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
Alexei is playing the best baseball of his professional career. Re-sign him.

No need to resign him, they have him under contract through 2015, with a team option in 2016

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 20, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
Ya, I think some people just assume this team is going to lose 90 games because they had low expectations coming into this season. If you look at the season so far for what it is, we've managed to stay around .500 with a ton of key players hitting the dl at some point, including our two superstars. If we can get some of these guys back, I still think we stick around the wild card race all season. If everyone continues to break then not so much.

I said it in the pre-season, and still feel this way. This is a .500ish team. A little higher if healthy, a little lower if not. This isn't a 90 loss team unless a lot of stuff goes wrong.