2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
39th round pick Davison says he will not sign. Not a surprise, just noting it.

A few guys are tweeting out affiliate assignments now too. Some guys are already headed out, rookie teams start in LESS THAN A WEEK.

Well this draft is an abject failure

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
no clue. I just know they think the offer is good enough to get it done.

Does the organization think they have any chance at signing Montes de Oca after getting things done with Rodon? As long as they sign Rodon it was a successful draft but I'm curious as to whether they are going to make a push for Montes de Oca as well.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
Does the organization think they have any chance at signing Montes de Oca after getting things done with Rodon? As long as they sign Rodon it was a successful draft but I'm curious as to whether they are going to make a push for Montes de Oca as well.

They'll give him an offer, who knows if he will accept.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)

For my two cents, if they really want to call Rodon's bluff, they should make it known that they will be offering the draft slot surplus to De Oca if Rodon doesn't sign by a certain date. After that date, only the slot money is there for Rodon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
For my two cents, if they really want to call Rodon's bluff, they should make it known that they will be offering the draft slot surplus to De Oca if Rodon doesn't sign by a certain date. After that date, only the slot money is there for Rodon.

Why would you risk Rodon for de Oca? There is basically nothing to bluff here. The cards are on the table.

Am I missing something here? If de Oca is a great prospect willing to sign for $350k + college tuition, why didn't anyone take him at that slot or earlier?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 07:44 AM)

If it were me, I would just offer slot and say look at our recent history of developing pitchers. This is a good place for Carlos.

If they counter with more money, I would just offer whatever amount I have left above slot, and say, this offer is good for two days. Either accept it or it goes away. We're not playing games and waiting til an hour before the deadline.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
Why would you risk Rodon for de Oca? There is basically nothing to bluff here. The cards are on the table.

Am I missing something here? If de Oca is a great prospect willing to sign for $350k + college tuition, why didn't anyone take him at that slot or earlier?

You're the one who keeps saying he has no leverage. Force his hand and get this done. Short seasons are about to start up.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
If it were me, I would just offer slot and say look at our recent history of developing pitchers. This is a good place for Carlos.

If they counter with more money, I would just offer whatever amount I have left above slot, and say, this offer is good for two days. Either accept it or it goes away. We're not playing games and waiting til an hour before the deadline.

Exactly.

For those who are curious, here is the White Sox top 10 signings, broken down by bonuses and how much slot savings/overage each signing generated. At the bottom is a break down of what the Sox could offer to Rodon and De Oca if the overage was added to their max slot number. The Second column represents what each player could max out at if the Sox offered slot+ slot savings+ the number of dollars the Sox could go over their allotment without losing a draft pick ($475,484).

Untitled.png

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
You're the one who keeps saying he has no leverage. Force his hand and get this done. Short seasons are about to start up.

He has no leverage other than being stupid and not taking the offer. But why play hardball when you don't have to? What does it really matter if he starts pitching next week or a month from now? The "I'll show you" mentality doesn't make sense to me. Why start this relationship on a sour note.?You never know, you may want to sign this guy to an extension some day. If you were selling him a house or a car or something like that where you would never have to deal with him again, sure, play tough. But he is going to be part of your team. IMO, it is not worth the angst he may acquire and never forget to feel superior and think you won for a couple of days.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
Baseball America ‏@BaseballAmerica 3m

#WhiteSox have $6.58 million to sign Carlos Rodon without losing a future pick. Draft DB has all this info and more: http://ow.ly/y6hAe

Technically correct, but extremely doubtful they go over the 6.107 million # because they never have. I just want them to announce the deal with Rodon so we all know what is possible with Montes de Oca. Rodon is signing for sure, MDO is very much up in the air.

We are also doing a series of Draft Roundtable Discussions, hosted by Dan, and including Jeff and I. We're sounding off on various draft-related topics, like favorite picks, sleeper, first to majors, least favorite pick, etc.

First post is up - favorite pick whose name is not Rodon.

Other topics coming soon.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
Sox are now at 30 picks signed, 1 definitely won't, 9 open questions. Draft Tracker on FutureSox is up to date, including affiliate assignments for a bunch of the signees.

Shouldn't Rodon's name be in red, along with Davidson at # 39?