2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
So I see the Cavs now have Mike Miller, who had his best shooting season in years and was actually healthy in '14, all but locked up. And now word is the Cavs aren't trading Wiggins and are offering Waiters/Bennent/draft picks for Love. That doesn't sound like nearly enough but if Love says the only team he'll extend with is Cleveland, aren't the wolves pretty f***ed?

I don't think love would say that because I'm sure there are more teams he'd extend with.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
Well, they haven't given up on Melo yet. There's multiple offers on the table for Melo, including a 2 year and then back-to-back years of player opt-ins. You sign Pau if you're trading Taj.

Also, Gasol isn't really breaking down. D'Antoni refused to play him in the post and made one of the most gifted big men in the entire league shoot 18 foot jumpers instead of working his magic down low - and he still shot 48% with 17/10. He's an extraordinary get regardless of what else the Bulls do.

Gasol's still a good player and I'd like him on the Bulls but he's missed a lot of games each of the last 2 years and he's had issues with staying healthy throughout his career. The transition to being a jump shooter also began pre-D'Antoni. He shot a very similar percentage of shots inside of 10 feet as outside of 10 feet the year pre-D'Antoni that he did under D'Antoni.

I still wonder if you sign Gasol as a way to compensate for losing Taj in a S&T.

With that said, at some point if Melo won't talk to you you have to get some contingency plans in place even if they might hurt you in the running for him. This is at least a week longer than it normally takes to get an answer out of a free agent who is this good

Regardless, Gasol is an upgrade over Taj and Mirotic offensively. I think he would be a bargain if they sign him for less than $10 mil per. Boozer and Noah used to be injury prone, the Bulls training staff has kept them relatively healthy the past couple of years.

Signing Gasol means we will need to give up Taj in any S&T with Knicks. I wonder who we will bring in as a backup defensive big to fill Taj's shoes, because running both Gasol and Mirotic out there will be atrocious defensively.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Regardless, Gasol is an upgrade over Taj and Mirotic offensively. I think he would be a bargain if they sign him for less than $10 mil per. Boozer and Noah used to be injury prone, the Bulls training staff has kept them relatively healthy the past couple of years.

Signing Gasol means we will need to give up Taj in any S&T with Knicks. I wonder who we will bring in as a backup defensive big to fill Taj's shoes, because running both Gasol and Mirotic out there will be atrocious defensively.

I think Greg Smith and his 900k salary probably sticks around as a backup big with Pau/Niko/Noah. From reports I'm reading he's been solid defensively in the NBA after not really playing D in college.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
I don't think love would say that because I'm sure there are more teams he'd extend with.

Why not? He's been in the league 6 years and seen as many playoffs games as me. LeBron/Irving/Love/Wiggins is a potential dynasty. What team out there can offer that type of winning and that type of winning right away?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Why not? He's been in the league 6 years and seen as many playoffs games as me. LeBron/Irving/Love/Wiggins is a potential dynasty. What team out there can offer that type of winning and that type of winning right away?

Love has made it pretty clear he wants to play in a big market and that is where he will extend

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Gasol is a terrible signing on his own but yeah got to wait for the corresponding move of course. Money should be interesting. He apparently turned down 10 mil per with the Lakers if you believe CBS. I bet this dude is gonna so hated here.

Doubt that. He's still one of the more versatile/skilled big men in the game today. His incredible length should go a long way for him in a Thibs defensive system.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
Love has made it pretty clear he wants to play in a big market and that is where he will extend

Apparently Love already said he'd extend in Cleveland. You get to play with LeBron James and be his white Pippen to his Jordan. It's a no-brainer.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
Doubt that. He's still one of the more versatile/skilled big men in the game today. His incredible length should go a long way for him in a Thibs defensive system.

He'll be a useful player but let's face it, McDermott, Mirotic, a guy like Gasol, and reupping with Hinrich is pretty much what I was expecting the whole offseason. Maybe we'll get lucky and be able to add some extra SF depth somewhere and that's at least a 2nd round team until Gasol and Rose get hurt.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
Apparently Love already said he'd extend in Cleveland. You get to play with LeBron James and be his white Pippen to his Jordan. It's a no-brainer.

I know that has gone around, but you have to wonder why the move hasn't been made yet.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
I know that has gone around, but you have to wonder why the move hasn't been made yet.

T-Wolves: "We want Wiggins."

Cavs: "No."

They'll have that same conversation 500 times before they even begin negotiating.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)

He's still also a consolation prize, soft, 34, has declining skills and will likely be run into the ground by Thibs. I can see the fans turning on him very quickly.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
T-Wolves: "We want Wiggins."

Cavs: "No."

They'll have that same conversation 500 times before they even begin negotiating.

I'm not sure why the TWolves would give him to the Cavs for anything else on their roster other than Wiggins, which means that the only way it could happen is a 3-team complicated mess.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
He's still also a consolation prize, soft, 34, has declining skills and will likely be run into the ground by Thibs. I can see the fans turning on him very quickly.

Let's worry about all of this if/when something actually happens and pens actually start hitting paper. I'm still feeling good on Melo. He doesn't hem and haw for 10 days with a max offer on the table just to go back to the Knicks. Bulls just have to get creative here.

I think we've finally gotten to the point where the Knicks will listen to S&T options, so that's good, I guess.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)

Taj is a better overall player than Gasol. Sure Gasol has more a offensive game because he has a much better shot, but I see no reason why Taj won't score 17 points a game because of decent shooting combined with dunks and offensive rebounds.

And there is no doubt that Taj is an elite defender.

I just want to see Taj get a shot to start and play 30-plus minutes per game because I think he can be more a really good starter.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
Taj is a better overall player than Gasol. Sure Gasol has more a offensive game because he has a much better shot, but I see no reason why Taj won't score 17 points a game because of decent shooting combined with dunks and offensive rebounds.

And there is no doubt that Taj is an elite defender.

I just want to see Taj get a shot to start and play 30-plus minutes per game because I think he can be more a really good starter.

Gasol is also a MUCH better passer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
Let's worry about all of this if/when something actually happens and pens actually start hitting paper. I'm still feeling good on Melo. He doesn't hem and haw for 10 days with a max offer on the table just to go back to the Knicks. Bulls just have to get creative here.

I think we've finally gotten to the point where the Knicks will listen to S&T options, so that's good, I guess.

This morning it sounds to me the opposite, the press seems to think the Knickerbockers confidence is growing and the Bulls are starting to move on.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)

Obviously Cleveland is what he'd prefer, but he's not going to put all his eggs in the Cleveland basket.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
This morning it sounds to me the opposite, the press seems to think the Knickerbockers confidence is growing and the Bulls are starting to move on.

All we've heard is reports from beat reporters who have been shown to know nothing. Until I hear something from Melos camp, the bulls, or the Knicks none of that matters. All three have been eerily silent the past day.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)

Agreed with you. I was speaking hypothetically if this is the one move. I feel oddly good about melo

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)

Knicks writers are giving off that vibe, chicago writers say Melo still in play(save Cowley) and national writers have no idea. Aldridge just tweeted this

@daldridgetnt: Source says that Pau Gasol deal to the Bulls "should get done today." Don't know impact on CHI pursuit of Melo.