White Sox @ Twins

Jose Abreu

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
How many guys did he leave on base with RISP this series a TON, batting average does not mean end all beat all.

No it doesn't but when you did hit .352, it's rather tough to legitimately complain about him.

I get hit when players hit .280 and sport .300 OBPs.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
No it doesn't but when you did hit .352, it's rather tough to legitimately complain about him.

I get hit when players hit .280 and sport .300 OBPs.

Well, except for the whole power thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
Well, except for the whole power thing.

yea he's not a great hitter.

But his 6/17 with a triple exceeds:

Alexei 2/16 with a double

Dunn 2/14, 3 walks, no extra base hits.

And I'm sure most others as well.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
De Aza, in case you missed it, is hitting .367/.418/.571 in June.

This is exactly what I mean with De Aza. If you look at the numbers, you see one thing. If you watch him play, you see another. He cost the team a run in the field, and he is bunting with two outs in the ninth, in a situation that dictates looking for an extra base hit.

He is the hitters version of Javy Vazquez, except not nearly as good.

Since when did Alexei become a cold weather hitter and suck when it gets warm? Weird year for him. Well at least we got Sale tomorrow.

You watching these games? He's been hitting into some hard outs. Maybe not as great as he was in april but he hasn't been sucking.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
This is exactly what I mean with De Aza. If you look at the numbers, you see one thing. If you watch him play, you see another. He cost the team a run in the field, and he is bunting with two outs in the ninth, in a situation that dictates looking for an extra base hit.

Yes, yes and YES!! Absolutely wonderful example of why we should be thankful our front office doesn't simply use stats to evaluate a player. It's peasant food.

I wonder what the Sox FO puts the most emphasis on when evaluating a potential new guy:

1. Eye Test/Getting It Done

2. Character/Work Ethic

3. Stats

I think you have to have #1 to draw initial interest, leading then to #2. #3 just comes with #1 usually.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)
How so? He's worth a couple of wins a year and is 32.

They should be shopping him.

This stat about "being worth a couple wins a year" is an example of an advanced stat that bothers me. It makes it sound like the Sox as an organization would only be a loss or two worse w/out Lexi. Let's say the Sox replace him with some stiff who hits .220 and makes a large amount of errors and has not so great range. This is possible cause from what I understand we have no top player "ready" to replace him.

You can't tell me the team wouldn't suck much worse than it does now without Lexi. Let's say we put L. Garcia there instead of Lexi. The team becomes a total embarrassment, much worse than this crew which is still a last-place team.

Now I'm not saying don't trade Lexi. If the Sox can get a haul for him (not some possible or likely bust named Davidson) maybe they should trade him. But I HATE this stat about how many wins a guy is worth. A simple trade of Lexi for L. Garcia makes this team WAY WORSE than simple two-game margin would suggest.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)

I'd rather look at the numbers which show him producing several more runs than he's given up for the Sox than holding a grudge about the method by which he gives up those runs.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 10:25 PM)
I'd rather look at the numbers which show him producing several more runs than he's given up for the Sox than holding a grudge about the method by which he gives up those runs.

Except the "numbers" ignore those runs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
This stat about "being worth a couple wins a year" is an example of an advanced stat that bothers me. It makes it sound like the Sox as an organization would only be a loss or two worse w/out Lexi. Let's say the Sox replace him with some stiff who hits .220 and makes a large amount of errors and has not so great range. This is possible cause from what I understand we have no top player "ready" to replace him.

You can't tell me the team wouldn't suck much worse than it does now without Lexi. Let's say we put L. Garcia there instead of Lexi. The team becomes a total embarrassment, much worse than this crew which is still a last-place team.

Now I'm not saying don't trade Lexi. If the Sox can get a haul for him (not some possible or likely bust named Davidson) maybe they should trade him. But I HATE this stat about how many wins a guy is worth. A simple trade of Lexi for L. Garcia makes this team WAY WORSE than simple two-game margin would suggest.

Great post.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
This stat about "being worth a couple wins a year" is an example of an advanced stat that bothers me. It makes it sound like the Sox as an organization would only be a loss or two worse w/out Lexi. Let's say the Sox replace him with some stiff who hits .220 and makes a large amount of errors and has not so great range.

It's "Wins above REPLACEMENT". If there is some terrible player batting .220 making tons of errors, he is liking going produce negative WAR. So the difference would be from Alexei's positive WAR to the other guy's negative WAR.

Because you used Leury as an example, let's extrapolate Alexei's current season and Leury's. Obviously this isn't fair because of the sample sizes, especially for Leury. But I digress......

Alexei's project WAR this year based on a 650 PA-average is.....

about 3.6 WAR

Leury's projected WAR extrapolated on the same scale to 650 PA-average would be....

about -2 WAR

So if you really wanted to see the different between Alexei to Garcia over an entire year based on what you've seen this season, it's about a 5 1/2 to 6 win difference. That takes a 90 win team to an 84 win team, just based off 1 position. That's a very significant change.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 07:01 AM)
It's "Wins above REPLACEMENT". If there is some terrible player batting .220 making tons of errors, he is liking going produce negative WAR. So the difference would be from Alexei's positive WAR to the other guy's negative WAR.

Because you used Leury as an example, let's extrapolate Alexei's current season and Leury's. Obviously this isn't fair because of the sample sizes, especially for Leury. But I digress......

Alexei's project WAR this year based on a 650 PA-average is.....

about 3.6 WAR

Leury's projected WAR extrapolated on the same scale to 650 PA-average would be....

about -2 WAR

So if you really wanted to see the different between Alexei to Garcia over an entire year based on what you've seen this season, it's about a 5 1/2 to 6 win difference. That takes a 90 win team to an 84 win team, just based off 1 position. That's a very significant change.

I was thinking we'd be about 12 games worse with Leury as our ss over Lexi. My eyes tell me that.

Looks like it's about time to start pining for more complete suckatude - save for a few trade candidates and core youngsters. 2015 and 2016 is when it can get real interesting.

Edit:

TPSM version 2.0?

Edited by hi8is