2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

Fulmer all sorts of nasty tonight. Breaking ball has for sure a plus pitch, arguably plus-plus. 8 ip 5 H 3 BB 12K against Tennessee so far.

Swanson with a tough 0-4. His defense has been much better than I anticipated.

For those who want to watch buehler tomorrow - game is on SEC network

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
I sure as hell know that I would not want Aiken at #8. He's already gone through so many injury issues. It's not worth taking the risk with him IMO.

He hasn't gone through 'so many injury issues' this is his first injury relating to baseball, he just has a small UCL, it was never injured before this.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 09:33 PM)
He hasn't gone through 'so many injury issues' this is hours first injury relating to baseball, he just has a small UCL, it was never injured before this.

Yeah, one injury is not why you'd pass up on a talent like Aiken.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
Fulmer all sorts of nasty tonight. Breaking ball has for sure a plus pitch, arguably plus-plus. 8 ip 5 H 3 BB 12K against Tennessee so far.

Swanson with a tough 0-4. His defense has been much better than I anticipated.

For those who want to watch buehler tomorrow - game is on SEC network

Fulmer seems to walk 2 or 3 every outing.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 12:30 AM)
Fulmer seems to walk 2 or 3 every outing.

He does. In college he is able to get away with it because his stuff is so good. Although I hate the term, you could describe him as somewhat effectively wild. Gets plenty of swings and misses outside the strike zone which he might not get at the next level.

One thing with Fulmer in terms of his approach, he doesn't give in. you get the feeling he wants to strike every hitter out, and I think that ultimately leads to more bases on balls and fewer balls put into play

Edited by daa84

If Aiken would sign under slot, I would take the chance but if he wants slot value I hope the Sox would take another player at #8. I just cannot see spending slot value on a kid that will not pitch his first minor league game until spring of 2016.

someone mention earlier of not taking the better player, but taking a player closest to the majors.

well, for me, it is based on all things being equal. the slight difference in between the 2 pitchers. unless there is a huge dropoff between the pitcher before Aiken and the lets say pitcher B, i will take pitcher B. only b/c of 2 reasons.

1. there is no guarantee, that he will bounce back, i know, there is nothing in life that is guarantee.

2. those bodies, the prospects in the minors now, the system is not ready to take a gamble like that. it need a sure product to go up to the majors. in 2 yrs and most definitely in 3 yrs, this system will have a turnover of vets. the sox needs is to start planning to address that turnover.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
That's entirely short sighted. Not to sound like a broken record but you take the best player available. If that's Aiken then take him. Obviously you'd prefer him under slot but it's not as if you take someone with less of a chance to contribute in the MLB because of that. I don't think the Nationals are upset that they had to wait a while for Lucas Giolito.

Thank you.

You always take the best player on the board, no matter what. If Sox brass and scouts feel that Aiken ceiling is higher than what's left on the board at 8 then they have to take him. Lucas Giolito is a prime example, another is Jeff Hoffman. While I didn't want the Sox to draft him (I thought Aiken, Kolek and Jackson are all better), the Jays saw an opportunity at #9 and drafted him. Hoffman definitely possesed on of the higher ceilings in the entire draft class. Now the Jays have arguably the best collection of pitching prospects in all of bsseball and Hoffman looks to be a big part of their future.

Edited by Joshua Strong

i don't know, i still feel that there has to be something other than the BPS philosophy. i know i am flopping around like a fish out of water, or maybe it is b/c i am still a little drunk. i don't know. but it goes back to what the sox needs are and how they want to address them.

if Aiken and pitcher B is there. pitcher B may not have the ceiling of Aiken, player B is healthy, i will take player B. there is no guarantees the Aiken's will fully develop to the pitcher hes projected to be, and with the likely hood of player B make the roster in a shorter time is even more important in the near future.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
i don't know, i still feel that there has to be something other than the BPS philosophy. i know i am flopping around like a fish out of water, or maybe it is b/c i am still a little drunk. i don't know. but it goes back to what the sox needs are and how they want to address them.

if Aiken and pitcher B is there. pitcher B may not have the ceiling of Aiken, player B is healthy, i will take player B. there is no guarantees the Aiken's will fully develop to the pitcher hes projected to be, and with the likely hood of player B make the roster in a shorter time is even more important in the near future.

With the time that it takes players for to develop, you can't draft for need. And if you draft for need, you're team won't get better.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 07:08 PM)
With the time that it takes players for to develop, you can't draft for need. And if you draft for need, you're team won't get better.

you and many posters does have a valid point. but if the team minor system is stacked, then continue to take the BPA. but if the system needs a specific need, and in this case, continue to rebuild the parent team, gets pitchers, get as many arms as you can.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
That's entirely short sighted. Not to sound like a broken record but you take the best player available. If that's Aiken then take him. Obviously you'd prefer him under slot but it's not as if you take someone with less of a chance to contribute in the MLB because of that. I don't think the Nationals are upset that they had to wait a while for Lucas Giolito.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
Thank you.

You always take the best player on the board, no matter what. If Sox brass and scouts feel that Aiken ceiling is higher than what's left on the board at 8 then they have to take him. Lucas Giolito is a prime example, another is Jeff Hoffman. While I didn't want the Sox to draft him (I thought Aiken, Kolek and Jackson are all better), the Jays saw an opportunity at #9 and drafted him. Hoffman definitely possesed on of the higher ceilings in the entire draft class. Now the Jays have arguably the best collection of pitching prospects in all of bsseball and Hoffman looks to be a big part of their future.

I have a difficult time believing an 18 year old coming off his first TJ surgery is the best player available. He could have the highest ceiling available but is not the best player available. IMO, the best player available is a guy who has the high ceiling AND is healthy, ready to start their minor league career.

Just because other teams have drafted injured pitchers does not mean its the right or wrong thing to do. Its a double edged sword, I see the point in these kids can get drafted and get their minor league careers going after TJ surgery but the other side of it is that these kids are still in the minors and have yet to prove a thing as far as long term durability or that they will actually be the MLB pitchers they are or were once projected to be. Giolito and Hoffman are great prospects but until they become successful major league pitchers, there's no point in bringing their names up since nothing has been proven yet one way or another.

Hoffman is an even bigger risk than Aiken now that I think about it. Aiken being only 18 gives him time to recover, get 3-4 years of minor league experience and possibly be ready to make his mlb debute around 22/23 years old whereas Hoffman was already 21 when he went down for TJ. Now add a year of recovery plus how ever long it takes for his development. That said, I would still draft another player if Aiken will not take under slot money.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 10:53 PM)
Can't tell if that Mock Draft was put together prior to Aiken having TJS. My guess is yes. No way Rockies take him that early now at #3.

It's from March 20, so definitely before.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
I have a difficult time believing an 18 year old coming off his first TJ surgery is the best player available. He could have the highest ceiling available but is not the best player available. IMO, the best player available is a guy who has the high ceiling AND is healthy, ready to start their minor league career.

Just because other teams have drafted injured pitchers does not mean its the right or wrong thing to do. Its a double edged sword, I see the point in these kids can get drafted and get their minor league careers going after TJ surgery but the other side of it is that these kids are still in the minors and have yet to prove a thing as far as long term durability or that they will actually be the MLB pitchers they are or were once projected to be. Giolito and Hoffman are great prospects but until they become successful major league pitchers, there's no point in bringing their names up since nothing has been proven yet one way or another.

Hoffman is an even bigger risk than Aiken now that I think about it. Aiken being only 18 gives him time to recover, get 3-4 years of minor league experience and possibly be ready to make his mlb debute around 22/23 years old whereas Hoffman was already 21 when he went down for TJ. Now add a year of recovery plus how ever long it takes for his development. That said, I would still draft another player if Aiken will not take under slot money.

Tommy John isn't the death sentence that people made it out to be (My mother actually had it done in late February.), unfortunately it's a common procedure now and some pitchers get better after having it.

It sounds like you forgot that Aiken was the consensus top player in last year's draft, even when news broke out about him having a naturally smaller UCL, teams came out and said that they still would have taken him number one without hesitation. There was even a possibility that Aiken would have become a free agent and I'm sure that 29 GMs would be chomping at the bit to get him into their system.

I also disagree with what you said about the best player available being a guy with the highest ceiling and healthy. With what we know about TJ now in regards to pitching prospects that is a completely arcane way of looking at things. If you had to pick between Clayton Kershaw (Who's going to sit out a year to recover from TJ) or Sonny Gray to build your team around, you're picking Clayton Kershaw even with the TJ and 1 year recovery time.

And since we're talking about another prospect in Aiken, lets bring up guys like Giolito and Hoffman. In terms of accomplishments (They're all prospects after all), Giolito is universally thought of as the best pitching prospect in all of baseball. And just look at all the pitchers that have had TJ and came back stronger than before.

You also forgot that Jeff Hoffman was a highly successful college pitcher. College being the key word there, you know that college players are automatically more seasoned then their high school counterparts, right? Jeff Hoffman was already polished as a pitcher, so any time he spent in the minors would just be fine tuning and more seasoning. He is still exexpected to make his mlb debut next year as a 23 year old, even after missing a full year to TJ.

If you're the Sox and draft Aiken but you're unwilling to sign him just because he won't sign under slot then you’re insane. Keep in mind the sox do not have picks in the second and third round this year. Yes, you do get the #9 pick in next year's draft automatically but a draft without a first, second and third round picks would be a huge blow to the farm.

Thats my two cents.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 06:44 AM)
Tommy John isn't the death sentence that people made it out to be (My mother had actually had it done in late February.), unfortunately it's a common procedure now and some pitchers get better after having it.

It sounds like you forgot that Aiken was the consensus top player in last year's draft, even when news broke out about him having a naturally smaller UCL, teams came out and said that they still would have taken him number one without hesitation. There was even a possibility that Aiken would have become a free agent, I'm sure that 29 GMs would be comping at the bit too get him into their system.

I also disagree with what you said about the best player available being a guy with the highest ceiling and healthy. In regards to what we know about TJ now in regards to pitching prospects that is a completely arcane way of looking at things. If you had to pick between Clayton Kershaw (Who's going to sit out a year to recover from TJ) or Sonny Gray to build your team around, you're picking Clayton Kershaw even with the TJ and 1 year recovery time.

And since we're talking about another prospect in Aiken, lets bring up guys like Giolito and Hoffman. In terms of accomplishments, Giolito is universally thought of as the best pitching prospect in all of baseball. And just look at all the pitchers that have had TJ and came back stronger than before.

You also forgot that Jeff Hoffman was a highly successful college pitcher. College being the key word there, you know that college players are automatically more seasoned then their high school counterparts, right? Jeff Hoffman was already polished as a pitcher, any time he spent in the minors would just be fine tuning and more seasoning. He exexpected to mske his mlb debut next year as a 23 year old.

If you're the Sox and draft Aiken but you're unwilling to sign him just because he won't sign under slot then you’re insane. Keep in mind the sox do not have picks in the second and third round this year. Yes, you do get the #9 pick in next year's draft automatically but a draft without a first, second and third rouround picks would be a huge blow to the farm.

Thats my two cents.

players who are drafted, esp pitchers are not a sure thing to make it to the majors, with or without having a clean bill of health.

i am just going to reply on the underslot signing or posters expectations of that.

the idea of posters saying, just sign him for underslot money, and then mention well look at Hoffman last yr. that is the main point of my post. Hoffman did not sign for underslot money. he signed for money that was slotted for that pick. the amount he got, compared to where he was suppose to get, before the injury, is a huge difference. that difference makes it look to be underslot, signing.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/79082538/201...ngbonus-tracker

Freeland and Schwarber are better examples....Hoffman was exactly at slot.

Another injured pitcher, Fedde, actually was overslot still.

Giolito was just south of $3 million as 16th pick in his draft class.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Giolito

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/79082538/201...ngbonus-tracker

Freeland and Schwarber are better examples....Hoffman was exactly at slot.

Another injured pitcher, Fedde, actually was overslot still.

Giolito was just south of $3 million as 16th pick in his draft class.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Giolito

nice post, great find.

thanks

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 01:44 AM)
Tommy John isn't the death sentence that people made it out to be (My mother had actually had it done in late February.), unfortunately it's a common procedure now and some pitchers get better after having it.

It sounds like you forgot that Aiken was the consensus top player in last year's draft, even when news broke out about him having a naturally smaller UCL, teams came out and said that they still would have taken him number one without hesitation. There was even a possibility that Aiken would have become a free agent, I'm sure that 29 GMs would be comping at the bit too get him into their system.

I also disagree with what you said about the best player available being a guy with the highest ceiling and healthy. In regards to what we know about TJ now in regards to pitching prospects that is a completely arcane way of looking at things. If you had to pick between Clayton Kershaw (Who's going to sit out a year to recover from TJ) or Sonny Gray to build your team around, you're picking Clayton Kershaw even with the TJ and 1 year recovery time.

And since we're talking about another prospect in Aiken, lets bring up guys like Giolito and Hoffman. In terms of accomplishments, Giolito is universally thought of as the best pitching prospect in all of baseball. And just look at all the pitchers that have had TJ and came back stronger than before.

You also forgot that Jeff Hoffman was a highly successful college pitcher. College being the key word there, you know that college players are automatically more seasoned then their high school counterparts, right? Jeff Hoffman was already polished as a pitcher, any time he spent in the minors would just be fine tuning and more seasoning. He exexpected to mske his mlb debut next year as a 23 year old.

If you're the Sox and draft Aiken but you're unwilling to sign him just because he won't sign under slot then you’re insane. Keep in mind the sox do not have picks in the second and third round this year. Yes, you do get the #9 pick in next year's draft automatically but a draft without a first, second and third rouround picks would be a huge blow to the farm.

Thats my two cents.

This is right on, Josh. Good point.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
This is right on, Josh. Good point.

Thank you,. I must apologize for the typos though. I was a bit enraged and on a tablet, a combination not conducive to good typing.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
Thank you,. I must apologize for the typos though. I was a bit enraged and on a tablet, a combination not conducive to good typing.

compared to my lack of the kings, language, i never notice. :)

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
compared to my lack of the kings, language, i never notice. :)

I'm an English major in my free time, so I should know better. If you ever want to know about the tenants of the romantic movement of the early 19th century, I am your guy. I do want to work in a front office, however.

Some 2016 players to start keeping an eye on: Seth Beer, Blake Rutherford, Herbert Iser, Cavan Biggio, Zach Collins.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 12:02 PM)
I'm an English major in my free time, so I should know better. If you ever want to know about the tenants of the romantic movement of the early 19th century, I am your guy. I do want to work in a front office, however.

Some 2016 players to start keeping an eye on: Seth Beer, Blake Rutherford, Herbert Iser, Cavan Biggio, Zach Collins.

tenets?