295 dead aboard Malaysian Airlines shot down over Ukraine.

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 06:50 PM)
Check the history on that. Nothing really happens.

There should be total outrage and repercussions. Innocent people shot down. I'm getting concerned about my trip to South Korea next summer. My fear is with all this type of stuff happening that the kook in North Korea might want to make a statement and invade when South Korea is hosting the World University Games. I don't want to spend the rest of my life in some North Korean prison or get shot down on the flight to South Korea.

That's a different topic though. Today's news horrifies me at the death of civilians for no reason.

Malaysian jet -- not European, not a major power, so the international response will be tempered.

Are there Americans on every plane everywhere? How many Americans are abroad at any one time? No matter what happens, anywhere in the world, there are Americans there.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
Malaysian jet -- not European, not a major power, so the international response will be tempered.

Are there Americans on every plane everywhere? How many Americans are abroad at any one time? No matter what happens, anywhere in the world, there are Americans there.

But it was flying out of Amsterdam.

One would imagine the entire Dutch men's national soccer team would have to have been on that plane (going on a tour of SE Asia, for example) to move the bar to "outrage" unfortunately.

Btw, has a national carrier ever lost two airliners and 550+ passengers in such a short period of time? It's just weird, when you consider the odds of it happening twice to the same company.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)

It was a KLM codeshare flight, though. Based on that, and the large percentage of Dutch pax on board, it may as well have been a European airline.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 07:12 PM)
One would imagine the entire Dutch men's national soccer team would have to have been on that plane (going on a tour of SE Asia, for example) to move the bar to "outrage" unfortunately.

Btw, has a national carrier ever lost two airliners and 550+ passengers in such a short period of time? It's just weird, when you consider the odds of it happening twice to the same company.

Well American Airlines lost two planes on 9-11 and then another in November of that year. About 400 total.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
But it was flying out of Amsterdam.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 06:45 PM)
And the majority of passengers were Dutch

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 11:40 PM)
It was a KLM codeshare flight, though. Based on that, and the large percentage of Dutch pax on board, it may as well have been a European airline.

I didn't realize it was a KLM codeshare. I retract my earlier comment. Thank you for the corrections.

Link

MORE than 100 AIDS activists, researchers and health workers bound for a major conference in Melbourne were on the Malaysia Airlines flight downed in the Ukraine.

It is believed that delegates to the 20th International AIDS Conference, due to begin on Sunday, will be informed today that 108 of their colleagues and family members died on MH17.

Stunned researchers, activists and development workers arriving at Melbourne Airport paid tribute to AIDS researcher Joep Lange and the other attendees believed killed aboard MH17

Follow link to more about the scientists.

CNN reporting that the black boxes are still in Ukraine, after once reporting they were in Russia.

Interesting that Putin says that Ukraine is essentially at fault since it happened over their countryside - I guess that means that he is acknowledging the Donetsk region as part of Ukraine? Ha.

My money would still say that this was an error, separatists that either didn't know what they were firing at or some rogue element. I can't imagine any one of the sides being stupid enough to intentionally shoot the plane down.

80 bodies of children, including 3 infants....all will be sweltering in the blistering Ukrainian summer sun for a second day if the militants/separatists don't get out of the way and allow someone with a clue to take over the scene with a professional sense of decency and delicacy.