It's about that time of the year again...

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
When you state that a team who went out on two separate occasions to try and acquire a player does not like said player, you are wrong. If they didn't like him, KW never would have picked up the phone and given the Cardinals a call. Maybe they didn't like him enough to give up what they would have had to give up, but that's far different than stating that they did not like him.

I'm saying that we don't know that they tried and failed to acquire him. All we know is that there are rumors that they discussed him. Maybe they liked him on paper but then got more intel about his personality and balked. Who knows? I certainly don't. But I DO know that is a rare occasion in which we were involved in a three way deal WITH said player we were rumored to like, WHEN we desperately needed a CF, and when the centerpiece of the trade came from us -- and we still didn't end up with the guy. It's not often you know for a fact that you have what it takes to get a guy because another team got the guy on your assets. We DID give up what we had to give up, minus a couple random relievers, and we got some org filler and the right to not pay Mark Teahen instead. Given how small that return is, it's hard to believe that they weren't willing to trade it for a young pre-arb CF with upside, unless they found something out about that player that made them believe he wasn't worth the trouble.

Neither you or I really know how they feel or what really was discussed in the room, I'm just saying this is WAY more evidence than we almost ever have that the Sox were able to get a guy that made sense but chose not to do it. Given that Rasmus is a substantially less attractive asset than at any time in the past, it seems to me that the ship has sailed. But we'll see -- I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if he suits up with us.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 08:44 PM)
Soxtalk has been trying to trade for Rasmus since like 2006. A couple lesser posters were involved in the deal but when the Cards asked for Balta and Greg...well we all know what happened.

I am not taking sides but this was great.

:bringit

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
I'm saying that we don't know that they tried and failed to acquire him. All we know is that there are rumors that they discussed him. Maybe they liked him on paper but then got more intel about his personality and balked. Who knows? I certainly don't. But I DO know that is a rare occasion in which we were involved in a three way deal WITH said player we were rumored to like, WHEN we desperately needed a CF, and when the centerpiece of the trade came from us -- and we still didn't end up with the guy. It's not often you know for a fact that you have what it takes to get a guy because another team got the guy on your assets. We DID give up what we had to give up, minus a couple random relievers, and we got some org filler and the right to not pay Mark Teahen instead. Given how small that return is, it's hard to believe that they weren't willing to trade it for a young pre-arb CF with upside, unless they found something out about that player that made them believe he wasn't worth the trouble.

Neither you or I really know how they feel or what really was discussed in the room, I'm just saying this is WAY more evidence than we almost ever have that the Sox were able to get a guy that made sense but chose not to do it. Given that Rasmus is a substantially less attractive asset than at any time in the past, it seems to me that the ship has sailed. But we'll see -- I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if he suits up with us.

on a serious side, more and more is coming to light than what I read. wow, Ramus must be carry a lot of

baggage. it doesn't matter what that baggage is. I would like to see how fa season plays out and I am sure

there will be more coming out.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)

I can buy this. I just think he would be a good guy to look into. We can buy low and it won't cost a draft pick because I can't imagine they will make him a QO. The guy is still uber talented and in 2013 was on pace for a 6 fWAR season before his injury. I think you buy low, if you can, and hope he returns to that type of player. Now if somebody wants to pay him $15 million per, it won't be and shouldn't be the Sox.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
without factoring the prospects that the sox have to sacrifice to get him, I will deal with the salary

aspect. a big team like Dodgers who has their own tv deal would likely benefit from union with Stanton.

first Stanton will make the Dodgers a very attractive team to watch, to clamor to go and see, which

will improve on the attendance and finally advertising. it a win, win situation.

as much as I wouldn't mind the sox going for it, it would be too much to pay to get him here in chi.

They would have to trade kemp ethier or Crawford first

They have to replace Hanley Ramirez possibly

They will be interested in Russell Martin

They have Kershaw greinke ryu puig Adrian Gonzalez kemp not lacking star power

Otoh they have Peterson Uriah ands seager to get it done prospect wiseThey also need to improve back end of the pen

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)
They would have to trade kemp ethier or Crawford first

They have to replace Hanley Ramirez possibly

They will be interested in Russell Martin

They have Kershaw greinke ryu puig Adrian Gonzalez kemp not lacking star power

Otoh they have Peterson Uriah ands seager to get it done prospect wiseThey also need to improve back end of the pen

ummm ahhh you do know I was using the Dodgers as an example to make a point. right

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
I can buy this. I just think he would be a good guy to look into. We can buy low and it won't cost a draft pick because I can't imagine they will make him a QO. The guy is still uber talented and in 2013 was on pace for a 6 fWAR season before his injury. I think you buy low, if you can, and hope he returns to that type of player. Now if somebody wants to pay him $15 million per, it won't be and shouldn't be the Sox.

Oh, defintely. I'm not saying he doesn't make sense theoretically. In fact, in a way, he makes perfect sense if we treat as something of a buy-low change of scenery candidate. I'm with you there for sure.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 10:20 PM)
Oh, defintely. I'm not saying he doesn't make sense theoretically. In fact, in a way, he makes perfect sense if we treat as something of a buy-low change of scenery candidate. I'm with you there for sure.

I'm wondering what the setup with Nick Markakis will be. He's had 2 down years but is still not ancient like Martinez, he's had 2 down years so there's a decent chance he doesn't get the QO that costs you a draft pick and a substantial amount to your signing pools, he's a left handed hitting corner OF so he fits our needs, but do you think the 2 straight down years is the end of his really productive career or do you think he's got a multi year recovery to his previous production set up?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2014 -> 02:25 AM)
I'm wondering what the setup with Nick Markakis will be. He's had 2 down years but is still not ancient like Martinez, he's had 2 down years so there's a decent chance he doesn't get the QO that costs you a draft pick and a substantial amount to your signing pools, he's a left handed hitting corner OF so he fits our needs, but do you think the 2 straight down years is the end of his really productive career or do you think he's got a multi year recovery to his previous production set up?

I've always been under the impression he'll stay in Baltimore, as he's the owner's favorite player.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 10:29 PM)
I've always been under the impression he'll stay in Baltimore, as he's the owner's favorite player.

My clear issue with Martinez is that i think fair price is an over-bid, so I accept that as a potential issue, but out of all the lineup fits he's the one who catches my interest. With his age I'd pay more overall for him than VMart if I had a scout telling me that he could recover a portion of his previous form.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 6, 2014 -> 03:04 AM)
Sox need to be 2 games worse than the Twins and Red Sox, 3 games worse than the Astros the final 22 games to have a higher pick.

Could be a good night for the Sox.

Red Sox just won.

I feel like it's a given the Sox will finish behind Minnie. Just seems like it's meant to be right now.

There is a good chance Sox will catch Houston, too. They have a new manager and might step it up for him. The Rangers, Dbacks, and Rockies will be tough to catch. Since Houston has that comp pick at @2, looks like Sox might get #5 at this point.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 6, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
There is a good chance Sox will catch Houston, too. They have a new manager and might step it up for him. The Rangers, Dbacks, and Rockies will be tough to catch. Since Houston has that comp pick at @2, looks like Sox might get #5 at this point.

I was just looking at the full standing at MLB and was thinking the same thing. If not for the Houston/ Aiken debacle the Sox could have a shot at #4. Going to be interesting to see how it all plays out the rest of the way.

Looks like the Sox, Cubs, Red Sox, Astros, and Twins are in a cluster for the 5-9 picks.

Through 141:

5. Twins 61-80

6. Astros 62-79

7. Red Sox 62-79

8. White Sox 63-78

9. Cubs 64-77

Hopefully the Sox win fewer than 10 games in the final 21.

7-14 would probably get them 5th or 6th.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 6, 2014 -> 10:17 PM)
The tiebreaker is last year's record, so the White Sox will win the tiebreaker with every team other than the Astros.

Nice! Well, Boston won 4-3 so the White Sox are now in the 7th slot for the 2015 draft.

" Don't stop now boys". :P

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 03:34 AM)
As long as there is progress record wise with this team, it's fine. Don't want us picking in the top 3 again as it shows we still haven't improved. And this is comming from one of the biggest prospect geeks on this board since I've joined.

other than first or second pick, picking 3-10 at this point seems to be kind of the same pick. unless

the sox will be interested in hs'ers. but like anything else forecasting prospect and their value

so far in advance is a rolling dice.

well for the counter agreement, there might be some prospects that develops and comes out of

nowhere to surprise everyone.