Eaton to DL

ChiSox59

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
Does Tuiasasopo play a good CF?

And a career .207 is ok?

He can play LF while De Aza or Leury Garcia slide to CF. In 2013, he hit .244 with 7/30 in 81 games for Detroit. In 79 games that same season, JorDanks hit .231 with 5/12. These are their best seasons.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)
He can play LF while De Aza or Leury Garcia slide to CF. In 2013, he hit .244 with 7/30 in 81 games for Detroit. In 79 games that same season, JorDanks hit .231 with 5/12. These are their best seasons.

It is kind of silly to point to those as important distinctions over such a small sample size. You're talking about a couple of hits and walks as making up the difference in those numbers. Add in that Danks plays plus defense in centerfield and is left handed.

Even if Viciedo went down, I assume the decision on who to bring up would be between Michael Taylor and Danks (again, because he's left handed and plays the best defense)

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
If Jordan Danks can ever be even replacement level with the bat he is a damn fine backup OF. No problem with the Sox giving him multiple chances this year.

I think he's pretty close to that if he doesn't face lefties.

Either way, he is a better, more valuable baseball player than Dayan Viciedo.

Bringing up Danks is the right move. He is coming up after having solid numbers at AAA. If he fails to impress again, then that clars up one question for next year. Cut him loose. If he plays well then he goes into spring as the 4th outfielder or 3rd depending on what happens in left.

I feel like it's a repeat of the same thing we heard about Brian Anderson over and over again...

If only he hits .240 with 15-20 homers, he'll be like Tori Hunter-Lite.

Likewise, I am confident in saying that Jordan Danks being anything other than a 4th/5th outfielder is a sign we're farther away from being a competitive baseball team, not CLOSER.

The bigger problem is Eaton staying on the field. You can't count on someone to lead the team who's constantly hurting himself and out of the line-up one out of every 3 games, roughly. The DiamondBacks knew that Eaton had a lot of upside, but it was similar to the situation with Quentin staying healthy.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
Are people not understanding that our starting CF just went on the DL so we need someone to play CF who isn't Garcia or De Aza?

The answer is Jordan Danks.. If it was De Aza or Viciedo who went down, we probably would have seen Taylor

I think people understand. I also understand that the White Sox are a bad baseball team. Without Eaton they are worse. Just play De Aza in CF. It doesn't really matter. Playing De Aza and Leury in CF also gives the team a much better chance at a top 10 pick.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
I feel like it's a repeat of the same thing we heard about Brian Anderson over and over again...

If only he hits .240 with 15-20 homers, he'll be like Tori Hunter-Lite.

Likewise, I am confident in saying that Jordan Danks being anything other than a 4th/5th outfielder is a sign we're farther away from being a competitive baseball team, not CLOSER.

1) He's not being made into a regular player for the future on this team. He's a 4/5 OF if he remains here.

2) He's never been given the regular at bats that Anderson got, but I bet he could outhit him. His .682 OPS last year in his most regular playing time along with being a plus on the base paths and on defense in CF made him at least a positive WAR player, which is more than can be said for Dayan Viciedo.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 01:16 AM)
1) He's not being made into a regular player for the future on this team. He's a 4/5 OF if he remains here.

2) He's never been given the regular at bats that Anderson got, but I bet he could outhit him. His .682 OPS last year in his most regular playing time along with being a plus on the base paths and on defense in CF made him at least a positive WAR player, which is more than can be said for Dayan Viciedo.

I'm not buying it.

WAR would tell you these 20 guys are all more "valuable" than Abreu.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sort/WARBR/order/true

Would you take ANY of them over Abreu OTHER than Mike Trout? Heyward being THAT high? C'mon. Tulo and Stanton, sure, I could buy that argument. But Yan Gomes?

Would you take Seth Smith over Miguel Cabrera, for example?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 03:41 AM)
I'm not buying it.

WAR would tell you these 20 guys are all more "valuable" than Abreu.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sort/WARBR/order/true

Would you take ANY of them over Abreu OTHER than Mike Trout? Heyward being THAT high? C'mon. Tulo and Stanton, sure, I could buy that argument. But Yan Gomes?

Would you take Seth Smith over Miguel Cabrera, for example?

a) you're using the wrong WAR

b) WAR is a cumulative stat and Abreu missed 2 weeks

c) it's a good rule of thumb to be careful of seasons with huge defensive stats and look more towards career average

d) like anything else, it's important to look at history as well as the current season. Seth Smith put up WAR of 1.2, 1.3, 1.2 and 1.1 his last 4 seasons. Cabrera 6.2, 6.7, 6.8 and 7.5. So I don't think WAR is telling us Smith is more valuable than Cabrera. Either way, the better WAR has Cabrera at 3.4 and Smith at 2.6 for this season. Which is reasonable, Smith is hitting .288/.383/.498 to Cabrera's .306/.365/.515 after all.

e) devoid of context about age and contract, there's a decent number of players there you could make a strong argument that they are more valuable than Abreu right now. Trout, Tulo, McCutcheon, Cano, Puig and Stanton put up comparable offensive numbers at way more challenging defensive positions, and all have more speed on the bases. Lucroy is likely heavily undervalued because of his pitch framing.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 03:08 AM)
a) you're using the wrong WAR

b) WAR is a cumulative stat and Abreu missed 2 weeks

c) it's a good rule of thumb to be careful of seasons with huge defensive stats and look more towards career average

d) like anything else, it's important to look at history as well as the current season. Seth Smith put up WAR of 1.2, 1.3, 1.2 and 1.1 his last 4 seasons. Cabrera 6.2, 6.7, 6.8 and 7.5. So I don't think WAR is telling us Smith is more valuable than Cabrera. Either way, the better WAR has Cabrera at 3.4 and Smith at 2.6 for this season. Which is reasonable, Smith is hitting .288/.383/.498 to Cabrera's .306/.365/.515 after all.

e) devoid of context about age and contract, there's a decent number of players there you could make a strong argument that they are more valuable than Abreu right now. Trout, Tulo, McCutcheon, Cano, Puig and Stanton put up comparable offensive numbers at way more challenging defensive positions, and all have more speed on the bases. Lucroy is likely heavily undervalued because of his pitch framing.

Finally, Jordan Danks just turned 28. Dayan is 25 and put up a 744 WAR rookie season at age 23 in the big leagues. That's going to get him the benefit of the doubt, and he's likely to finish with over 20 homers as well, which will help his case a bit when you look at the lack of pop we're getting out of 3B, 2B, CF, DeAza and Flowers (well, who knows who the REAL Tyler is?).

I'll just say this, as things stand right now, Dayan Viciedo would go into next season as our #2 power threat behind Jose Abreu.

In this day and age, you have to have SOME pop in your line-up. You could argue Avisail Garcia, but I'm not willing to go there until he proves it over a full season.

Second, with Adam Eaton showing a proclivity for getting injured (at least this season), I think it's more and more likely Viciedo will be around again in 2015. Maybe Dayan won't just be given a starting job...as he entered this year in a platoon with DeAza. In a way Hahn "got lucky" when Garcia was injured that he had both DeAza and Tanks to cover that position. It has to be crossing his mind he needs a quality back-up option (compared to Leury Garcia or DeAza) who can play CF with Eaton getting injured so frequently.

Statistically, if they played over a full season of 600 at-bats (I'm going by their cumulative major league results), Danks would hit 15.5 homers over 600 AB's and Dayan would hit 23.5 homers.

We can argue all we want about WAR and Danks' defensive value, but his major league history has shown he's going to strike out out too much for that amount of power and that his defense, while VERY GOOD, isn't Gold-Glove caliber like an Endy Chavez or Franklyn Gutierrez in his prime or Torii Hunter or Juan Lagares.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 06:03 AM)
Finally, Jordan Danks just turned 28. Dayan is 25 and put up a 744 WAR rookie season at age 23 in the big leagues.

Take THAT Mike Trout! Viciedo single handedly was worth 744 wins in 1 season!!! His performance was worth $3 billion dollars in 1 season!!!!!!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 05:03 AM)
Finally, Jordan Danks just turned 28. Dayan is 25 and put up a 744 WAR rookie season at age 23 in the big leagues. That's going to get him the benefit of the doubt, and he's likely to finish with over 20 homers as well, which will help his case a bit when you look at the lack of pop we're getting out of 3B, 2B, CF, DeAza and Flowers (well, who knows who the REAL Tyler is?).

Tank did do that his rookie year, and has been worse every year since. He's a 1B/DH hurting you on defense in LF, and he hasn't been able to be a league average hitter in any of his seasons. Keep him as a platoon DH/insurance plan I suppose, but he'll never hit enough to justify playing any position in the field. In 1238 career PAs against righties, he has a .676 OPS (.677 this year). We face right handed starters in 7 out of every 10 games.

• 2 weeks later...