Harrelson, predictably, taken to task by media

caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 10:23 PM)
Farmteam put this in the game thread, this is verbatim

This is gonna be B&B fodder for a while if/when Matt goes back to producing them full time

An easy backtrack could have been done, or not comment about it at all and just let it go, instead he attacks someone for criticizing the comment.

Brilliant, Hawk. Real classy guy.

It'll be B and B fodder and Abbatacola fodder regardless.

Edited by IlliniKrush

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 10:30 PM)
An easy backtrack could have been done, or not comment about it at all and just let it go, instead he attacks someone for criticizing the comment.

Brilliant, Hawk. Real classy guy.

You know, that's easy for me and you to say. But Abbattacola and B&B insult him literally every day. I really don't think I would be able to let it go either after a while of them taking potshots at me to an audience of 10s of thousands of people. Not saying anything is of course the correct thing to do, but it isn't as if he goes after them like they do to him.

Hawk apparently said ...

"I understand my old buddy Matt Abbatacola just ripped me apart yesterday, calling me names, calling me sexist. Friend of mine -- I didn't know Matt was still in town. I thought he was either fired, or quit and went some place else. I think he's just mad cause I don't use his name anymore. [About a minute later, sarcastically] Yeah, that really hurts, almost broke my heart. But I guess I'll have to live with it."

I love it. Hawk is like Howard Stern. He's untouchable so he might as well fight back. Love it. I wonder if Hawk wrote that out. Really is the perfect comeback. (And I do realize Howard can cuss up a storm and say what he wants on Sirius).

I haven't listened to B&B in a long time because I never found them entertaining or enlightening to listen to, but aren't they pretty harsh and blunt most of the time? I figure they have said things in the past that are worse than what Hawk has said, so is it something they really care about or do they just personally have something against Hawk and use it as a tool to use to hate on him?

Also, I love Hawk, but he has been going downhill for at least the past five years, but this has been his best year he has had in a while. With that being said though, I wouldn't mind his schedule being cut down to home games only, and maybe Wimpy or a classic PBP guy being brought in for road games and emergency announcer.

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
I haven't listened to B&B in a long time because I never found them entertaining or enlightening to listen to, but aren't they pretty harsh and blunt most of the time? I figure they have said things in the past that are worse than what Hawk has said, so is it something they really care about or do they just personally have something against Hawk and use it as a tool to use to hate on him?

Also, I love Hawk, but he has been going downhill for at least the past five years, but this has been his best year he has had in a while. With that being said though, I wouldn't mind his schedule being cut down to home games only, and maybe Wimpy or a classic PBP guy being brought in for road games and emergency announcer.

This has been his worst year yet.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 10:15 PM)
I like Abbatacola, but Hawk earns the point in this argument.

Rongey always takes it too far the other way, and defends the team/organization no matter what, and every fan just realizes he's never going to give you a genuine or authentic nature because of this tendency of his to protect his job.

On the other hand, picking public fights with someone who's the broadcaster for the team carried/hosted by your own radio station seems to be a bit of a stupid move. You can say whatever you want off-the-air or after he's no longer broadcasting the Sox games, but it's kind of like picking on a grandparent...we all know our grandparents (well, mine were born before 1900) aren't always perfect, in fact, my grandfather was very racist...but you can't judge those older people by the standards of today and declare yourself superior, because you didn't go through that same period of history, you can't understand the context...the cyclical nature of prejudicial attitudes being passed down from father to son until the chain is finally broken somewhere along the line.

Even my mom, she's 85...and she will say "colored people" instead of black or African-American. She never uses the term Negro or the much worse "n-word," but I try to tell her all the time people don't say that anymore and it's like she can't change or filter her vocabulary at this point in her life. It's why you saw the likes of Howard Cosell and Al Campanis go down later in their careers.

So I understand exactly what Harrelson was trying to say...just as I equally understand those from my generation or or the one following feel the need to put down older folks for not being so sensitive or empathetic.

Plus, Hawk's got that Ozzie Guillen in him...he will engage with anyone who attacks him, and he always wants to get the last word in. (Remember all that stuff with Mariotti, Hiney-bird and then Cowley?) That's why the Stone and Harrelson pairing hasn't always worked, two pretty healthy egos, whereas Paciorek is willing to put Hawk on a pedestal and be the faithful sidekick and not get in his way or walk over his lines.

I feel 100% confident John Rooney or Dave Wills would never say something like what Hawk did, they're from the following generation of broadcasters...but that doesn't mean they're better, they're just more professional and less opinionated, and that's fine. Actually, Farmer is more opinionated that Harrelson, and made comments without knowing what he was talking about (SF home plate call with Flowers/Blanco) that were more embarrassing to me as a Sox fan, because he THINKS he always knows what he's talking about.

Edited by caulfield12

Adam Dunn needs to be suspended. Look what he said about Alexei:

“He plays every single inning every day,” Adam Dunn said. “When you look at him, he’s built like a 12-year-old girl. It’s amazing. He’s very surprisingly durable, and the kid just loves playing.”

12 year old girls need to protest.

Edited by Dick Allen

B&B are simply the worst, just full blown hypocrites. They're guilty of saying as much stupid and insensitive s*** as Hawk. Luckily for them, they are bullies and don't allow others to call them out on their constant bulls***. I'm glad Hawk sort of stuck up for himself, however, this will ultimately backfire as B&B will surely use this is in one or more of their daily gang-up ripfests of Hawk.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (balfanman @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 03:43 AM)
IMHO, that's not what he's saying at all. He did not say that women "athletes" were afraid of contact etc., he's saying that women in general are not as tough as men....generally.

Female athletes are a very small percentage of the overall female population. I'm in my mid 50's and probably 98% of the women I know would have nothing to do with a collision.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with what Hawk said and in my opinion the P. C. people are way over the line here, as they are on most issues.

Good God of course that's not what he said but for some unknown reason a poster put a comment that a man's baseball team would beat a women's baseball team. Perhaps they felt that was productive. And if you don't think what hawk said was wrong you should go to your niece or daughter or nearby young girl, show her the clip and explain to her why it's not wrong.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Good God of course that's not what he said but for some unknown reason a poster put a comment that a man's baseball team would beat a women's baseball team. Perhaps they felt that was productive. And if you don't think what hawk said was wrong you should go to your niece or daughter or nearby young girl, show her the clip and explain to her why it's not wrong.

The reason anyone became so offended by this, and again, no women as of yet,is because they are card carrying Hawk haters. 4 years ago the Tribune published a poster during the Stanley Cup Final of Chris Pronger in a skirt calling him Chrissy Pronger. There was no big deal. On this site someone posted it and said they couldn't believe it wasn't being talked about. Illini did say it was stupid but did not go on about why. Others who are saying what Hawk said is just wrong said nothing although they were posting. Then there was the Chrissy Pronger is gay in the Blackhawk locker room. No outrage. .

Besides if you think about it Hawks usage is not sexist. What do women generally put skirts on to do? Not getting dirty and physical. The Pronger thing had looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Far more sexist if you want to be PC and not just admit males are just better at these games than females or there would be female participation.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)
The reason anyone became so offended by this, and again, no women as of yet,is because they are card carrying Hawk haters. 4 years ago the Tribune published a poster during the Stanley Cup Final of Chris Pronger in a skirt calling him Chrissy Pronger. There was no big deal. On this site someone posted it and said they couldn't believe it wasn't being talked about. Illini did say it was stupid but did not go on about why. Others who are saying what Hawk said is just wrong said nothing although they were posting. Then there was the Chrissy Pronger is gay in the Blackhawk locker room. No outrage. .

Besides if you think about it Hawks usage is not sexist. What do women generally put skirts on to do? Not getting dirty and physical. The Pronger thing had looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Far more sexist if you want to be PC and not just admit males are just better at these games than females or there would be female participation.

That's not always true, think of women's field hockey, lacrosse or professional tennis players, for example.

They were forced by societal conventions to wear them, at one point, over "masculine" shorts...but they at least provide free range of movement.

It is funny to note that the media is totally exploiting the idea of female dominance in baseball as a big deal for one of the lead stories, even outside of sports, with Mo'ne Davis. The entire idea is that females aren't as good as males, so when a female dominates males, in a male sport, this is a huge news story.

No sexism there, right media?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
It is funny to note that the media is totally exploiting the idea of female dominance in baseball as a big deal for one of the lead stories, even outside of sports, with Mo'ne Davis. The entire idea is that females aren't as good as males, so when a female dominates males, in a male sport, this is a huge news story.

Of course, everyone knows there's a big difference between a 13 year old (physically, maturity-wise) compared to a 17 or 18 year old girl.

We're still talking about children in this situation, not women beating men...Billy Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs this isn't.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
Of course, everyone knows there's a big difference between a 13 year old (physically, maturity-wise) compared to a 17 or 18 year old girl.

We're still talking about children in this situation, not women beating men...Billy Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs this isn't.

The first to crucify people for sexism, are the first to exploit it for ratings.

Just like many of the same people slamming Hawk for being an old school sexist, are exploiting the idea that females have to all come in some sexually optimal form, otherwise they are inferior to the rest of their sex and aren't desirable for the opposite sex.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
The first to crucify people for sexism, are the first to exploit it for ratings.

Just like many of the same people slamming Hawk for being an old school sexist, are exploiting the idea that females have to all come in some sexually optimal form, otherwise they are inferior to the rest of their sex and aren't desirable for the opposite sex.

It's a good story because of the fact that so few African-American kids are playing baseball these days....and she's a girl, and throwing 70 MPH.

The last time there was this much coverage was Danny Almonte, who turned out to be overage.

I'll give another example. There was a girl from my hometown (Bettendorf, Iowa) with a picture of her and her partner from Naperville who won the Under-16 in beach volleyball in today's sports section of the Quad City Times...a national title in California. So of course they had to print a photo of them wearing their bikinis and holding the title (albeit it was the 2nd page). I really wonder if two boys had done the same thing, would they have included a picture of them shirt-less in the sports section? Or was the story simply interesting because people from states like California, Florida or Hawaii never believe Midwesterners can play volleyball well (regional bias)?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)

Yes. All you have to do is go read the Hot Babe thread and you will find a couple hypocrites. BTW, has anybody yet asked any women if they were offended by Hawk's comments?

For the record, I have no problem with the Hot Babes thread.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)

Excellent point. Isn't Davis doing this in the LL World Series though? It is kind of a big deal she is no hitting the boys.

I'm still laughing that people actually think this is a big deal or an issue...good lord. And I have 3 daughters too before anybody thinks about criticizing me. They laugh at crap like that...and don't take it literal. Hell...my middle daughter tells her boyfriend to get the sand out of his Vah-jay-jay all the time! Much. Ado. About. Nada....

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 05:17 AM)
Matt Abbatacola ‏@MattAbbatacola 12h

Too bad the @whitesox allow Ken to use the team broadcasts to be sexist and to express his personal agenda to things not related to baseball

Yup, because B&B never express their personal agendas on their shows. I hate defending Hawk, because he does say some stupid s***, but these guys have no right to call him out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 05:17 AM)
Matt Abbatacola ‏@MattAbbatacola 12h

Too bad the @whitesox allow Ken to use the team broadcasts to be sexist and to express his personal agenda to things not related to baseball

As opposed to using a 1-6 timeslot every day to express a personal agenda? Interesting how it works when you can't control the message like you can with callers.