White Sox Projected Arbitration Salaries

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
I just think we can stomach it for this year while the payroll is really low. In years where we're maxing it out, I don't think you'd even consider it.

That might actually be the plan this year. Go after free agents as many as you can afford . Any draft picks you lose will be 2nd round or later all in 1 draft class instead of say losing a 1st rounder next year if you sign a free agent. Take advantage of that protected pick this year unless there are rules to prevent this I don't know about. In that scenario you don't tender Tank a contract.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
Non tendering Viciedo is crazy talk, not going to happen. Why? He's 25 years old right now and has hit 20+ HR's in 3 straight seasons. Now I'm not saying he should be given another year for us, but I refuse to believe that there isn't a team that would be willing to trade for him. I'm not even saying for a lot, but a young arm for the bullpen shouldn't be that hard to obtain in my opinion.

I agree that Viciedo's got enough value to be tendered a contract but he has not hit 20+ HR 3 straight seasons since it was 25, 14 and 21 which averages out to 20/season exactly ,not 20+, nor 3 seasons in a row for the sake of accuracy when supporting your opinion.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 02:37 AM)
I agree that Viciedo's got enough value to be tendered a contract but he has not hit 20+ HR 3 straight seasons since it was 25, 14 and 21 which averages out to 20/season exactly ,not 20+, nor 3 seasons in a row for the sake of accuracy when supporting your opinion.

unless it was meant to be an avg of 3 yrs.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
Non tendering Viciedo is crazy talk, not going to happen. Why? He's 25 years old right now and has hit 20+ HR's in 3 straight seasons. Now I'm not saying he should be given another year for us, but I refuse to believe that there isn't a team that would be willing to trade for him. I'm not even saying for a lot, but a young arm for the bullpen shouldn't be that hard to obtain in my opinion.

Good call. For as upset as most of us are about Viciedo, non-tendering him would be stupid. I think he gets traded pretty soon.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)
Good call. For as upset as most of us are about Viciedo, non-tendering him would be stupid. I think he gets traded pretty soon.

Agreed. I would tender him and then try to trade him. Even by tendering him, they would be around 56 million in contract commitments for 2015.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
The problem with that is that he's a terrible hitter against both pitching sides.

Yep. He doesn't play defense well enough to play in the field. He doesn't hit well enough to just bat. He's a very disappointing player. I held out hope for Viciedo for a long time because of the power tool but he's just bad at baseball.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
Agreed. I would tender him and then try to trade him. Even by tendering him, they would be around 56 million in contract commitments for 2015.

So what happens if we can't trade him? It's not far-fetched to think he would be difficult to move, given the trade deadline we just witnessed. So either we move him for some organization's literal garbage, or we're stuck with him wasting a roster spot again.

In my opinion, the 1% chance that the Sox turn Viciedo into the next Matt Thornton is not worth the 30% chance that they're forced to keep employing him.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
So what happens if we can't trade him? It's not far-fetched to think he would be difficult to move, given the trade deadline we just witnessed. So either we move him for some organization's literal garbage, or we're stuck with him wasting a roster spot again.

In my opinion, the 1% chance that the Sox turn Viciedo into the next Matt Thornton is not worth the 30% chance that they're forced to keep employing him.

the trade deadline is the perfect example of not assuming a player

can be traded.

Danks and DV couldn't be traded, but i keep seeing this phrase thrown

out there. we then can trade him.

posters need to start looking to see if a player has value and what

that value is. not what we, as fans think the value should be.

Edited by LDF

Trade deadline is not a good way to judge. Teams could be budgeted out, or may be looking at a different guy. The offseason is quite different. Teams aren't committed to the same players, etc.

Hahn knows if he could trade Viciedo. If he doesn't want him and can't trade him, he will be non tendered. If he is tendered. He either wants him or knows he can get something for him.

Considering DV has 20+ HR power, I bet there's a few teams that would be interested. The key is for Hahn not to expect too much in return. With payrolls opening up over the winter as they always do, now is the best time to find a trade partner for DV and not before the deadline when most teams budgets are just about tapped.

Dunn did net the Sox Nolan Sanburn so I think there's hope for DV.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)

$4/5 million isn't going to kill the team. At absolute worst, if you waived the guy, someone would claim him for just his salary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
$4/5 million isn't going to kill the team. At absolute worst, if you waived the guy, someone would claim him for just his salary.

I am pretty sure with arb awards, you can waive him in spring training, if it ever came to that, and only be responsible for 20% of the award.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
I am pretty sure with arb awards, you can waive him in spring training, if it ever came to that, and only be responsible for 20% of the award.

Would that only be if the White Sox actually went to arbitration with him? Because they wouldn't do that, like every other team they'd sign a contract somewhere before the hearing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
Trade deadline is not a good way to judge. Teams could be budgeted out, or may be looking at a different guy. The offseason is quite different. Teams aren't committed to the same players, etc.

Hahn knows if he could trade Viciedo. If he doesn't want him and can't trade him,

he will be non tendered. If he is tendered. He either wants him or knows he can get something for him.

not necessary true. depending on the org meeting on budget, he may

be worth a gamble for a player who can still hit something like 15 hrs.

then see what is out there in 2016 in players for trade or fa.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Considering DV has 20+ HR power, I bet there's a few teams that would be interested. The key is for Hahn not to expect too much in return. With payrolls opening up over the winter as they always do, now is the best time to find a trade partner for DV and not before the deadline when most teams budgets are just about tapped.

Dunn did net the Sox Nolan Sanburn so I think there's hope for DV.

i would even settle for comp picks or slot and money.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
Would that only be if the White Sox actually went to arbitration with him? Because they wouldn't do that, like every other team they'd sign a contract somewhere before the hearing.

it would be fun b/c of his agent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)

You might be right, but that again depends on somebody out there thinking he's not worthless. Viciedo has had 1800 plate appearances to prove what he can do and it's been a failure. I don't care about his age, he doesn't make any progress.

As DA said, Hahn probably knows the market better than any of us. I just have trouble imagining anybody wanting this guy. A .300 OBP and terrible defense undermine the 20 HR sales pitch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)

When was the last time the Sox when to an actual arbitration hearing?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)

Hahn knows if he could trade Viciedo. If he doesn't want him and can't trade him, he will be non tendered. If he is tendered. He either wants him or knows he can get something for him.

Yeah, I agree with this. Not mentioned here is the possibility that the Sox were looking and hoping for better players too and only dealt those others when they knew they frankly had to get rid of them.

If the Sox want to get rid of Viciedo next year at $4.5 million, there will be a team that is willing to take a chance on it.