Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
yeah if Alexei is going anywhere, Rick better make sure that team is taking Danks and his contract too.

Why? While Danks isn't worth the money, he's not a negative player either.

With the sox in good budget mode, to use Alexei to dump Danks' salary would be terrible.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
yeah if Alexei is going anywhere, Rick better make sure that team is taking Danks and his contract too.

similar to how the Cabrera + Dontrelle Willis deal years ago to DET. we have to unload Danks' contract.

Eh, if we are dealing Alexei, I would rather get a bigger return in players, than to get a crappier one and get rid of Danks. We need talent more than we need salary relief.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
Alexei + Danks + Trayce for Joc and one of Ethier/Kemp seems fair to me.

I brought that trade (swap trayce for generic crap prospect) up on the mlbtraderumors comment section just for fun and LA fans bashed the hell outta me calling me crazy.lol

They want Ramirez for Ethier straight up.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)

similar to how the Cabrera + Dontrelle Willis deal years ago to DET. we have to unload Danks' contract.

Except Alexei is nowhere near the asset Cabrera was.

Honestly, given the payroll we have and the window we are looking at, I'd much rather just pay Danks his money if it means we can extract much more value in trades of our own assets.

Unless Dodgers is ready to make Seager a full time 3B, it does not make sense for them to trade a top level prospect like Pederson for Alexei.

The only way this makes sense for them is unloading a bad contract like Either or Kemp, plus a couple of mid level ML ready prospects for Alexei and Danks.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
Unless Dodgers is ready to make Seager a full time 3B, it does not make sense for them to trade a top level prospect like Pederson for Alexei.

The only way this makes sense for them is unloading a bad contract like Either or Kemp, plus a couple of mid level ML ready prospects for Alexei and Danks.

Then they can enjoy not having Alexei. The Sox have zero need to move him, and would be completely stupid to take on a bad contract without getting a star potential young players for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
Then they can enjoy not having Alexei. The Sox have zero need to move him, and would be completely stupid to take on a bad contract without getting a star potential young players for him.

Exactly. Sox have to be impressed, not the other way around.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)

No.

If we're not getting a top flight talent back, do not trade Alexei.

What exactly is the point of clearing Danks's contract out if it leaves us without one of our best players and 2 more holes as a result? We save $23 million by clearing Danks and Alexei, great, but now we have only $23 million to spend to find a replacement starting pitcher and a starting shortstop. That's a completely lateral move at best and quite possibly a move that makes the Sox worse.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
No.

What exactly is the point of clearing Danks's contract out if it leaves us without one of our best players and 2 more holes as a result? We save $23 million by clearing Danks and Alexei, great, but now we have only $23 million to spend to find a replacement starting pitcher and a starting shortstop. That's a completely lateral move at best and quite possibly a move that makes the Sox worse.

I wouldn't advocate to trade Alexei to the Dodgers for one of their outfielders anyways. Taking away our best infield glove and replace it with huge question marks in the outfield will most likely make us a worse team in 2015. If we trade Alexei, we should look for good defense + prospects in return, or least knowing we can get the gloves in a separate trade or in the FA market.

I think I alluded to an Alexie / Danks deal earlier. I think it could make sense but am very intrigued at the possibilities hear. A lot of potential match-ups that could be beneficial for both organizations. I also think it will likely drive Soxtalk to have very unrealistic packages of what the package would be if in fact a trade is agreed upon.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
I think I alluded to an Alexie / Danks deal earlier. I think it could make sense but am very intrigued at the possibilities hear. A lot of potential match-ups that could be beneficial for both organizations. I also think it will likely drive Soxtalk to have very unrealistic packages of what the package would be if in fact a trade is agreed upon.

We should maximize our return for Alexei.

From the Dodgers standpoint, how much they are willing invest give up ABSOLUTELY depends on what they see out of Seager. The kid's bat should make him a regular as early as 2016. If they see him as an SS for at least a few years and only wants Alexei as a stop gap, then they wouldn't be willing to part with valuable assets for Alexei. And that's where discussion from Hahn should end.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

Personally, out of all 3 outfielders, I'd be willing to take all of Kemp's contract plus a prospect or two for Alexei Danks and Thompson (if we get Pederson im the deal). Dodgers would still have:

LF: platoon of Crawford/ Van Slyke

C.F: Ethier/Puig (Arruebarrena/Guerrero if they want to move one of them to the outfield)

RF: Puig/Ethier

And then Thompson as a fifth outfielder (depending on if they move a Cuban to the outfield)

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
No.

Does John Danks really leave a hole? Yes, hes a body that can throw a decent amount of innings, but so can a lot of guys. Losing Danks in any deal should be the least of our worries.

Now Alexei? I guess it comes down to whether you think this team can actually be a serious contender by the time his deal is done or not. Obviously you want to get a good return for him because he is indeed 1 of the better SS's in the game, but at the same time his value could never be higher than it is right now. If we keep Alexei and only win 80 games this year I will personally be upset at the wasted opportunities to trade him. I still think this team has a ton of work to do and should still be looking bigger picture.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
We should maximize our return for Alexei.

From the Dodgers standpoint, how much they are willing invest give up ABSOLUTELY depends on what they see out of Seager. The kid's bat should make him a regular as early as 2016. If they see him as an SS for at least a few years and only wants Alexei as a stop gap, then they wouldn't be willing to part with valuable assets for Alexei. And that's where discussion from Hahn should end.

I am in the camp that you only trade Alexei if we think we get top value for him. We are not forced to move him but if we can get an elite talent or above average talents plus significant payroll flexibility that is USED (see: moving Danks), then I am all for it. I am not packaging him with Danks just for payroll flexibility though. He is a serious chip and a valuable commodity and if we move him it better be for worthwhile assets (not just payroll flexibility).

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
First off, no chance of Pederson coming back for Alexei, that's just beyond unreasonable. The Dodgers are trying to make room for Pederson, not trade him. :lol:

I'm hoping the Sox are focused on some kind of package around Schebler.

Well that and the fact that they really want to clear payroll. Plus don't they still have another outfield prospect on the way? Plus Puig Ethier Kemp Crawford are all under contract for 3+ years so its unlikely they more than one.

First off, no chance of Pederson coming back for Alexei, that's just beyond unreasonable. The Dodgers are trying to make room for Pederson, not trade him. :lol:

That would involve unloading two of their high priced OFs, which ain't happening.

That would involve unloading two of their high priced OFs, which ain't happening.

Bingo!! That's whom I've been hoping they will get. Lots of potential and a left handed power bat.

He's blocked by the guys who will be in the outfield, even if the Dodgers can move a couple of the high priced, aging veterans.

I'm not discounting some other swap that might include Kemp or Ethier, but Schebler could be part of our young core, and a much needed LH Power Bat.

What no Pederson. Kinda funny alot people thought we should get Snydergaard for alexei.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
Well that and the fact that they really want to clear payroll. Plus don't they still have another outfield prospect on the way? Plus Puig Ethier Kemp Crawford are all under contract for 3+ years so its unlikely they more than one.

If I remember right, Schebler is that prospect that's on the way plus I think there's a kid in the lower minor levels as well. I think its possible we see something like Alexei and Danks for Schebler, one of Crawford/ Ethier and a low level prospect.

It is a total and utter pipe dream to think that the Dodgers would include Joc Pederson in any trade. They are trying to move the other guys - Ethier, Crawford - to make room for Pederson.

My two cents worth is that the two teams are talking about a deal that would involve Ethier and also include Arruebarrena, as well as another prospect. That would give us a lefty outfield bat and a strong defensive player whose hitting abilities are an unknown at this point, but who could at least replace Leury Garcia. In return they would take Danks. We would then turn around and either sign Cabrera or Lowrie to a 2 year contract, until such time that Tim Anderson is ready.

We would go after a "big fish" starter - Shields, perhaps - Put Bassitt in the rotation, use Carroll as the long man and spot starter.

This would give us Sale, Shields, Quintana, Noesi and Bassitt until Rodon is ready.

I would prefer a trade with the Mets to get a young starter, but that would obviously not include getting rid of Danks. The Mets have a stable of young starters and are in desperate need of a SS.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
It is a total and utter pipe dream to think that the Dodgers would include Joc Pederson in any trade. They are trying to move the other guys - Ethier, Crawford - to make room for Pederson.

My two cents worth is that the two teams are talking about a deal that would involve Ethier and also include Arruebarrena, as well as another prospect. That would give us a lefty outfield bat and a strong defensive player whose hitting abilities are an unknown at this point, but who could at least replace Leury Garcia. In return they would take Danks. We would then turn around and either sign Cabrera or Lowrie to a 2 year contract, until such time that Tim Anderson is ready.

We would go after a "big fish" starter - Shields, perhaps - Put Bassitt in the rotation, use Carroll as the long man and spot starter.

This would give us Sale, Shields, Quintana, Noesi and Bassitt until Rodon is ready.

I would prefer a trade with the Mets to get a young starter, but that would obviously not include getting rid of Danks. The Mets have a stable of young starters and are in desperate need of a SS.

The Sox are not taking on two big contracts this winter (a Dodger OF and Shields). They finally got to the point where they are in a good payroll position. They aren't about to blow that up again.