Sale switching Sox?

SoCalSox

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)
Doubt it.

They think he's Trout-like. Or he will be.

Another ace could put the Astros over the top.

Imagine a rotation of Sale/Keuchel/McCullers/McHugh/Fiers

That's a World Series winning rotation right there. They'd be dumb to not move Springer in a 1 for 1 swap like that.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 07:25 PM)
Another ace could put the Astros over the top.

Imagine a rotation of Sale/Keuchel/McCullers/McHugh/Fiers

That's a World Series winning rotation right there. They'd be dumb to not move Springer in a 1 for 1 swap like that.

They'd lose a lot of their O. I wouldn't do it if I were them. They've got an ace. Q would really solidify their rotation. They need pen help too.

Let me ask you this - would you take him straight up for Sale?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)
They'd lose a lot of their O. I wouldn't do it if I were them. They've got an ace. Q would really solidify their rotation. They need pen help too.

Let me ask you this - would you take him straight up for Sale?

Not a chance, but the Astros would make that trade 100% of the time. Sale and Keuchel would be a lethal 1-2 combo and that doesn't even include McCullers or McHugh who are both pretty good in their own right.

Is it easier to find a young outfielder with potential or a solidfied ace on an extremely team friendly deal? You know the answer to that.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)
Is it easier to find a young outfielder with potential or a solidfied ace on an extremely team friendly deal? You know the answer to that.

Your description of Springer is not how the Astros see Springer. Regardless, the Astros have an ace. They don't have another Springer. An Ace is not their missing ingredient.

And Aces come available in the open market. There are 2 of them available this year. Players that the Astros think Springer is rarely do. There's a reason for that.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 08:21 PM)
Your description of Springer is not how the Astros see Springer. Regardless, the Astros have an ace. They don't have another Springer. An Ace is not their missing ingredient.

And Aces come available in the open market. There are 2 of them available this year. Players that the Astros think Springer is rarely do. There's a reason for that.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Ask any somewhat knowledgeable baseball fan who they'd rather have on their team and 95% or more of them would say Sale.

There's no possible way the White Sox could ever get true value for Sale. They'd have to find a team that is so stacked at the minor league level that they'd be willing to trade (and probably destroy) their top prospects for him. These top prospects can't be from a team like the current White Sox system; they would have to come from an organization that has 4 or 5 top 50 MLB prospects, and it's hard to argue that the White Sox shouldn't get all of these prospects back. Even if the White Sox were more focused on getting major league talent back, you're still talking 1-2 top young pieces plus minor league talent from that top 50 MLB list. It's just extremely unlikely that the White Sox will be able to find a team willing to move as much as they should seemingly ask for.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
There's no possible way the White Sox could ever get true value for Sale. They'd have to find a team that is so stacked at the minor league level that they'd be willing to trade (and probably destroy) their top prospects for him. These top prospects can't be from a team like the current White Sox system; they would have to come from an organization that has 4 or 5 top 50 MLB prospects, and it's hard to argue that the White Sox shouldn't get all of these prospects back. Even if the White Sox were more focused on getting major league talent back, you're still talking 1-2 top young pieces plus minor league talent from that top 50 MLB list. It's just extremely unlikely that the White Sox will be able to find a team willing to move as much as they should seemingly ask for.

Absolutely agree, which is why the Astros would trade Springer for him each and every time.

It'd be highway robbery if Springer was the only player coming to the Sox in a deal like that.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 09:48 PM)

Did you see what the Bosox gave up for Kimbrel? They have more prospects left, plus Swihart. Not saying it'll happen, but I hear it's being discussed.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
Did you see what the Bosox gave up for Kimbrel? They have more prospects left, plus Swihart. Not saying it'll happen, but I hear it's being discussed.

Source assuming what you're talking about is the White Sox and Red Sox are talking about a deal?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)

I agree with this. Can't see him being moved until mid-2017 at the earliest when he has 2.5 season of control (and not a rental) left as opposed to 4.

Edit: I should say mid-2017 if we are doing bad and are out of it in June/July and if the state of the organization still looks rough. At that point, deal him for max val

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)

They were willing to overpay for a closer. Would you give up overpay for a closer isn't that humongous, Compared to what you give up to pay for an ace. I think they gave for the closure wouldn't be enough to get even Q, who should return number two starter value, but likely wouldn't because he doesn't have the number two starter look.

Also keep in mind that aces do hit the open market (2 available this year), which reduces the trade value.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
They were willing to overpay for a closer. Would you give up overpay for a closer isn't that humongous, Compared to what you give up to pay for an ace. I think they gave for the closure wouldn't be enough to get even Q, who should return number two starter value, but likely wouldn't because he doesn't have the number two starter look.

Also keep in mind that aces do hit the open market (2 available this year), which reduces the trade value.

The aces available this year are going to cost somewhere between $150 and $200 million more than Chris Sale over the life of their contracts.

I had a hour long conversation about this today. I said that if had to trade Sale to Boston I would want back: Boagaerts (He fills an immediate need, as he can be your third baseman or shortstop of the future), Yoan Moncada (I need your top prospect back and bat that should play anywhere for me), and another prospect or two back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
The aces available this year are going to cost somewhere between $150 and $200 million more than Chris Sale over the life of their contracts.

That's true. But they're available. Equivalent level hitters are not. Stanton almost was, but he wasn't.

I think the insane price aces will get make Sale's value even higher, not lower. But, I don't expect any team to actually give up full value for Sale either which is why I'm confident Sale will be the White Sox opening day starter in '16. Nothing wrong with discussions on what he could bring back in a trade though and especially since us fans haven't had much to talk about so far.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 11:29 PM)
I think the insane price aces will get make Sale's value even higher, not lower. But, I don't expect any team to actually give up full value for Sale either which is why I'm confident Sale will be the White Sox opening day starter in '16. Nothing wrong with discussions on what he could bring back in a trade though and especially since us fans haven't had much to talk about so far.

I think you'll hear about it more next year if the White Sox miss the playoffs again. Next year's free agent pitchers are 1. Stephen Strasburg 2. Brett Anderson...................

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)
I think you'll hear about it more next year if the White Sox miss the playoffs again. Next year's free agent pitchers are 1. Stephen Strasburg 2. Brett Anderson...................

I think you're right. Next year would be the year to trade either Sale or Q. One more year gives Rodon another year of building his innings and developing into the ace of the staff, gives Montas and Fulmer time to develop into potential MLB starters and buys time for the likes of Adams, Guerrero etc to move into the upper minors. IMHO, trading Sale or Q now would be a year too soon.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)
I'd be willing to bet that Sale would get $400+ million if he was on the open market this offseason.

Lol. You can't be serious right? The richest contract for a pitcher in baseball history belongs to Clayton Kershaw at 7 years, $215 million. Before signing that contract Kershaw had already won 2 Cy Youngs, 3 ERA titles, and a triple crown. You really think that Sale would get nearly double the guaranteed money when he has not accomplished what Kershaw has and has lingering durability concerns? Even if it were a 10 year deal it would have to be $40+ million per year which is roughly 33% more per year than Kershaw makes.