WhiteSox and Emilio Bonifacio agree to one year, $4 million contr

Downtown518

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to piss in anyone's cheerios, because cheerios are delicious, but Bonafacio hit nearly .340 for the month of April with 8 walks and 10 SB. Then, it would appear, he hit about .240 the remainder of the season with only 18 more walks and 16 more SB. He got a good chunk of his season done in April, then was a pretty bad offensive player the rest of the year.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:45 AM)
Not to piss in anyone's cheerios, because cheerios are delicious, but Bonafacio hit nearly .340 for the month of April with 8 walks and 10 SB. Then, it would appear, he hit about .240 the remainder of the season with only 18 more walks and 16 more SB. He got a good chunk of his season done in April, then was a pretty bad offensive player the rest of the year.

I think he will be a great bench player. Way better then Garcia was last year.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:47 AM)
I think he will be a great bench player. Way better then Garcia was last year.

I'd have to absolutely agree with that. I don't think he is a bench player though. My guess is Bonafacio becomes our starting 2B, who will spell anyone who needs it, allowing Carlos Sanchez, Luery Garcia, or JB Shuck to get some starts at 2B. I think this move pretty much sealed Micah's start in AAA. And the other 3 guys will battle for backup IF spots.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 02:51 AM)
I'd have to absolutely agree with that. I don't think he is a bench player though. My guess is Bonafacio becomes our starting 2B, who will spell anyone who needs it, allowing Carlos Sanchez, Luery Garcia, or JB Shuck to get some starts at 2B. I think this move pretty much sealed Micah's start in AAA. And the other 3 guys will battle for backup IF spots.

I'd say you are very much in the minority here. It would seem clear that as things stand now, Bonifacio is Gillaspie's platoon mate at 3rd and a super utility guy who can play infield and outfield, pinch run, and replace just about anyone defensively. The starting second base job will go to Sanchez or Johnson. Circumstances could arise where Bonifacio takes over the 2nd base job if he's hitting great and Sanchez and/or Johnson fall flat on their face and the team is in contention. But the opening day starter will be Sanchez or Johnson.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:51 AM)

I think he was brought in as insurance at 2B. If Sanchez and/or Johnson play poorly, there is a veteran bat behind them. If Ozzie were managing, I'd agree with you 100% and I think we'd all be a lot less optimistic about this move, but I think Ventura will manage this OK.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
However, I do hope we're not set on the bench. I've had my fill on Jordan Danks even though I do like him. I'd be in the market for a RH, defensive-minded outfielder who could play CF. At the beginning of the offseason I had Chris Denorfia as plan A and Chris B. Young as plan B. That way, instead of platooning Adam LaRoche, which some posters are suggesting but will not happen, we can improve defense and sit LaRoche against some lefties. Move Avi/Cabrera to DH or Eaton when he's injured and improve the defense/play for splits.

Craig Gentry would be my higher-end, buy-low pick up of choice but we would have to trade for him. As far as free agents, it seems the best options have been taken away already with the aforementioned two as well as Ruggiano all being picked up. I'm afraid it's just not a priority in the front office at this point.

You may well be right regarding the bolded, but let me propose a not so fast caveat. Bonifacio, because of his IF/OF versatility actually frees up the roster for defining just that role. And if DV proves untradeable this offseason, but is still worthy of a one more chance sentiment from the FO (a real possibility, imo), then what other role can DV possibly play with EB now in the fold?

Or, to put it another way, it's clear that Hahn reads Soxtalk and NOT SSS. :P

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 02:03 AM)
I'd say you are very much in the minority here. It would seem clear that as things stand now, Bonifacio is Gillaspie's platoon mate at 3rd and a super utility guy who can play infield and outfield, pinch run, and replace just about anyone defensively. The starting second base job will go to Sanchez or Johnson. Circumstances could arise where Bonifacio takes over the 2nd base job if he's hitting great and Sanchez and/or Johnson fall flat on their face and the team is in contention. But the opening day starter will be Sanchez or Johnson.

I am in this camp as well.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
[/b]

You may well be right regarding the bolded, but let me propose a not so fast caveat. Bonifacio, because of his IF/OF versatility actually frees up the roster for defining just that role. And if DV proves untradeable this offseason, but is still worthy of a one more chance sentiment from the FO (a real possibility, imo), then what other role can DV possibly play with EB now in the fold?

Or, to put it another way, it's clear that Hahn reads Soxtalk and NOT SSS. :P

I am in this camp as well.

the problem is not whether DV is not worth the spot, its if the sox can

deal with DV as a spare for the OF. doesn't the sox need a LH batter for

the OF????

the other point i would like to address, Avi, has shown not to be able to

play without getting hurt, same with Eaton. the other factor is whether

the idea of Sanchez manning 2b. so in essence the sox need some

other spare parts on the bench or in the minors.

the minors have yet to produce any viable option yet i am sure in another

yr they might. but that will not help the big team now.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
the problem is not whether DV is not worth the spot, its if the sox can

deal with DV as a spare for the OF. doesn't the sox need a LH batter for

the OF????

the other point i would like to address, Avi, has shown not to be able to

play without getting hurt, same with Eaton. the other factor is whether

the idea of Sanchez manning 2b. so in essence the sox need some

other spare parts on the bench or in the minors.

the minors have yet to produce any viable option yet i am sure in another

yr they might. but that will not help the big team now.

No, they don't. You've only got 1 righty out there already. Boni becomes the primary fourth OF plus CG platoon partner, if they go with a guy like Sanchez as the 25th man, or he becomes the primary backup infielder, if the 25th man is smeone like Jordan Danks. But a lefty OF is no longer a need, and the 25th man can now be determined by ST and merit, if they so choose - a nice allowance due to EB's flexibility.

Bench, as of today, and making the big assumption that Micah is ready to man 2B:

Tank - LaRoche platoon/PH/occasional LF

Boni

CSanchez or JorDanks or other RHH OF with enough power and defensive ability to make Tank even less useful

Backup C - I'll go with Nieto in a close call, still might see a new upgrade here. Whoever it is will have a larger role than Nieto had in 2014.

I think Tank has a role now, even if he is far from ideal for it. RH isn't painted into a corner of having to dump him. Boni MAY be the last move guaranteed to affect the 25 man between now and ST.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)
not really. You've only got 1 righty out there already. Boni becomes the primary fourth OF plus CG platoon partner, if they go with a guy like Sanchez as the 25th man, or he becomes the primary backup infielderif the 25th man is smeone like Jordan Danks. But a leftly OF is no longer a need, and the 25th man can now be determined by ST and merit, if they so choose - a nice allowance due to EB's flexibility.

yeah you are correct.

so the OF is pretty much determine, so where does DV stand esp

with this quasi number crunch?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
yeah you are correct.

so the OF is pretty much determine, so where does DV stand esp

with this quasi number crunch?

Just a guess but I think if the Sox are unable to find a trade partner for Viciedo he's cut loose from the roster. I still have confidence in the Sox being able to trade Viciedo for, something.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)
Just a guess but I think if the Sox are unable to find a trade partner for Viciedo he's cut loose from the roster. I still have confidence in the Sox being able to trade Viciedo for, something.

i don't, or else they would have done so.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)

Maybe you're both right, but needs change when players get hurt in ST. I'm saying there's a chance. If he looks horrid in ST, the 3.7Million will likely be salvaged. If he looks good, could help tradeability. I think the "D-day" is somewhere around St. Patty's, March 17. We may be drinking to Tank's departure.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 08:27 PM)
Maybe you're both right, but needs change when players get hurt in ST. I'm saying there's a chance. If he looks horrid in ST, the 3.7Million will likely be salvaged. If he looks good, could help tradeability. I think the "D-day" is somewhere around St. Patty's, March 17. We may be drinking to Tank's departure.

as much as i dislike him, i still want the best for the sox.

So, is this the platoon partner for Gillaspie then?

Bonifacio has a career 97 wRC+ vs LHP

Gillaspie has a career 124 wRC+ vs RHP

That, assuming my math is right, combines for: 294/347/378 (725). A .725 OPS is in between Panda and McGehee. Maybe around a 106 wRC+?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)

Thing is, there are still better options available than Viciedo. Once team like Boston, LA and SD trade away some excess OF talent I think a small window will open up to trade Viciedo. Then again, it could be wishful thinking on my part.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)

If this happens, St.Patrick will be surely pissed if Viciedo steals his thunder. :P

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 11:00 PM)
So, is this the platoon partner for Gillaspie then?

Bonifacio has a career 97 wRC+ vs LHP

Gillaspie has a career 124 wRC+ vs RHP

That, assuming my math is right, combines for: 294/347/378 (725). A .725 OPS is in between Panda and McGehee. Maybe around a 106 wRC+?

That 106 wRC+ would have to be inaccurate. Using your career splits methodology. Sox faced 73.64% right handed pitching last year.

26.36% x 97 =25.57

73.64% x 124 = 91.31

wRC+ would be 116.88

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)

You don't just dump a 25 year old 20 plus homer guy that quickly. He can still fill a role for the Sox, if not traded

Bring back Beckham.

Thanks, Caulfield

Actually, the major problem's going to be if Eaton is injured...which would pull Bonifacio off 3B and the Gillaspie split.

Of course, one would assume if it's a major injury they would have another OF in Charlotte to bring up, along the lines of Danks, Shuck or Campana.

But are any of those three a better option than Bonifacio?

Perhaps they would prefer Saladino splitting time with Conor and playing Emilio in CF in that situation.

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:07 AM)
20 homers, are you saying a 20 homer guy is a home run hitter? I say no way,

a 40 homer guy is home run hitter, but not 20. thanks, douglas

This ain't the steroid era, my man. Exactly one player hit 40 or more dingers last season (Nelson Cruz). I guess Abreu isn't a home run hitter?

Besides, who's saying Viciedo is a "home run hitter?" Whatever that term means to you or anyone else is irrelevant. elRockinMT simply pointed out that Viciedo is a 20+ HR guy, which is factually correct as he's hit 20 or more HRs in two of the past three seasons.

Despite his numerous shortcomings, Viciedo does have power and is still young. Like elRockinMT said, he's not a guy you just dump. Maybe he can't be traded right now and it's hard to see a long-term role/future for him on this team, but something will open up eventually.

It's not like he's taking the roster spot of an everyday player. We're talking about Viciedo vs Danks/Campana/Shuck. Sure we'd have more flexibility with a left-handed bat that can play CF, but with Bonifacio in the fold it's a luxury, not a necessity.

It can wait to be addressed when/if someone in the OF goes down (knock on wood), if Viciedo isn't traded by then.

Thanks, Ding-Dong

Edited by Señor Ding-Dong