Hawk on the Score with Mully & Hanley this morning

Kyyle23

Hawk came on the score this morning at 7:35, im sure the podcast will be up later. He had a lot of his normal platitudes(best offseason by a GM i have ever seen, etc.), but one thing stood out to me, he said that he does not think Hahn is done.

You can say a lot of things about hawk(many of them true), but he DID call this offseason last year. Here is to hoping he continues to be right

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 08:00 AM)
You mean better than he did in 1986? Getting rid of LaRussa, Dombrowski and Bonilla?

You do know in 1986 he picked Bonilla in the rule 5 don't you? Trading him probably turned out well for the White Sox. A few more wins the next couple of seasons, they might not have had McDowell, Ventura, Thomas and Fernandez later on.

And if Soxtalk were around in 1986, LaRussa would have been about as popular as Robin Ventura if he brought Cleto in to close a 1 run game with the bases loaded.

I think Larry Himes did a pretty good job as Hawk's replacement. I doubt Dombrowski, if he would have been the replacement had Hawk kept him around, would have been able to match.

Hawk wasn't a great GM. He will be the first to tell you that. But it wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. The 1986 team was doomed. Burns was done. Seaver wanted out. James was done. Hawk got Bonilla, who eventually turned into Lance Johnson. He also got Calderon who was pretty good, and became Tim Raines.

Hawk got the job because the minor league system was worse than it has been at any point the last 20 years. The year before they drafted the great catcher Kurt Brown in round one. The next pick.........Barry Bonds.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
You do know in 1986 he picked Bonilla in the rule 5 don't you? Trading him probably turned out well for the White Sox. A few more wins the next couple of seasons, they might not have had McDowell, Ventura, Thomas and Fernandez later on.

And if Soxtalk were around in 1986, LaRussa would have been about as popular as Robin Ventura if he brought Cleto in to close a 1 run game with the bases loaded.

I think Larry Himes did a pretty good job as Hawk's replacement. I doubt Dombrowski, if he would have been the replacement had Hawk kept him around, would have been able to match.

Hawk wasn't a great GM. He will be the first to tell you that. But it wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. The 1986 team was doomed. Burns was done. Seaver wanted out. James was done. Hawk got Bonilla, who eventually turned into Lance Johnson. He also got Calderon who was pretty good, and became Tim Raines.

Hawk got the job because the minor league system was worse than it has been at any point the last 20 years. The year before they drafted the great catcher Kurt Brown in round one. The next pick.........Barry Bonds.

Fair enough ... Only take issue with 'it was worth losing for years because it brought us better players later'

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
Fair enough ... Only take issue with 'it was worth losing for years because it brought us better players later'

The minor league system was worse than it was at any time during the KW regime. There wasn't much talent at the major league level. It was a case where they had to tear it all down and rebuild it. They got really lucky when Himes hit paydirt 4 years in a row and that set them up for a while.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)

Lol DA, this might be the faintest praise I've ever read/heard.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 07:44 AM)
Hawk came on the score this morning at 7:35, im sure the podcast will be up later. He had a lot of his normal platitudes(best offseason by a GM i have ever seen, etc.), but one thing stood out to me, he said that he does not think Hahn is done.

You can say a lot of things about hawk(many of them true), but he DID call this offseason last year. Here is to hoping he continues to be right

If it's a minor piece like a 4th OFer or some bullpen depth then I could see it.

Other than that, a trade for a 3B, 2B, or C, I just don't see, unless something happens in ST at either of those positions (hopefully no injuries).

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)
Lol DA, this might be the faintest praise I've ever read/heard.

Hawk's year as the GM has been written and talked about as something that basically set the team back for 5 years. That team was going to be bad regardless of who the GM was. All you really have to do is check the roster. There were some pieces acquired that helped in the future.

I laugh at all of the people now who made it seem like Hawk committed some sort of felony when he got rid of LaRussa. LaRussa got booed every time he went to the mound. Many of the same people who would call into radio shows to say LaRussa sucked and needed to go are fans that now use firing LaRussa as proof Hawk is an idiot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
Hawk's year as the GM has been written and talked about as something that basically set the team back for 5 years. That team was going to be bad regardless of who the GM was. All you really have to do is check the roster. There were some pieces acquired that helped in the future.

I laugh at all of the people now who made it seem like Hawk committed some sort of felony when he got rid of LaRussa. LaRussa got booed every time he went to the mound. Many of the same people who would call into radio shows to say LaRussa sucked and needed to go are fans that now use firing LaRussa as proof Hawk is an idiot.

You're right -- if someone claims that he set the franchise back several years, they're off base.

Still, if the BEST thing you can say about a guy is that "the next regime was able to take advantage of all the great draft picks he earned them," and "the next regime was able to salvage some value from all the bad trades he made," then the guy was really bad.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
It's not like there are any big moves left to make, other than Moncada...

Maybe a late spring training addition. They have spent the money. If there is something that really needs addressing, I think they now will try to do something about it instead of waiting. If, for some reason, all the computers are right, and this is a 77 or 78 win team (without huge injuries), it will be a huge blow to the franchise.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
If it's a minor piece like a 4th OFer or some bullpen depth then I could see it.

Other than that, a trade for a 3B, 2B, or C, I just don't see, unless something happens in ST at either of those positions (hopefully no injuries).

Given that the Sox are shying away from a Moncada signing due to the penalty, I will hold onto a sliver of hope for Hector Olivera.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
Maybe a late spring training addition. They have spent the money. If there is something that really needs addressing, I think they now will try to do something about it instead of waiting. If, for some reason, all the computers are right, and this is a 77 or 78 win team (without huge injuries), it will be a huge blow to the franchise.

More than any other year, I'm really nervous about health. This is a team that's totally fine if everything goes according to plan, but an injury to Abreu, Eaton, or any of the three top starters could ruin the season before it begins.

And I think that's a lot of why the projections don't like the team -- they have playing time projections built in, and they assume contributions from much further down the depth chart than we typically imagine because they expect an average amount of injuries.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)

Hell Dick, now nobody is going to post in this thread. You called them all out for being bad fans, which they are.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
You're right -- if someone claims that he set the franchise back several years, they're off base.

Still, if the BEST thing you can say about a guy is that "the next regime was able to take advantage of all the great draft picks he earned them," and "the next regime was able to salvage some value from all the bad trades he made," then the guy was really bad.

As I stated, the team was doomed. It was going to be bad. The next regime did a lot better job drafting players than ANY regime in White Sox history.

And Hawk made some good trades. Calderon was a good player, and he also got the White Sox Tim Raines. Jose DeLeon, acquired for Bonilla, who Hawk selected in the rule 5 draft, was a good pitcher, and he also eventually netted Lance Johnson. Bonilla was better than DeLeon, but not as good as what the Sox might not have had if they had kept him.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/1/11/3862...y-minor-leagues

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
Hell Dick, now nobody is going to post in this thread. You called them all out for being bad fans, which they are.

I didn't say bad fans. Just people who kind of forget what they really thought and in hindsight criticize moves they agreed with.

There is no way if Soxtalk were around in 1986 the firing of Tony LaRussa would have been universally panned.

I dont know about Hahn not being done yet. I am pretty comfortable with saying he will not make another major move before the season starts. Midseason? Yeah I can see that happening for sure but as far as this offseason and going into ST he is pretty much done other then the subtle roster moves.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 07:55 AM)
Hawks drives me nuts sometimes when he goes overboard with the umpires, but I think he's awesome.

I might be the last Hawk Homer left in the world, but I love the guy. Sure he doesn't know when to shut up at times, but I love the fact that he articulates what I am thinking during the game. When I am pissed, he is ranting. When I am thrilled, he is over the moon. I don't want to think about the day that Hawk isn't in the booth. He is pretty much the only voice of the White Sox I can remember. Except for the 2005 playoffs, the guy is the soundtrack to every single great memory I have of my favorite team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
As I stated, the team was doomed. It was going to be bad. The next regime did a lot better job drafting players than ANY regime in White Sox history.

And Hawk made some good trades. Calderon was a good player, and he also got the White Sox Tim Raines. Jose DeLeon, acquired for Bonilla, who Hawk selected in the rule 5 draft, was a good pitcher, and he also eventually netted Lance Johnson. Bonilla was better than DeLeon, but not as good as what the Sox might not have had if they had kept him.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/1/11/3862...y-minor-leagues

Right but you can't give Hawk credit for trading for Tim Raines or Lance Johnson. Hawk gets credit for DeLeon and Calderon. One of those was a good trade, one was a bad trade.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
Right but you can't give Hawk credit for trading for Tim Raines or Lance Johnson. Hawk gets credit for DeLeon and Calderon. One of those was a good trade, one was a bad trade.

Read the link, and wouldn't you have to give him credit for selecting Bonilla in the rule 5?

That's a lot of WAR he picked up for Scott Bradley and $50k.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
I might be the last Hawk Homer left in the world, but I love the guy. Sure he doesn't know when to shut up at times, but I love the fact that he articulates what I am thinking during the game. When I am pissed, he is ranting. When I am thrilled, he is over the moon. I don't want to think about the day that Hawk isn't in the booth. He is pretty much the only voice of the White Sox I can remember. Except for the 2005 playoffs, the guy is the soundtrack to every single great memory I have of my favorite team.

I am with you on all of this but its the in between that kills me. His random negative opinions of people that he has because they dont buy into 100% of what he says is annoying. His stubbornness with downplaying sabermetrics and his constant rambling about TWTW and embellishment of made up stories gets old.

But like you said, all the other stuff he brings to the telecast is right on point and I still enjoy him too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)

I think he was among the best in the business in his prime. I think he is clearly NOT that now.

He pisses me off sometimes because he says some of the dumbest s*** I've ever heard and he represents the White Sox, but most of the time I'm fine with him still. Not because he's good at his job necessarily, but because he usually makes me feel like him and I are in this thing together. He's just a part of the experience at this point. I don't agree with hardly anything my grandpa thinks, for example, but I still love him and want him around at Christmas.