Crain has thrown from mound

southsider2k5

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
:D

thanks. this maybe the strongest this pen has been, how would you compare it to the 2005 pen.

Until the actual season happened youd have expected the 05 pen to be weak. He'll their closer out of ST didn't last a month and they went through 3

Closers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
Barring injury, I'd say that Perticka and Jennings are also locks.

I think they are likely to make it, but there are situations I can see where they wouldn't keep them. Jennings is basically a flyer despite having put up good numbers previously because the club obviously wasn't high on Rienzo, so I don't think there's attachment there. Petricka has option and if he has no command, I don't think they are married to the idea of him being in the pen.

Literally, the short list for guaranteed bullpen pitchers are Robertson and Duke.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 1h1 hour ago

Jesse Crain felt great again throwing live BP. He'll throw one more session on Sunday and then they'll re-evaluate

Crain's next step is probably a B game or Minor League game but he seemed as confident as he's been all camp today

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 09:57 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 1h1 hour ago

Jesse Crain felt great again throwing live BP. He'll throw one more session on Sunday and then they'll re-evaluate

Crain's next step is probably a B game or Minor League game but he seemed as confident as he's been all camp today

Thanks for sharing. This is great news and hopefully he continues his comeback successfully

#WhiteSox mulling the next step for Jesse Crain. Could be side session, B game, simulated game. But he feels best he has since injury.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/577182319552823297

.@JesseCrain threw live BP again today and said its the best he's thrown all spring. Thinks next step is either B game or minor league game.

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/577183502770290688

Again great progress for Jesse Crain. Another live BP session and it was the best he has thrown all spring. Some sort of game next

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/577185980496551936

Could be simulated game, B game, Minor League game. He has been off the mound 10 times this spring.

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/577186082053185536

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

I believe that there were 76 relievers in MLB that averaged at least a K per inning.

The Sox had 1 - and that was Cleto in limited duty. (veal, too, in 6IP).

The guys were young, so they can improve; but I also don't think we had many "must carry" on that staff last year.

As for Crain, he hasn't pitched in nearly 2 years and is 34. Even if he does come back, at what level of effectiveness will he deliver?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 15, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
I believe that there were 76 relievers in MLB that averaged at least a K per inning.

The Sox had 1 - and that was Cleto in limited duty. (veal, too, in 6IP).

The guys were young, so they can improve; but I also don't think we had many "must carry" on that staff last year.

As for Crain, he hasn't pitched in nearly 2 years and is 34. Even if he does come back, at what level of effectiveness will he deliver?

No one really knows at this point, but chances are extremely high that he'll be better than Belisario/Downs/Francisco/Veal/Snodgrass were last year.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Mar 15, 2015 -> 07:29 PM)
No one really knows at this point, but chances are extremely high that he'll be better than Belisario/Downs/Francisco/Veal/Snodgrass were last year.

He was better than them last season when he didn't get in a game. Right now, he isn't better than those guys if he were put on the mound. Hopefully he gets back up to snuff but I believe he had a shoulder injury, and you saw how it changed John Danks. Crain's recovery is taking longer. I wouldn't expect the 2012 Jesse Crain to emerge this season. If it does, it's a huge bonus, but to think he will be anything more than a mediocre 6th or 7th inning guy this year is really pushing it IMO.

Apparently it was bicep surgery. Here is an article from March 22 last year. He thought he would be game ready at the end of April or the beginning of May.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/...ury/#21129101=0

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
He was better than them last season when he didn't get in a game. Right now, he isn't better than those guys if he were put on the mound. Hopefully he gets back up to snuff but I believe he had a shoulder injury, and you saw how it changed John Danks. Crain's recovery is taking longer. I wouldn't expect the 2012 Jesse Crain to emerge this season. If it does, it's a huge bonus, but to think he will be anything more than a mediocre 6th or 7th inning guy this year is really pushing it IMO.

Apparently it was bicep surgery. Here is an article from March 22 last year. He thought he would be game ready at the end of April or the beginning of May.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/...ury/#21129101=0

i like crain but all i would say, with out pointing out the real obvious point, is we the sox fans can get some service time from him. otherwise he will not make a dent in this collection of arm the sox FO have assembled. the players the sox signed, he players from last yr and whatever arms that may be considered, this is the strongest group the sox have.