Attendance 2015

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 09:50 PM)
The cubs have 2,000 less seats in their ballpark right now than they did last year.

So even if they sold every one of those 2,000 missing seats they would basically be breaking even? That's still shocking to me. Me thinks the opening day debacle has had an impact.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 06:36 AM)
So even if they sold every one of those 2,000 missing seats they would basically be breaking even? That's still shocking to me. Me thinks the opening day debacle has had an impact.

It's more like 5,000 missing bleacher seats in the outfield

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 07:32 AM)
I love how the people who wax nostalgic about Old Comiskey are often the same people who whine about the new park's location.

The park isn't ideally located. Most people drive and traffic patterns cause troubles. If they played in the South Loop, many more people would have use of Metra, etc.

I have no problem with the park. I think it's really nice. For the field of play, yeah it would be cool if it wasn't so symmetrical. A weird little nuance here and there would be great. But for watching a game, sightlines, I've been to a lot of stadiums, I don't see where this one is beat. People moan about the upper deck. Go sit in the upper deck at all of these stadiums recently built. They are no better.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 07:55 AM)
People moan about the upper deck. Go sit in the upper deck at all of these stadiums recently built. They are no better.

This has been a complaint about our park that I have never understood. I have never been to any other park where the upper deck was significantly better than the Cell's.

The park isn't ideally located. Most people drive and traffic patterns cause troubles. If they played in the South Loop, many more people would have use of Metra, etc.

I have no problem with the park. I think it's really nice. For the field of play, yeah it would be cool if it wasn't so symmetrical. A weird little nuance here and there would be great. But for watching a game, sightlines, I've been to a lot of stadiums, I don't see where this one is beat. People moan about the upper deck. Go sit in the upper deck at all of these stadiums recently built. They are no better.

I don't like sitting in the upper deck at ANY stadium, but yeah, this one is better than most.

i have been a fan for a long time, in the sox history, i have been to the old stadium and the new. i have been stl and several more.

the present day sox park is great and the ownership with the sports authority has done all they can to continue to bring or make the sox park a fun, family orientate environment.

now, i will complain about the steepness of the upperdeck. i haven't been to alot of parks, but the one i have been too, sox park is steeper. i understand the concept of building it and trying to bring the illusion of being on top of the game from the upper deck. but it is too steep. there is nothing that can be done about it now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 07:55 AM)

My grandson who lives Chicago meT me at the park. We tailgated feasting on Buffalo wild wings and Red Stripe beer I am sure that tailgating at Wrigley would almost be impossible. At the game on this frigid night the game before us showed little excitement until the ninth inning when a sox rally almost proved too much the remainder of the crowd was exhuberant, sounding like a full stadium as the 4 run ninth was capped off my Melky Cabrerra's hit which came on a pulled in outfield.

Edited by sammy esposito

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
My grandson who lives Chicago me at the park. We tailgated feasting on Buffalo wild wings and Red Stripe beer I am sure that tailgating at Wrigley would almost be impossible. At the game on this frigid night the game before us showed little excitement until the ninth inning when a sox rally almost proved too much the remainder of the crowd was exhuberant, sounding like a full stadium as the 4 run ninth was capped off my Melky Cabrerra's hit which came on a pulled in outfield.

tail gating..... chi hands down.

i wonder who or which team first stated the tail gating ???

down here in LA, lsu football and baseball does it up pretty good. this morning they were talking about a big party to watch the lsu baseball team . this doctor has a custom grill built with seating and all that crap.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 08:12 AM)
This has been a complaint about our park that I have never understood. I have never been to any other park where the upper deck was significantly better than the Cell's.

The problem with our upper deck, at least initially when there were the extra nine rows at the top, was that the entrance was at the base of the deck, not somewhere in the middle. If you had seats towards the top of the deck, the combination of having to start at the bottom and walk all of those steps up at the rather steep incline of this particular deck was not ideal. It certainly wasn't good in any manner for anyone elderly or over weight. It just wasn't. So with that quickly came the oft-heard maligning of the upper deck, leading to a negative stigma that still has residual effect to this very day.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)
The problem with our upper deck, at least initially when there were the extra nine rows at the top, was that the entrance was at the base of the deck, not somewhere in the middle. If you had seats towards the top of the deck, the combination of having to start at the bottom and walk all of those steps up at the rather steep incline of this particular deck was not ideal. It certainly wasn't good in any manner for anyone elderly or over weight. It just wasn't. So with that quickly came the oft-heard maligning of the upper deck, leading to a negative stigma that still has residual effect to this very day.

That's the one problem with the Bears 400 level. You can only enter at the bottom, so if you are at the top that's 30+ rows of stairs you have to go up/down every single time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
It's basically the same exact design as Kauffman Stadium....minus the outfield fountains, and the fact that the upper decks in KC gradually slope down towards the foul poles instead of staying at the same height all the way around.

I'm surprised you managed to insert the Royals into this thread, usually you don't mention them very often.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)

I think the biggest problem with the White Sox upper deck, and the entrance you mentioned would have been better, but the complaining would have still occurred, is the fans were used to the upper deck at the old park, which was probably club level high at most. That started the snowball rolling, and it has never stopped, and I don't think ever will.

The fact is many if not most upper deck seats pretty much suck in most parks in baseball. There are seats just as bad as the bad seats at USCF in each park.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
That's the one problem with the Bears 400 level. You can only enter at the bottom, so if you are at the top that's 30+ rows of stairs you have to go up/down every single time.

On the 20tgh and am sure other games so far this year the lower level was not filled and on that day the upper deck occupants could have easily fit into the lower level seats. So on that particular day just allow the upper deck occupants to move down to the lower level. Everyone happy.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)

you may be right, but then why get rid of those top 9 rows of seats. what was the reasoning.

i was there one night when the park open up. my cuz and i shared our season tickets. so on the off night i went and brought upper deck. this person trip and fell roll down the stairs, i was looking backwards at the game and he took my feet from me. dislocated my shoulder. now for a point of ref. this was the night that someone had a gun and shot himself in the leg, behind home plate.

the seating, as i said before, was a good idea in concept, but it didn't work in real life.

now the rest of the park, its great....

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
I think the biggest problem with the White Sox upper deck, and the entrance you mentioned would have been better, but the complaining would have still occurred, is the fans were used to the upper deck at the old park, which was probably club level high at most. That started the snowball rolling, and it has never stopped, and I don't think ever will.

The fact is many if not most upper deck seats pretty much suck in most parks in baseball. There are seats just as bad as the bad seats at USCF in each park.

those were great seats. i love the old park, esp the food.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
On the 20tgh and am sure other games so far this year the lower level was not filled and on that day the upper deck occupants could have easily fit into the lower level seats. So on that particular day just allow the upper deck occupants to move down to the lower level. Everyone happy.

oh that is funny, the owners said 1 time, they, the fans paid for certain seating and it is reserved. those who didn't pay, have to sit in the area they paid for. no freebees

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 09:29 PM)
I use to travel to see the White Sox play a road series every year. The Cleveland stadium was the biggest disappointment. Other than the fact that the stadium is in the downtown area, there was nothing about it that I liked. The Cell is much nicer in my opinion. The Indians play in a downtown stadium in a one team market and they don't draw. That Indians announcer has nothing to brag about.

The only thing Jacobs Field has on USCF is that you enter at the top of the 100 level, instead of the bottom, and the skyline is open in the outfield. Then again you are looking at Cleveland so...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
I've been to a couple games this season. When the crowd isn't going to be at least 25k, I don't think they even check for upper deck seats if you want to go to the lower level.

i love this, i never thought i see posters talking about the attendance in the 25K. compared to the normal 10-15k.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
i love this, i never thought i see posters talking about the attendance in the 25K. compared to the normal 10-15k.

I asked one of the ushers one day he said when the lower deck is filled the sox attendance is around 25000 when it is filled 38000 before the seats were removed Us cellular could house 44.000. I have ventured into the highest seats when it was built. I am now handicapped and sit in those seats
    Edited by sammy esposito