Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
great point.... i guess it is still in the early feeling out point.

but can you imagine if the sox pulled the trigger, least 2 weeks ago with a reasonable rtn price??? that trade would have been made.

a good rtn, not max out the rtn.... is all i would be happy with.... something that would be better than a 1rn comp pick.

2 weeks ago they were one one of the hottest teams in baseball record wise.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but can you imagine if the sox pulled the trigger, least 2 weeks ago with a reasonable rtn price??? that trade would have been made.

a good rtn, not max out the rtn.... is all i would be happy with.... something that would be better than a 1rn comp pick.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
Has there even been any of those comments post KC series?

Probably not, but I would have said the same thing a week or two ago.

Even when we were playing pretty well, with a league worst offense, that's not something you just overcome to go on a crazy second half run.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)

and therein lies the problem..... it like what the Gypsies will call Gypsy summer.... a false summer or in this case a false hot streak that convinced the sox fo that anything was possible.

now i am not blaming them for this hope, but the sox was lacking. i would have trusted the hot streak and i stated it then.

but then again i was for the white flag trade as well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
the past off season sure didn't.

in some way i disagree..... we saw Hahn and the sox fo will make moves if they believed.

however the job wasn't done.

i still have faith in the sox fo, if the owners do get royally pissed, will spend..... now to get them to that point.

Even during the 11-game stretch where they went 9-2, they still scored just 2, 7, 1, 3, 1, 4, 1, 7, 2, 1, and 5 runs per game. They won 4 times scoring 2 runs or less.

That was a nice little stretch of wins, but you're not going to sustain that over a few months with that type of offense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 06:29 AM)
1. Because they went on that poorly timed run in late June and early July, they probably were hesitant to trade him until they were 100% out of it.2

2. He was actually performing well during that run so the White Sox holding onto him possibly did help him establish that he could still produce for a contender.

3. There are a lot of pitchers on the trade market right now and none of them have moved at all. Teams are being hesitant and aren't pulling out their best offers yet.

I think 3 is probably the most important of these. There are so many front line pitchers out there, especially if you count Price, that the teams with starting pitching needs can wait on the market to come down.

This is hilarious to me. The sequence of all trade discussions since 2012:

- This is going to be a sellers market and sox have some great pieces

- Sox are just holding out for highest bidder

- There are a lot of players out, people aren't just going to sell their farm

- Listen, the return they got is reasonable, you can't compare our situation to x team that got way more

rinse, repeat.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
This is hilarious to me. The sequence of all trade discussions since 2012:

- This is going to be a sellers market and sox have some great pieces

- Sox are just holding out for highest bidder

- There are a lot of players out, people aren't just going to sell their farm

- Listen, the return they got is reasonable, you can't compare our situation to x team that got way more

rinse, repeat.

in what you posted..... it is a sad commentary but very true.... the rest of the league is used to the sox dealing in a way and now it wants to chg that opinion.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
I'm not certain exactly what the Dodgers needs are at this point, but what would the Sox have to include with Samardzija for the Dodgers to part with Barnes and Schebler?

Quintana. The Dodgers aren't trading Barnes for a rental, he is going to be there unless they get a guy that is under contract back in return, so for either Q or Hamels, other than that Barnes will not be traded IMO.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
I think with Shark the sox would be smart to be the ones to strike first.

But it takes 2 teams. Maybe Hahn wants to trade today, but he needs a buyer to be willing to trade now instead of waiting closer to the deadline

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
But it takes 2 teams. Maybe Hahn wants to trade today, but he needs a buyer to be willing to trade now instead of waiting closer to the deadline

no one really knows. but it is always good to get several teams bidding.

if the possibility of selling and the rtn is better than the comp pick do it. just don't haggle for the sake of haggling now. be the first to strike.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
Quintana. The Dodgers aren't trading Barnes for a rental, he is going to be there unless they get a guy that is under contract back in return, so for either Q or Hamels, other than that Barnes will not be traded IMO.

Technically they don't need Barnes. They have an all star catcher who is still young (Grandal). I don't know if they trade Barnes for a rental, but it isn't like we are talking about a top 50 prospect.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
Technically they don't need Barnes. They have an all star catcher who is still young (Grandal). I don't know if they trade Barnes for a rental, but it isn't like we are talking about a top 50 prospect.

That was sorta the way I was looking at it too. The reason I mentioned Barnes and Schebler was because neither has been labeled as untouchable by the organization, both are blocked, and both can help out the Sox really soon.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
That was sorta the way I was looking at it too. The reason I mentioned Barnes and Schebler was because neither has been labeled as untouchable by the organization, both are blocked, and both can help out the Sox really soon.
Maybe no one wants shark!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)

From what Peter Gammons wrote yesterday, it sounds like the four prospects that Dodgers will not trade in a rental are Barnes, Urias, Seager, and Jose DeLeon. They like Barnes a lot and have and have moved him around the IF to build up some positional flexibility to play 2B and 3B. They are giving him a test out at C now and I would not be surprised to see them sell high on Grandal rather than moving Barnes.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
From what Peter Gammons wrote yesterday, it sounds like the four prospects that Dodgers will not trade in a rental are Barnes, Urias, Seager, and Jose DeLeon. They like Barnes a lot and have and have moved him around the IF to build up some positional flexibility to play 2B and 3B. They are giving him a test out at C now and I would not be surprised to see them sell high on Grandal rather than moving Barnes.

I really wanted Grandal the past two off-season because he felt like the type of player they could use. High obp, switching hitting catcher whos young.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
I really wanted Grandal the past two off-season because he felt like the type of player they could use. High obp, switching hitting catcher whos young.

Me too. Too bad we missed him when his value was a little lower.