Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 03:39 PM)
Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 10m10 minutes ago

The #Astros engaged in talks with #Whitesox about Jeff Samardzija before acquiring Kazmir from #Athletics, sources say.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 9m9 minutes ago

One source said it came down to #Astros and #Athletics being a "better fit'' more than #Whitesox being indecisive to deal.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 9m9 minutes ago

I'm also hearing #WhiteSox are active in trade talks even though they haven't thrown up the white flag publicly.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 8m8 minutes ago

#WhiteSox think they can still get a significant haul for Samardzija at deadline. #BlueJays among several clubs interested.

Now this sounds like the closest thing to my view of reality that I have heard. I would imagine what it boiled down to was that the Sox wanted way more than Houston was willing to give up, which was spun into they dont' want to sell.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
Now this sounds like the closest thing to my view of reality that I have heard. I would imagine what it boiled down to was that the Sox wanted way more than Houston was willing to give up, which was spun into they dont' want to sell.

That's kinda my impression as well. I think the Astros came to the Sox with a low ball offer, the Sox countered, and the Astros didn't like the asking price. People that think the A's haul is week for Kazmir need to look at his home/road splits.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
I don't trust Hahn's ability to identify/evaluate talent. He has a poor track record so far.

He has done a much better job drafting (albeit in much more favorable circumstances in both draft rules and slots), but he certainly struck out on the Eaton/Davidson/Garcia evaluations

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
I don't trust Hahn's ability to identify/evaluate talent. He has a poor track record so far.

If I'm not mistaken, KW is more responsible for the scouting aspect than Hahn. Wasn't the story that Hahn hadn't even seen Abreu in person when he was signed?

Not that this really changes anything...

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
I still think he stays. And signs long term.

That makes no sense unless we're already spending money in anticipation of the 2019 tv broadcast rights deal.

The only $100+ million contract divvied out will be for a younger, bonafide ace in the 24-28 age range.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
I still think he stays. And signs long term.

I'm not seeing it, and I don't think he'll be worth the contract he ends up getting, so I almost hope we don't sign him.

And if he's willing to give a hometown discount, I'm guessing the Cubs will get it, not us anyway.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
He has done a much better job drafting (albeit in much more favorable circumstances in both draft rules and slots), but he certainly struck out on the Eaton/Davidson/Garcia evaluations

You can't really say he struck out with the Eaton and Garcia deals.....

Eaton had a great year last year offensively and defensively. This year, just like the whole team, a down year. Book doesn't end on this deal. In this deal, we gave up Hector Santiago who was brutal last year but this year is pretty good. Works both ways.

First off, the Garcia deal is the Peavy deal in which we were never going to resign. This deal will probably produce 3 MLB players with an outside chance at a 4th.

The Davidson/Reed deal. Hasn't worked out for either team.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
I'm not seeing it, and I don't think he'll be worth the contract he ends up getting, so I almost hope we don't sign him.

And if he's willing to give a hometown discount, I'm guessing the Cubs will get it, not us anyway.

Why do you think that he would be more likely to give a "hometown discount" to the Cubs? I understood that he has some hard feelings toward that organization.

Moreover, he's always been a big Sox fan.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)
You can't really say he struck out with the Eaton and Garcia deals.....

Eaton had a great year last year offensively and defensively. This year, just like the whole team, a down year. Book doesn't end on this deal. In this deal, we gave up Hector Santiago who was brutal last year but this year is pretty good. Works both ways.

First off, the Garcia deal is the Peavy deal in which we were never going to resign. This deal will probably produce 3 MLB players with an outside chance at a 4th.

The Davidson/Reed deal. Hasn't worked out for either team.

Let's not forget, the Red Sox offered Iglesias, the White Sox declined and swapped Avi for Iglesias. In hindsight, Iglesias is a lot more valuable than Avi so far.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
Let's not forget, the Red Sox offered Iglesias, the White Sox declined and swapped Avi for Iglesias. In hindsight, Iglesias is a lot more valuable than Avi so far.

I disagree with that. Was there ever a report saying the Sox declined Iglesias? Because the Tigers desperately needed a SS because Peralta was suspended for PEDs.

At the time, Garcia looked like a power hitting OFer with a gun for an arm, and Iglesias was an all glove, no bat kind of player.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 06:07 PM)
I disagree with that. Was there ever a report saying the Sox declined Iglesias? Because the Tigers desperately needed a SS because Peralta was suspended for PEDs.

At the time, Garcia looked like a power hitting OFer with a gun for an arm, and Iglesias was an all glove, no bat kind of player.

That's why he was hitting .330 at the time of the trade.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)

Lets just think about this. The Tigers traded Avi for Iglesias. The Red Sox did not get anyone from the Tigers. The Red Sox wanted Peavy. So bottom line, yes, the White Sox could have had Jose but they preferred Avi and that is why they were able to get a 3rd team involved to get the headliner that they wanted.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
Why do you think that he would be more likely to give a "hometown discount" to the Cubs? I understood that he has some hard feelings toward that organization.

Moreover, he's always been a big Sox fan.

I wasn't aware he had animosity towards the Cubs. It's been said that he would love to stay in Chicago. If that's the case, even if he's willing to give up some $$$ to make that happen, odds are the Cubs still outbid us, and the Cubs are certainly a safer bet to be a contender the next few years, especially if they land someone like Price too (not sure they'd be looking to sign 2 SP's, but they could build a heck of a rotation to go with that young, cheap offense of theirs).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
Lets just think about this. The Tigers traded Avi for Iglesias. The Red Sox did not get anyone from the Tigers. The Red Sox wanted Peavy. So bottom line, yes, the White Sox could have had Jose but they preferred Avi and that is why they were able to get a 3rd team involved to get the headliner that they wanted.

I remember that trade thread. Everybody was upset because everyone thought it was Iglesias the Sox got. Before that I had posted wanting the Sox to get Iglesias because the reports on his gloves was he's magical. I was like woah ! I actually called a trade, but turns out it was Avi instead.