Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
I was made fun of for how many times I said I wanted Grandal. Ugh.

Wasn't made fun of, but the two catchers I wanted to acquire most in the past year were Grandal and Jakson Reetz.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 20m20 minutes ago

On value of sandwich pick -- observer thinks 31-40 in 2016 may not yield an impact player but could produce an evday MLBer. Better than '15.

Worth noting, definitely interesting to think about.

Is there any doubt that the "observer"'s paycheck is signed by Jerry Reinsdorf?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 20m20 minutes ago

On value of sandwich pick -- observer thinks 31-40 in 2016 may not yield an impact player but could produce an evday MLBer. Better than '15.

Worth noting, definitely interesting to think about.

It should be lower than 31 as guys will give up first rounders to sign guys.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
The #Astros also had Jeff Samardzija on their radar, but couldn't afford to wait for #WhiteSox to decide on a course of action.

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/624275652238266368

Stupid front office thinking they could win when we knew it was over

I don't think it's about winning this year, but within the next 2. Nottingham doesn't really fit in that 2 year plan.

The biggest issue that I have had with the Sox through this whole process was that they waited to see if they could get back into it. This is from Fangraphs earlier today:

"You have to go all the way back to the 1998 Twins (-4.7) to find a worse group of position players by WAR and those Twins have about 3,000 plate appearances on the 2015 White Sox. Only the 1998 Twins, 1963 Mets, 1977 Braves, and 1979 A’s have had lower position player WAR than this year’s White Sox. And only the 1979 A’s, at -9.7 WAR, are far enough ahead (behind?) to feel comfortable the White Sox won’t catch them come October."

When you are the 5th worst team since 1963, there is no "wait and see" approach at that point. You're a seller.

Edited by oneofthemikes

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 06:53 PM)
The #Astros also had Jeff Samardzija on their radar, but couldn't afford to wait for #WhiteSox to decide on a course of action.

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/624275652238266368

Stupid front office thinking they could win when we knew it was over

An organization that thought it had the bodies to win didn't even have the balls to fire Robin. That was the ONLY chance at seeing if this team had a WC run in it, which it didn't. So why no trades by now???

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 08:24 PM)
An organization that thought it had the bodies to win didn't even have the balls to fire Robin. That was the ONLY chance at seeing if this team had a WC run in it, which it didn't. So why no trades by now???

it needs to include more than rv....

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 10m10 minutes ago

The #Astros engaged in talks with #Whitesox about Jeff Samardzija before acquiring Kazmir from #Athletics, sources say.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 9m9 minutes ago

One source said it came down to #Astros and #Athletics being a "better fit'' more than #Whitesox being indecisive to deal.

I'm also hearing #WhiteSox are active in trade talks even though they haven't thrown up the white flag publicly.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 8m8 minutes ago

#WhiteSox think they can still get a significant haul for Samardzija at deadline. #BlueJays among several clubs interested.

I would love Hoffman for Shark. Then I'd turn around and deal Q for position talent, including Puig. Dodgers have plenty of position talent that is a match and could help retool the team (yes we take a hit in the rotation) but the front office has to be true and fair to themselves and realize we don't have other components without trading one of our guys that we can get multiple chips for (and Sale / Q are basically the only other guys, with the potential exception of Abreu, who I suppose you could move, although I hand't thought about it and given we already don't have position players don't know that it really makes sense).

Interesting tidbits from Jerry Crasnik via twitter.

1. I'm also hearing #WhiteSox are active in trade talks even though they haven't thrown up the white flag publicly.

2.#WhiteSox think they can still get a significant haul for Samardzija at deadline. #BlueJays among several clubs interested.

He also said the Astros & Rays just fit better to make a deal, didn't have anything to do with Hahn/Williams being indecisive.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
Who would be an ideal return from the BlueJays? What about Pentecost since they need a C? Hoffman worries me, since he's already had a TJ surgery.

If Hoffman worries you, Pentecost should worry you as well because he hasn't played all year because of shoulder surgery.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 10m10 minutes ago

The #Astros engaged in talks with #Whitesox about Jeff Samardzija before acquiring Kazmir from #Athletics, sources say.

One source said it came down to #Astros and #Athletics being a "better fit'' more than #Whitesox being indecisive to deal.

I'm also hearing #WhiteSox are active in trade talks even though they haven't thrown up the white flag publicly.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 8m8 minutes ago

#WhiteSox think they can still get a significant haul for Samardzija at deadline. #BlueJays among several clubs interested.

Damage control.