Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
I think the Sox could sweeten the pot by adding Adam LaRoche and cash. Right now, Toronto's 1B is Justin Smoak. If the Sox pick up some of the tab on the Adam LaRoche contract, I think the Blue Jays might bite, thinking that LaRoche is due to "play to the back of his baseball card."

interesting...... very interesting and thinking outside the box.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)
I think the Sox could sweeten the pot by adding Adam LaRoche and cash. Right now, Toronto's 1B is Justin Smoak. If the Sox pick up some of the tab on the Adam LaRoche contract, I think the Blue Jays might bite, thinking that LaRoche is due to "play to the back of his baseball card."

Problem is that Smoak is putting up better numbers than LaRoche.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 8m8 minutes ago

Sources: #WhiteSox in “listening mode.” Samardzija most likely to go; only potential free agent of significance. Team also could add.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 9m9 minutes ago

#WhiteSox will not tear down, trade Sale, etc. Did not simply put club together for 2015. View season as first of at least 3-year window.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
The problem there is they still would have ended up trading for veterans (since the youngsters were still 1-2 seasons away) and/or been forced to deal Quintana and Montas.

Unless they signed Morales, Volquez/Brett Anderson/Chris Young and Nelson Cruz, they'd still be far underwater this year. Or traded for Josh Donaldson.

:o

and if you remember, i believe you at the beginning and i at the end had a huge rant on this whole subject. esp about the pitching and not finishing the job. how many thought hector and Rodon will be the fix all..... etc..... i know i really pissed of many a good people who still harboring evil thoughts on me. :lol:

but most of what we were arguing became fact. i for one would wish i was totally wrong and some one could even tell many months later, i had my head up my arse.

this yr fa group is not enticing. i hope i am wrong.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:50 PM)
I think the team will make some moves in the next 10 days but honestly I don't think you'll be seeing changes to the coaching staff or manager this off season.

Right or wrong the Sox are a very loyal organization. JR, Kenny, Hahn are all in Robin's corner. Now he may resign, there's always that chance but from what I'm hearing he will not be fired.

Mark

I think Robin will step down and resign at the end of the season (unless things turn around). I don't ever see him managing another team.

If the Sox can get Shark to agree to an extension, I can see them parting ways with Q at the deadline. They would be able to fill in gaps receiving more in a Q trade and still have an above average rotation going into next season. It also increases the number of potential buyers that would be interested though trading Q may make more sense to do in December.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
I think Robin will step down and resign at the end of the season (unless things turn around). I don't ever see him managing another team.

ref 1,.... i hope

ref 2...... you are right about that one.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 04:01 PM)
If the Sox can get Shark to agree to an extension, I can see them parting ways with Q at the deadline. They would be able to fill in gaps receiving more in a Q trade and still have an above average rotation going into next season. It also increases the number of potential buyers that would be interested though trading Q may make more sense to do in December.

as much as i like the idea, the sox are still on line for 2 lousy contracts. Danks and Adam L. some 30+ millions dollars. for to start the new season.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
as much as i like the idea, the sox are still on line for 2 lousy contracts. Danks and Adam L. some 30+ millions dollars. for to start the new season.

LaRoche isn't really a bad contract. He'll be in his walk year next year and I still bet on him coming around this year and have relatively respectable numbers, slightly below his 3 year trend. And at that price, I think you could move him (if not early in the season, by the deadline a team would be looking for a vet bat to add). I don't think the LaRoche / Danks contract, at this point, are reasons you don't sign Shark (given that both are done a year from now).

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)

Both of them are out the door after the 2016 season.

The Sox just have to pay them for the rest of this year and next year and then they'll have a lot more financial flexibility after that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
LaRoche isn't really a bad contract. He'll be in his walk year next year and I still bet on him coming around this year and have relatively respectable numbers, slightly below his 3 year trend. And at that price, I think you could move him (if not early in the season, by the deadline a team would be looking for a vet bat to add). I don't think the LaRoche / Danks contract, at this point, are reasons you don't sign Shark (given that both are done a year from now).

ESPECIALLY IF THEY STOP STARTING HIM AGAINST LEFTIES!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:28 AM)
Problem is that Smoak is putting up better numbers than LaRoche.

That maybe the case right now, but imagine if LaRoche had little more protection behind him rather than Avi or whomever we had hitting behind him he might get to better pitch selection, hence better protection. Batting in that line of Blue Jays I think anyone would improve their production.

It's not that the sox are encumbered with bad contracts per se ...none of them are huge anchors, like, say the Rangers have.

But there is an opportunity cost...and this is the alleged "3 year window", they brought in 2 aging FAs to play offense and both are terrible. They traded 4 young players fora 1 year rent. They still need a corner OF and a 3B....but they have 2 corner OF. They going to get a 3rd corner OF?

So what's the next move? Chase it by trading good prospects?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 05:18 PM)
Both of them are out the door after the 2016 season.

The Sox just have to pay them for the rest of this year and next year and then they'll have a lot more financial flexibility after that.

oh, i agree with what you are saying.

i am trying to beat the fo to the punch by stating, the sox have invested in contracts that might be unmovable and the org does not have the financial flexibility to venture to far into the fa b/c of that.

something to that effect.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
i totally disagree with your assessment for only 1 reason. we as fans would not know what would have been different had the sox not stop dealing.

now coming back to it some 6-7 months later, no know knows what was left on the table.

so i see this org having to start brand new in any dealing. can't look back on the what if.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/adam-laroche

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 11:01 AM)

I don't know, I'd much rather have Q long term than Shark.

I think there will be some teams interested in LaRoche. IMO, his problems this year are tied to facing too much LHP (should really be platooned), DHing rather than playing 1B (some guys can't handle the adjustment), & to a lesser extent inconsistent playing time by being forced to the bench when we play in NL parks. I think there's a useful player still there, and other GMs would probably be willing to give up a halfway decent prospect for him if he came with some financial relief. You definitely won't get anything of value if you force a team to take on his full salary.

Regardless, LaRoche is a guy we should definitely try to move. Would much rather rotate the DH spot between Avi & Melky next year and open up RF for a significant upgrade defensively than go with a pure DH.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
I think there will be some teams interested in LaRoche. IMO, his problems this year are tied to facing too much LHP (should really be platooned), DHing rather than playing 1B (some guys can't handle the adjustment), & to a lesser extent inconsistent playing time by being forced to the bench when we play in NL parks. I think there's a useful player still there, and other GMs would probably be willing to give up a halfway decent prospect for him if he came with some financial relief. You definitely won't get anything of value if you force a team to take on his full salary.

Regardless, LaRoche is a guy we should definitely try to move. Would much rather rotate the DH spot between Avi & Melky next year and open up RF for a significant upgrade defensively than go with a pure DH.

One problem I'm now noticing...who would play 1b? Abreu looks like he's about to fall apart right now and that's after 5 days off. I don't exactly care about losing more games, but seriously who plays 1b for the next few games/if Abreu goes on the DL and LaRoche is shipped out?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
One problem I'm now noticing...who would play 1b? Abreu looks like he's about to fall apart right now and that's after 5 days off. I don't exactly care about losing more games, but seriously who plays 1b for the next few games/if Abreu goes on the DL and LaRoche is shipped out?

I am sure Davidson could play first base if they really got in a pickle.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)

Gillaspie.. oh wait