Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 10:27 PM)
Well if they weren't going to trade him by tomorrow, there really is no rush.

Best player available.

Nothing wrong with stockpiling young pitching...can move it for young hitting as well. Sox don't have that much pitching anyway. In fact, now that Montas is called up, they don't have a top prospect pitcher anywhere near the majors (I'm discounting E Johnson; his stats are so good, that to have not been called up tells me they don't think he can beat major league hitting).

No reason to trade him ASAP. Take it to the deadline. Let the bidding get hot.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 11:15 PM)
No reason to trade him ASAP. Take it to the deadline. Let the bidding get hot.

Well there were 15 scouts at his start where he thee a complete game shutout against a (the?) top hitting team. May not get more heated than that.

I also suspect that between now and the deadline, there will be a greater supply of pitchers on the market than there are now.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
Well there were 15 scouts at his start where he thee a complete game shutout against a (the?) top hitting team. May not get more heated than that.

I also suspect that between now and the deadline, there will be a greater supply of pitchers on the market than there are now.

Yes there will be more sellers . The Tigers might decide to sell David Price .There's still Hamels, Cueto, Mike Leake, or any Oakland starter since you never know what Oakland will do. Padres may decide James Shields is movable . Craig Kimbrel and Aroldis Chapman or Jay Bruce might also become available. Rumors are already flying about Justin Upton and Carlos Gonzalez.

It's not only starting pitchers that will dilute the market for Shark but any trade that brings players back the Sox are interested in.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)
Yes there will be more sellers . The Tigers might decide to sell David Price .There's still Hamels, Cueto, Mike Leake, or any Oakland starter since you never know what Oakland will do. Padres may decide James Shields is movable . Craig Kimbrel and Aroldis Chapman or Jay Bruce might also become available. Rumors are already flying about Justin Upton and Carlos Gonzalez.

It's not only starting pitchers that will dilute the market for Shark but any trade that brings players back the Sox are interested in.

i am sooo divided on this. the sox should decide whether they will trade shark, if Yes, then do it sooner. jump on the other team with a very good pitcher and pick up pieces the team need. if not, do what is necessary to make this run for the playoff.

but i guess the sox org did make a mention sometime this week about that. oh well i am going to cheer for the sox to make this run.

Per Rosenthal:

One rival executive says he expects the White Sox to make a big offer to right-hander Jeff Samardzija in an attempt to keep the team's starting pitching intact long term.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
Per Rosenthal:

One rival executive says he expects the White Sox to make a big offer to right-hander Jeff Samardzija in an attempt to keep the team's starting pitching intact long term.

interesting..... i like it.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 07:36 AM)
Per Rosenthal:

I'm fine with that also, but I would rather move him and sign him in the offseason though.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:00 AM)

Aside from what I have all said in this thread, that's another reason to trade Samardzija. The Sox desperately need hitters throughout the organization and trading Samardzija can help with that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:06 AM)
Aside from what I have all said in this thread, that's another reason to trade Samardzija. The Sox desperately need hitters throughout the organization and trading Samardzija can help with that.

Certainly agree.

I'm not sure why the Sox liked Samardzija so much in the first place. He's not really a ground ball pitcher, which they (rightly) prefer.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:15 AM)
Certainly agree.

I'm not sure why the Sox liked Samardzija so much in the first place. He's not really a ground ball pitcher, which they (rightly) prefer.

I know what you mean as there were a handful of board members that were against the idea when it was just a rumor last November.

I give the Sox credit for making a go of it but things just have not worked out and its time to move on.

Hopefully Houston is willing to part with a few of their young hitters as it seems they have the most to offer in terms of the Sox needs.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 06:23 AM)
I know what you mean as there were a handful of board members that were against the idea when it was just a rumor last November.

I give the Sox credit for making a go of it but things just have not worked out and its time to move on.

Hopefully Houston is willing to part with a few of their young hitters as it seems they have the most to offer in terms of the Sox needs.

Houston is also rumored to be looking for a 1st baseman. Maybe LaRoche wouldn't be better than what they have now but maybe the Astros might like the idea of getting a veteran leader to help the young guys down the stretch. Shark and the Rock both to Houston.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
Houston is also rumored to be looking for a 1st baseman. Maybe LaRoche wouldn't be better than what they have now but maybe the Astros might like the idea of getting a veteran leader to help the young guys down the stretch. Shark and the Rock both to Houston.

I read about that too. The only problem is would Houston be willing to take on the combined remaining salaries which comes to around 10M the rest of the season. They should have the space for it, but I'm not their GM either. Would make the rumor mill even more interesting.

Per Rosenthal:

Sounds like a Mark Buehrle situation where they find a trade for him, and then put a contract in front of him and give him the choice. That being said, I like it. There is no way we win a bidding war for him, so get what you can for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
Sounds like a Mark Buehrle situation where they find a trade for him, and then put a contract in front of him and give him the choice. That being said, I like it. There is no way we win a bidding war for him, so get what you can for him.

I agree with this. Trade him by the deadline, or resign him now and have that rotation be really good next year.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
I'd like to see him traded first and then possibly brought back in the off-season.

that too would not be a bad option. but i can see the sox making a bold move like, this and say, if it failed, we tried to sign him and he said no. we as an org at that point needed to think about the future.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)

excellent point and i agree.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)

that would be sweet, but i think hou would want to sox to take back some salary of some sort.

what do you think??

Per Rosenthal:

I look at this and see a few different outcomes.

#1- The White Sox do indeed sign him long term in attempt to ride this season out and make a wildcard push. If they go this route, I really do see them dealing away Quintana this winter. He can most likely bring more back in a trade than Samardzija and the one way to acquire offensive help would be to trade away pitching. I HIGHLY doubt they will go the free agent route this winter. (They NEED to maintain draft picks)

#2- They are saying they plan on extending him in an attempt to increase his value even more as teams will definitely get into a bidding war close to the deadline. Steve Stone currently believes they can get a team's #3 prospect for him or multiple prospects who are younger.

Things sure will get interesting within the next few weeks. I believe this home stand will be pivotal in determining the team's direction. Personally, I hope they find a way to acquire a few top prospects before the deadline. They need to fill that 3b, 2b and C spot badly.