Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 07:50 PM)
Stats for Andy Burns:

2015: .277/.338/.360

Career Minors: .268/.344/.432

Burns is thought of as a utility infielder.

Pentecost hasn't returned since shoulder surgery this February.

Hoffman and Pentecost and its a deal. But I would not trade Shark for Pentecost in a 1 for 1 trade and whomever we get as the 2nd piece should have upside and in fact, should be the better of the two prospects, imo. Catchers are high risk prospects add in the injury and even higher risk. I just don't see that package working. Maybe no one offers what I want but I think we can get more (Shark..keep pitching your ass off to help that cause too).

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:04 AM)
Hoffman could become an ace as soon as post 2016 all-star break. Max Pentecost has the bat to start in 2017, despite the surgery. But he may not have the arm to stick at catcher if the surgeries aren't as successful as hoped.

I also don't realistically see Max as the guy Hahn gets as a primary piece for the sheer fact that his timetable doesn't jive an ultimate plan to contend sooner vs. later. Right or wrong, we could argue all we want, but Sox intend to give it a go next year with a retooled club and that means if you move Shark, you get back at least one piece you think helps you next year (and potentially even helps you this year if you think you have some semblance). Max is great as the 2nd guy and if he is the 2nd guy, I am happy with the trade.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 11:00 PM)
I also don't realistically see Max as the guy Hahn gets as a primary piece for the sheer fact that his timetable doesn't jive an ultimate plan to contend sooner vs. later. Right or wrong, we could argue all we want, but Sox intend to give it a go next year with a retooled club and that means if you move Shark, you get back at least one piece you think helps you next year (and potentially even helps you this year if you think you have some semblance). Max is great as the 2nd guy and if he is the 2nd guy, I am happy with the trade.

i agree in some respect that what ever we, the fans thinks, it will be way different that what the sox FO is thinking, i am thinking, :o as thoughts goes, to be cautiously optimistic when talking and figuring out Pentcost.

i like the idea of Hoffman and Foley if they, Tor wants a rp plus another prospect returning.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
Hope not. Off injury, terrible year, free agent in 2017.

Wait... What? He's 29, under control for 2 1/2 more years on a 5 year $12M deal & would be the best Sox C since early AJ. If Shark could ultimately net him, why not?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)
So you wouldn't swap Samardzija for Lucroy?

That's not realistic. Brewers don't need Samardzija.

Lucroy has an OPS of .631 this year, coming off of an injury.

They won't let him go for anywhere near a .631 value, and I, not a hero worshiper, don't like paying for past production.

I like the way Flowers is working with these pitchers- framing and such.

I was mistaken - it's 2.5 more years.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:44 PM)
That's not realistic. Brewers don't need Samardzija.

Lucroy has an OBP of .631 this year.

They won't let him go for a .631 value, and I, not a hero worshiper, don't like paying for past production.

I like the way Flowers is working with these pitchers- framing and such.

I was mistaken - it's 2.5 more years.

Holy F***.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 07:45 PM)
Holy F***.

yes, it's OPS.

Put another way, if I liked Lucroy and wanted to replace the catcher, yes that would be a beneficial deal for the Sox to replace a 1/2 year rent of Shark with 2.5 of Lucroy. That more than accommodates a necessary discount for his terrible year. But the Brewers wouldn't sell him for that discounted price. They would want current year totally ignored.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
The Max Pentecost discussion arises from the fact that the Sox have no catching depth in their system. There are only a handful of real catching prospects available now, and Pentecost is highly rated and possibly available in trade.

Texas has MLB pipeline's #1 catching prospect, Jorge Alfaro. But after Texas' recent skid, I don't think they are going to go off the deep end for the Shark.

The Cub has Schwarber (MLB Pipeline #2), and he's not going anywhere.

Tampa Bay has Justin O'Conner (#3), and Tampa Bay isn't going to sell their future for a 3-month rental.

Same for Pittsburgh and Reese McGuire (#4).

Hence Toronto and Max Pentecost.

The Yankees have Gary Sanchez (#6), but MLB Pipeline suggests that he may need an attitude adjustment.

Colorado isn't buying; they're selling, so Tom Murphy (#7) won't be available.

Washington doesn't need pitching, so #8 catching prospect Jackson Reetz will continue to hone his skills in short-season Auburn.

#9 Austin Barnes in the Dodgers organization is intriguing, and he may be available in a trade.

#10 Chase Vallot plays in the Kansas City system, and I don't think Samardzija is going there in a trade.

There are other catchers out there, Andrew Susac from the Giants could be a possibility. He's temporarily blocked by Buster Posey. But the Giants have been giving Posey playing time at 1B, and giving Susac playing time with the big league club. So a trade with San Francisco might not be possible.

That leaves trades with Toronto for Hoffman and Pentecost, the Yankees for Sanchez and Jagilelo, or the Dodgers for Barnes and fill-in-the-blank if the White Sox want to get a catching prospect included in a return package for Samardzija.

Great post. As for Sanchez...I think that attitude adjustment has more to do with a need for a change of scenery. Seems he's been a top prospect forever always waiting behind somebody the Yankees bring in...

I get the feeling the Sox payroll has not hampered the team's bottom line at all this season and the Sox are comfortable keeping all the players they acquired. I get a gut feeling the front office thinks 5.5 out of the wild card chase is close enough to keep the team together. During their all-star break meetings, I can see the front office and Robin pointing to the exceptional starting pitching they've been getting and improved defense and them saying, "If we keep up this recent rate of winning we will get the wild card. Let's stay on course and make no changes." Makes too much sense to me.

I would prefer dealing Shark immediately and seeing how the team does with Johnson as his replacement. But don't you all agree with me the Sox have made a business decision to stay with the same players and see if the team can grab a wildcard even though they are in last place in their own division?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
I get the feeling the Sox payroll has not hampered the team's bottom line at all this season and the Sox are comfortable keeping all the players they acquired. I get a gut feeling the front office thinks 5.5 out of the wild card chase is close enough to keep the team together. During their all-star break meetings, I can see the front office and Robin pointing to the exceptional starting pitching they've been getting and improved defense and them saying, "If we keep up this recent rate of winning we will get the wild card. Let's stay on course and make no changes." Makes too much sense to me.

I would prefer dealing Shark immediately and seeing how the team does with Johnson as his replacement. But don't you all agree with me the Sox have made a business decision to stay with the same players and see if the team can grab a wildcard even though they are in last place in their own division?

The 5.5. means nothing. On July 4th they were 5.5 games out of wildcard. Since then they are 7-3 and are still 5.5 out of wildcard. Because there are teams ( 6 at this point) between them and the 2nd wildcard, it makes the difference more like 13-15 games back not 5. 5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)

I think they'll hold for at least another week. If they keep winning like this it will be hard for them to really be in last place next week, they'd even have a shot at .500 and from there you're at least out of the pit. If the Royals and Cardinals give them a bloody nose this week and they take a step back down in the records, they might hold for a better offer but I don't think they'll seriously entertain the idea that they can hold onto Samardzija.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 05:21 PM)
I still like dealing with Astros, if they'll give up some of their good guys.

I'd take Appel, whom they seem to be tiring of, for Shark.

Coop could straighten him out.

I would be very disappointed if the centerpiece for Shark is a pitcher. They have to start getting some hitters in here.

As we see this year, what good is having a rotation of 4 good-great starting pitchers is you can't score runs.

I agree with Balta. Give it a week. There really is no rush rush right now.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 09:51 PM)
I would be very disappointed if the centerpiece for Shark is a pitcher. They have to start getting some hitters in here.

As we see this year, what good is having a rotation of 4 good-great starting pitchers is you can't score runs.

I agree with Balta. Give it a week. There really is no rush rush right now.

Well if they weren't going to trade him by tomorrow, there really is no rush.

Best player available.

Nothing wrong with stockpiling young pitching...can move it for young hitting as well. Sox don't have that much pitching anyway. In fact, now that Montas is called up, they don't have a top prospect pitcher anywhere near the majors (I'm discounting E Johnson; his stats are so good, that to have not been called up tells me they don't think he can beat major league hitting).

Edited by GreenSox