Tulo to the Jays

Bigsoxhurt35

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 12:01 AM)
Not saying we are going to do that, just thinking what the Rockies will want to try and do (get a SS prospect)

I haven't read the following pages after this post yet, but the Rockies have a some real top prospects at SS. Also don't see Reyes sticking there because of this.

So it's Tulowitzi with 5 years and $100 million remaining and LaTroy Hawkins to Toronto. I actually like the package that Colorado received and I'll like it more if they can flip Reyes for more prospects. I've always loved Jeff Hoffman. Miguel Castro may be a bullpen piece but he's got a great arm and Jesus Tinoco is anther high upside young arm. The Rockies should trade CarGo and Blackmon next.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
Kind of a weird trade for Toronto there. Gave up too much for something they didnt need.

Rock whats the latest man... Think Shark makes the start tonight? If they hold him any chance they use Q to get a proven MLB bat like Puig or someone?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
This really tempers my excitement about dealing with the Jays. Reid-Foley and Pentecost are still there, but would the Jays really unload that many good prospects in the same week? The smaller their supply, the less likely they would be to agree to overpay, which is what it may take to pry Shark on a surging Sox club.

I agree the Jays without Hoffman not that attractive now.

Like this deal a lot for the Rockies. Reyes, at least by and large, plays (vs. Tulo) and while his contract is also expensive they got some good prospects (I love Hoffman's upside). I wonder if the Sox would like at Reyes. He's old and will be on the decline, but, he'd be an overall upgrade at shortstop and I presume the Rockies aren't interested in paying Reyes. Wonder if their could be a deal their that made sense without the Sox having to give up much (and potentially even getting some cash).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
The more money you are willing to pick up, the fewer prospects you will be required to give up.

True, but that money pick up was muted by sending Reyes, who, with his salary (around the same as Tulo's although for fewer years), had negative value.

This was a steal for Toronto I think.

Rodon >>>>>>> than Hoffman for goodness sakes.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
True, but that money pick up was muted by sending Reyes, who, with his salary (around the same as Tulo's although for fewer years), had negative value.

This was a steal for Toronto I think.

Rodon >>>>>>> than Hoffman for goodness sakes.

It's an extra $50 million, plus a $2 million trade kicker, plus the trade then triggers a full no trade clause. The White Sox don't have a $20 million guy on the payroll to offset it like Toronto did, and at the same position.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
Like this deal a lot for the Rockies. Reyes, at least by and large, plays (vs. Tulo) and while his contract is also expensive they got some good prospects (I love Hoffman's upside). I wonder if the Sox would like at Reyes. He's old and will be on the decline, but, he'd be an overall upgrade at shortstop and I presume the Rockies aren't interested in paying Reyes. Wonder if their could be a deal their that made sense without the Sox having to give up much (and potentially even getting some cash).

Reyes is an absolute BUTCHER at SS at this point in his career. No thanks.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)

He definitely was against the White Sox, but his season totals aren't that bad. Tulo is only a 1.5 WAR guy so far this year. This is going to turn out really great for TOR or really bad.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
It's an extra $50 million, plus a $2 million trade kicker, plus the trade then triggers a full no trade clause. The White Sox don't have a $20 million guy on the payroll to offset it like Toronto did, and at the same position.

True, but the way I see it, had they not sent Reyes, they would have had to send even less in prospects....and they didn't even send a top 50, while also getting that salary relief by dumping Reyes on them.

People here wanted Hoffman + for 1/2 year of Shark. Well the Jays sent Hoffman + for Troy T, with net additional salary of only $54 mill through 2020.

This is a steal.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)

I can't call him an absolute butcher. His season splits aren't near as bad. I also am not opposed to seeing him play 3B. Yeah yeah, he's never played their before, but he was a shortstop, dude has an arm and can figure out 3B with time and probably be pretty damn good over their.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 09:01 AM)
True, but the way I see it, had they not sent Reyes, they would have had to send even less in prospects....and they didn't even send a top 50, while also getting that salary relief by dumping Reyes on them.

People here wanted Hoffman + for 1/2 year of Shark. Well the Jays sent Hoffman + for Troy T, with net additional salary of only $54 mill through 2020.

This is a steal.

If I were the Jays, I'd rather have gotten Shark for Hoffman. They need pitching. I think AA totally screwed upon on this one. Tulo is a stud when healthy but dude is never healthy so to give up all that and take on payroll, etc, awful. And if Reyes is that negative, then we should be able to get him for a total steal.

Reyes, who is not the picture of health himself, got off to a pretty slow start. He's been pretty solid for the last 3 months or so.

Either way, one has to love this deal for the Rockies. Ditching the payroll and getting back a useful piece and a top prospect is pretty good work.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
Reyes, who is not the picture of health himself, got off to a pretty slow start. He's been pretty solid for the last 3 months or so.

Either way, one has to love this deal for the Rockies. Ditching the payroll and getting back a useful piece and a top prospect is pretty good work.

Yep. The Rockies are never going to attract FA pitching talent, so they necessarily have to develop guys internally. Gray and Hoffman give them two pretty interesting young arms. Dumping Tulo's money makes it easier for them to pay Arenado down the road as well.

The only sportswriter who really likes this deal for Toronto is Tracy Ringolsby, who, ironically, wrote for the Rocky Mountain News for a long, long time.

Don't count out Tinoco, either. In their minds Colorado, got a cost-controlled frontline starter and potential ace in Hoffman, a future closer in Castro (basically the equivalent of Frankie Montas) and another intriguing arm in Tinoco with big stuff. Considering they just wiped out almost $50 million in salary commitments and SHOULD be able to dump Reyes on someone who gets desperate for an experienced SS in the next month (waiver claim), it's win-win. As someone noted they have two top SS prospects in their pipeline, one in AAA and one just recently drafted.

Tinoco is a very savvy addition to this trade for the Rockies. He’s much further away than Hoffman or Castro, but his stuff is similar as he has the potential to have two above-average or better pitches and he has a clean delivery with some remaining projection. Tinoco has what what one scout described as an idea pitcher’s frame at 6-foot-4, and a few pounds more than his listed 190. He pitches off a 92-97 mph fastball that comes out of the hand easy with very little noticeable effort. He has shown the ability to maintain 94-95 mph deep into games recently. His slider gives him a second above-average pitch as he has demonstrated the ability to locate it in the zone or bury it when he gets ahead in the count. His changeup isn’t as developed but he’ll flash an average offering every now and then.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/trad...ove-tulowitzki/

Edited by caulfield12

They gave a top 100 prospect (not top 50) and a couple of other interesting pitching prospects and got to dump Reyes' contract in return for Tulo.

Those interesting pitching prospects are the type we gave for, oh, say the rent of the mediocre Brett Myers in 2012.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
They gave a top 100 prospect (not top 50) and a couple of other interesting pitching prospects and got to dump Reyes' contract in return for Tulo.

Those interesting pitching prospects are the type we gave for, oh, say the rent of the mediocre Brett Myers in 2012.

Hoffman has a chance to be a top 10 type prospect in a year if he stays healthy.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
Caulfield's Deadline 2015: Battle of the Beat Writers

LOL.

You're well on your way to a future in the business.

Try not to be so prickly, ala Chris Rongey.

The best quality of a sportswriter is someone who invites you into a conversation, shares knowledge and insight and does it in a way that makes you feel uplifted and not insulted or condescended to, for example, the way Joe Posnanski writes, addressing everyday life topicality as it intersects and sometimes collides with the economics of modern day sports.

He never writes to shock, insult or draw page views...

Try listening to Vin Scully doing Dodger games.

Edited by caulfield12