2015-2016 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
LOL Chisoxfn, come on, Rose ain't getting you a recent #4 overall pick. Rose for nick young maybe.

I'm not saying the Lakers would do it, but honestly, you haven't heard anything until you come out to LA land and listen to their hot takes on the Lakers and Russell for that matter. A lot of people, including educated analysts, are writing him off as a bust. Lakers fans are desperate and the org is a hot mess.

I think any deal would have to involve additional pieces (clearly) and I think their is no reality to it, but I never thought you could deal Rose and his contract for an asset (as Lowe alludes is possible).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
Pretty sure that would be salary cap impossible.

They could actually pretty easily pull a trade together with a varying degree of pieces (between two teams). Lakers have a ton of flexibility in terms of contracts that could be moved to make numbers work. For example, Bulls could trade Rose and picks for Hibbert & Russell. Trade easily fits under the current cap structure. In no way, shape or form am I necessarily saying that deal works for Lakers. But you could add other parts / components, such as Rose, Snell, Niko and picks for Hibbert, Russell and Swaggy P.

Bulls save significant cap space going forward and get an asset in Russell (they also get stuck with Young...but in the right system he could be a solid enough fit off the bench). Of course for any truth to this deal to be possible, the Lakers need to be pretty desperate for a higher profile move (and be pretty sour on Russell) and the Bulls need to be ready to be done with Rose as well as still optimistic in Russel. Could even be that the Lakers view Mirotic and Snell as other solid pieces as they attempt to collect additional assets.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Actually yes, I think he could be.

Can you give me an idea of what that starting 5 might look like?

You can pick anyone from the NBA too.

The best I can come up with is replacing Carroll with Butler on the Hawks last year (would give them 5 all stars) and I still don't see them winning a championship.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
Can you give me an idea of what that starting 5 might look like?

You can pick anyone from the NBA too.

The best I can come up with is replacing Carroll with Butler on the Hawks last year (would give them 5 all stars) and I still don't see them winning a championship.

What about the Spurs?

Put Butler on their team and they're still a championship contender and he's their best player to boot.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
What about the Spurs?

Put Butler on their team and they're still a championship contender and he's their best player to boot.

Lmao, no. Butler is a poor mans Kawhi Leonard, and the Spurs have Kawhi Leonard

PPG / APG / RPG / PER / FG% / 3PT% / FT%

Butler - 21.5 / 3.3 / 5.0 / 20.83 /.450 /.326 /.823

Leonard - 21.1 / 2.7 / 7.4 / 27.53 /.510 /.472 /.879

Leonard might be slightly better, but I don't think it's as outrageous of a difference between them as you guys are saying.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 09:09 PM)
PPG / APG / RPG / PER / FG% / 3PT% / FT%

Butler - 21.5 / 3.3 / 5.0 / 20.83 /.450 /.326 /.823

Leonard - 21.1 / 2.7 / 7.4 / 27.53 /.510 /.472 /.879

Leonard might be slightly better, but I don't think it's as outrageous of a difference between them as you guys are saying.

The efficiency difference is just insane. Also, as good as Butler is defensively Leonard is still easily better. Look at what he did to Paul George last night.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 09:11 PM)
The efficiency difference is just insane. Also, as good as Butler is defensively Leonard is still easily better. Look at what he did to Paul George last night.

How exactly is PER measured? Sorry for the noob question. I'm much more knowledgable in baseball to be honest, but I do enjoy basketball too.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
Instead of piling on, why not just answer the question he asked a post above you?

I'm no mathematician, i never mentioned anything about per and I couldn't break it down. All I know is Leonard has been a far better player on a far better team for his career, and when I read about Leonard functioning within the Spurs he gets nothing but high praise.

Butler had a great year last year and has done nothing but improve since he got into the NBA, but Leonard is next level when I watch them play, he knows his role on his team and excels within his team.

But thanks for calling me to the carpet, you can explain per if you would like to.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)
How exactly is PER measured? Sorry for the noob question. I'm much more knowledgable in baseball to be honest, but I do enjoy basketball too.

There's a Wikipedia page dedicated to PER that explains it much better than I can. Even looking at those percentages you can see the difference though.

Then if you go deeper and look at even more advanced stats, there's really nothing that points Butlers way. Butler is a very good player. All star level. Leonard would probably finish second in MVP voting right now though. Just different levels.