Micah Johnson back at AAA, expected call up in Sept

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
If the Sox weren't going to bring back Alexei, they would have traded him already. No reason to do otherwise.

Win this year? I'd say that was reason enough.

Sanchez has all but earned the title of starting 2B for the Chicago White Sox for 2016. I can't see any reason to bench him to try Johnson out there again. Sanchez is playing at an AllStar level arguably. Let's not f*** with one of the few bright spots.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)
Win this year? I'd say that was reason enough.

Sanchez has all but earned the title of starting 2B for the Chicago White Sox for 2016. I can't see any reason to bench him to try Johnson out there again. Sanchez is playing at an AllStar level arguably. Let's not f*** with one of the few bright spots.

He could still be traded now. But he is still here. Unless we are willing to offer him a QO, which we obviously won't do because we hold an option for about $6 million less than the QO, we won't get any compensation for him when he leaves.

If we aren't picking up his option, there is literally no reason for him to be here. Get used to it. Alexei will be here next year.

I have been pleased with Saladino but surprised people have him pegged as the future. Saladino should be considered a "holdover" 3rd base. He's younger and we can feel good about his defense and decent power stroke (compared to the zero I expected), but the guy is hitting .239/.269/.600...that is something we can upgrade over. I'd feel fine with trying Sanchez at SS and hope he is our eduardo escobar twins-era, micah at 2nd base and saladino as hopefully our utility player.

Wait, people are seriously saying the Sox should pick up Ramirez' option? That's just crazy talk. He'd be lucky to get a 1 year deal at 6 million on the open market let alone 10 million. 35 year old SS coming off a negative WAR season, come on folks. The vast majority of his value is tied up his defense and there is absolutely zero reason to believe he's suddenly going to pick it up again at 35. Check his defensive metrics this is the 5th straight year of decline and this year he fell off a cliff he's 2 runs above average. That's not even close to good enough with his bat.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 11:03 PM)
Wait, people are seriously saying the Sox should pick up Ramirez' option? That's just crazy talk. He'd be lucky to get a 1 year deal at 6 million on the open market let alone 10 million. 35 year old SS coming off a negative WAR season, come on folks. The vast majority of his value is tied up his defense and there is absolutely zero reason to believe he's suddenly going to pick it up again at 35. Check his defensive metrics this is the 5th straight year of decline and this year he fell off a cliff he's 2 runs above average. That's not even close to good enough with his bat.

Yup. It's time to move on from him.

It isn't a matter of should or should not. It is a matter of will or won't. The fact that Alexei is still here is a very clear indication that he will be our SS in 2016.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
It isn't a matter of should or should not. It is a matter of will or won't. The fact that Alexei is still here is a very clear indication that he will be our SS in 2016.

I agree with this. They may deal him in the offseason but I think they pick up the option for sure.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
I agree with this. They may deal him in the offseason but I think they pick up the option for sure.

I don't think that anyone would actually trade for him at a $10 million price in the offseason when there are other options available that were equally weak this year but are 1/2 that price.

Maybe, maybe someone would do so if their SS got hurt late in the winter or during ST and they had no other backup option and were a team that could absorb a payroll hit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 09:14 AM)
I don't think that anyone would actually trade for him at a $10 million price in the offseason when there are other options available that were equally weak this year but are 1/2 that price.

Maybe, maybe someone would do so if their SS got hurt late in the winter or during ST and they had no other backup option and were a team that could absorb a payroll hit.

You may be right. Don't you think the fact that he's here is a clear indication that they'll pick up the option though?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
You may be right. Don't you think the fact that he's here is a clear indication that they'll pick up the option though?

Yes. I think that is fully consistent with the decisions the White Sox have made in recent years.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
Call him up when he is out of rehab.

Release Beckham and Alexei. Or do a waiver deal for Alexei.

Matt Albers too....no reason to hang onto him and he should net a decent prospect.

Sanchez at short.

One month of Matt Albers should net a decent prospect?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)

That would be outrageous. More hero-worshiping. More sentimentality from an overly sentimental organization. Cubs have their goats; Sox have their slightly above average players they turn into heroes.

If they want him back, decline the option then sign him. Or trade him now, even better.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:08 AM)
So you are saying one month of Matt Albers SHOULD net a decent prospect. Thanks. I disagree.

If you can get pretty much anything at all for Albers, you take it. Odds are it will be the same sort of C level diamond in the rough we have been accumulating for some of our other similar deadline deals. At the end of the day it boils down to the Clintonian version of it depends on what your definition of "decent" is. You guys can argue that part out all you want.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
If you can get pretty much anything at all for Albers, you take it. Odds are it will be the same sort of C level diamond in the rough we have been accumulating for some of our other similar deadline deals. At the end of the day it boils down to the Clintonian version of it depends on what your definition of "decent" is. You guys can argue that part out all you want.

I don't even think you would get a C level prospect for him. It is one month of Matt Albers. If they trade him, fine, but unless you want to go to a top 100 list, the player they get back, if they could even get one back, probably wouldn't make the White Sox top 100.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
I don't even think you would get a C level prospect for him. It is one month of Matt Albers. If they trade him, fine, but unless you want to go to a top 100 list, the player they get back, if they could even get one back, probably wouldn't make the White Sox top 100.

That is what we got back for a month of Gordon Beckham last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
That is what we got back for a month of Gordon Beckham last year.

I don't think he was really C level at the time, and he's done OK, but I wouldn't refer to him as a decent prospect. Saying the White Sox should get a decent prospect for one month of Matt Albers is just not accurate. It would be a fantastic trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
I don't think he was really C level at the time, and he's done OK, but I wouldn't refer to him as a decent prospect. Saying the White Sox should get a decent prospect for one month of Matt Albers is just not accurate. It would be a fantastic trade.

Like I said earlier, I will leave the Clintonian definition work to you. I think it is obvious what was meant, but whatever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
Like I said earlier, I will leave the Clintonian definition work to you. I think it is obvious what was meant, but whatever.

You can use a political reference all you want, should implies if you don't you failed. If the Sox traded one month of Albers for a crappy prospect who never made it out of A ball, I doubt anyone would say the trade was bad.

If they player they received for him was released in spring training, I really have doubts you would back anyone complaining about the return.

Should and could are very different.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
What's the downside?

Decent relative to waiver wire trades.

I don't see downside. I just don't agree he should net a decent prospect. Maybe he could net a decent prospect. He also may net a guy we never hear from after 2 weeks of spring training. I wouldn't hold KW or RH accountable if the prospect for Matt Albers didn't work out.

I don't know the market for Ramirez so if the White Sox are convinced he won't be able to match his contract for 2016 on the open market, then, obviously, you don't pick up the option. The White Sox have to be careful here though; Ramirez hasn't had a good year, but what is the alternative for next season? Is Tim Anderson ready? What are the other alternatives? They already have massive offensive holes at 3B, SS (including Ramirez who hasn't played well) 2B, RF, DH and C. I think they need to consider bringing him back for next season, especially if they don't have an in-house alternative.