My FA/realistic trade targets for this offeason

TheFutureIsNear

Was just going through rosters and the free agent list and decided to share my thoughts on the most realistic options for the Sox to target this off season. Feel free to post more guys you would like to see us REALISTICALLY target, or just who you like the most out of my list.

INF FA-

Ben Zobrist

Howie Kendrick

Daniel Murphy

OF FA-

Dexter Fowler

Gerardo Para

Colby Rasmus

FA SP-

Bud Norris

Dillon Gee

Ian Kennedy

FA RP-

Tommy Hunter

Bobby Parnell

Antonio Bastardo

James Russell

Trade Targets

Todd Frazier

Andre Eithier

Scott Van Slyke

Marcell Ozuna

Derek Dietrich

David Peralta

Wilin Rosario

Danny Valencia

Derek Norris

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 09:05 PM)
Was just going through rosters and the free agent list and decided to share my thoughts on the most realistic options for the Sox to target this off season. Feel free to post more guys you would like to see us REALISTICALLY target, or just who you like the most out of my list.

INF FA-

Ben Zobrist

Howie Kendrick

Daniel Murphy

OF FA-

Dexter Fowler

Gerardo Para

Colby Rasmus

FA SP-

Bud Norris

Dillon Gee

Ian Kennedy

FA RP-

Tommy Hunter

Bobby Parnell

Antonio Bastardo

James Russell

Trade Targets

Todd Frazier

Andre Eithier

Scott Van Slyke

Marcell Ozuna

Derek Dietrich

David Peralta

Wilin Rosario

Danny Valencia

Derek Norris

For my ultra cheap, but compete plan, give me Murphy, Rasmus/Fowler and Frazier.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
For my ultra cheap, but compete plan, give me Murphy, Rasmus/Fowler and Frazier.

Not sure if you're being serious with "ultra-cheap"?

Edit: Murphy, for example, MLB Trade Rumors guy suggested will get a QO and Chase Headley money. And that's before his playoff antics tonight. Rasmus, I assume, will get at least Melky's contract. Fowler similar. Frazier ends up being probably around $20 mil for the 2 years plus several prospects in the trade.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 05:24 AM)
Yeah, word is he's going to get a QO from the Mets. Which is crazy to me... He's got a decent bat for sure but he is a butcher on defense. It seems like he's going to get a 3-4 year deal worth 12-14 AAV. That's pretty steep for his past performance.

I've said it already but I like Steve Pearce a lot. He's a good case for a guy who could hit 15 HRs and have good rates if used correctly. It's so hard to even guess stuff with the Sox because they have so many different places they could use improvements but Pearce could DH/1B/LF and even 2B!!!!: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/steve-pearc...ng-second-base/. He's a cheap option for thump.

well i was going to post this after the playoff, but i can seem to pry myself from this site for a couple of weeks as i hoped for a rest, so here goes.

it is now time for circling the wagons and hoping that the sox will do something great. i have hope in this and i will let the results show itself. after the playoff, a lot of things will happen with the baseballs execs and i for 1 will be excited. yeah i am among the biggest gripers on the sox management, but this is like a new time to do it right.....

can't wait.

there are some really interesting fa's on the marketed and this is going to be like a nice mystery book to read. who will be signed and hopefully by the sox.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 05:24 AM)
Yeah, word is he's going to get a QO from the Mets. Which is crazy to me... He's got a decent bat for sure but he is a butcher on defense. It seems like he's going to get a 3-4 year deal worth 12-14 AAV. That's pretty steep for his past performance.

I've said it already but I like Steve Pearce a lot. He's a good case for a guy who could hit 15 HRs and have good rates if used correctly. It's so hard to even guess stuff with the Sox because they have so many different places they could use improvements but Pearce could DH/1B/LF and even 2B!!!!: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/steve-pearc...ng-second-base/. He's a cheap option for thump.

i think it is a great move. if he doesn't sign a draft pick. if he does, trade bait. if not, then the mets really don't have a 3b in the wings, and in the minors, they are 2 ss prospects that may be ready, one can be converted to 2b.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 10:44 PM)
Not sure if you're being serious with "ultra-cheap"?

Edit: Murphy, for example, MLB Trade Rumors guy suggested will get a QO and Chase Headley money. And that's before his playoff antics tonight. Rasmus, I assume, will get at least Melky's contract. Fowler similar. Frazier ends up being probably around $20 mil for the 2 years plus several prospects in the trade.

Frazier will cost a couple of mid level prospects at most and shores up a position the league is thin on. I want whoever is cheaper between Fowler and Rasmus. I think that will be Fowler and I don't think either will be as expensive as you think. I could be wrong. Murphy is the one I fear will be the most expensive. Lastly, by cheap, I mean in comparison to what the major players are going to get like Heyward possibly at 175million.

Murphy, Fowler and Frazier would be much better use of those resources.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 04:34 AM)
Frazier will cost a couple of mid level prospects at most and shores up a position the league is thin on. I want whoever is cheaper between Fowler and Rasmus. I think that will be Fowler and I don't think either will be as expensive as you think. I could be wrong. Murphy is the one I fear will be the most expensive. Lastly, by cheap, I mean in comparison to what the major players are going to get like Heyward possibly at 175million.

Murphy, Fowler and Frazier would be much better use of those resources.

i have been thinking of Rasmus the last couple of days.... i was just wondering....

does any still think the issue with his father is still prevalent?? would it be a problem??

next i read on mlb trade on a discussion of Rasmus interview and how the rebounded nicely this yr. of course i am paraphrasing the article ....

basing on that article, can he flourish on the sox team??

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
i have been thinking of Rasmus the last couple of days.... i was just wondering....

does any still think the issue with his father is still prevalent?? would it be a problem??

next i read on mlb trade on a discussion of Rasmus interview and how the rebounded nicely this yr. of course i am paraphrasing the article ....

basing on that article, can he flourish on the sox team??

Anyone who doesn't listen to the Sox hitting coaches is cool with me!

;) ;)

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 11:24 PM)

Keith Law said that the Mets are not going to offer him QO

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 03:53 AM)
Can the Sox get Frazier without giving up Quintana or Rodon?

Both of those guys are worth significantly more than Frazier. If the Sox do go after Todd, it better for be minor leaguers. I'd actually be ok with a package like Montas, Micah (if the Sox seem Sanchez as our 2B), & Guerrero. I think we can afford to trade some minor league pitching as long as we hold onto Fulmer & Adams and as I mentioned Micah could be blocked. I don't think that deal would have gotten it done a few years ago, but it today's environment where prospects are coveted it just might work. Still risky given Frazier is only under control for 2 years and the upside of us guys involved on our end.

Keep an eye on the Rangers as a potential trade partner. Their system is loaded with position players and their major league team is pretty set in stone over the next few years. I could see the Sox swinging a trade where they send Q for Mazara, Profar/Brinson, and Ortiz.

Todd Frazier and his 2nd half c .650 OPS and bad defense? Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Sox load up the prospects for him. I mean he almost won home run derby!

That the Sox can't figure out a use for Micah just shows the lack of creativity and the limits of this organization. Same with Phegley last year.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 07:46 AM)
He is actually a pretty good defender.

That's what the metrics say. But I don't trust defensive metrics. The jump around from year to year. I get that for offense, obciously, but not defense. Lacks range. 2 years left on the deal.

I fully expect the Sox to pile up some imperfect prospects to get a guy like him, just like they did last year. And somehow the team will find a way to get output out of those guys while the Sox can't. Sox didn't get any better when they dumped Micah from second. Coopers pitcher stats got better. The team didn't.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)

That's what the metrics say. But I don't trust defensive metrics. The jump around from year to year. I get that for offense, obciously, but not defense. Lacks range. 2 years left on the deal.

I fully expect the Sox to pile up some imperfect prospects to get a guy like him, just like they did last year. And somehow the team will find a way to get output out of those guys while the Sox can't. Sox didn't get any better when they dumped Micah from second. Coopers pitcher stats got better. The team didn't.

They jump around, but he's been positive with them the last 3 years. Eventually, he will probably be bad, but to say he is a bad defender now isn't accurate.

He has been over a 4 WAR player the last couple of years. The contract isn't a problem. Extending him reasonably might, but IMO, the problem is he is going to cost a lot to get. I think some of the suggestions of his cost are more than a bit low. It seems we are in an era where if you have an average 3B and average C, you are ahead of most.

Edited by Dick Allen