State of the White Sox Address a Position

rowand's rowdies

This is one I'm really interested in hearing about. What's your philosophy on bullpens?

Do you like what the Cubs did? Load up on failed starters & failed closers plus a couple strong arms?

Are the Royals and Giants of the past few years the golden standard?

Who would you KEEP on our current roster in our bullpen? Who would you call up or at least give a shot to win a spot?

We don't need to hear why you don't want to keep someone - it's obvious - they suck in your opinion.

What would Robertson bring in a trade? Could we ever unload Duke without eating most of the $ left?

Robertson, Jones, Duke, Petricka are fine. We need a strong 2nd lefty to use before the 8th and we also need to add 1 reliable vet righty. But really I'm not too worried about the pen overall. I'd like to see guys like Yona, Turner, Beck, and possibly even Montas compete for a spot in spring too

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

Sign Cespedes.

That's it.

DO NOT trade any pitchers...DFA LaRoche and eat the $. It's not like it's Bobby Bonilla... Cut him, move on. I want to see what Avi can do surrounded with a healthy Eaton and Cespedes. I think....he'd be good.

DH Melky.

That's it.

Simple...Work hard - Be ready in April.

Our pitching is fantastic. Sale, Q, Rodon, (who cares - fight to the death...), Johnson.

A move for an SP would be ok as long as all of our existing SPs are safe. Get rid of Micah. And Danks.

Edited by Ballz-n-Strikes

The bullpen is an oddity, it can be good one year and rotten the next, see Seattle for example.

My theory is always keep it fresh.

What would I do.

I would keep Robertson as the Closer and use Nate Jones and Jake Petricka as the Set up men.

I would use Zach Duke as the lefty and bring in another left in Free Agency and start Dan Jennings in AAA (back up).

I would use Montas and Putnam to fill the other 2 slots. Montas and Putnam can be used in losing situations and Montas if we need a long man. (Webb can stay in AAA with Carroll and Jennings which gives us some flexibility if there are injuries).

Overall the pen isn't too bad, a good lefty would round it out nicely as I think we were missing that at points last year.

QUOTE (glangon @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 03:44 AM)
The bullpen is an oddity, it can be good one year and rotten the next, see Seattle for example.

My theory is always keep it fresh.

What would I do.

I would keep Robertson as the Closer and use Nate Jones and Jake Petricka as the Set up men.

I would use Zach Duke as the lefty and bring in another left in Free Agency and start Dan Jennings in AAA (back up).

I would use Montas and Putnam to fill the other 2 slots. Montas and Putnam can be used in losing situations and Montas if we need a long man. (Webb can stay in AAA with Carroll and Jennings which gives us some flexibility if there are injuries).

Overall the pen isn't too bad, a good lefty would round it out nicely as I think we were missing that at points last year.

Jennings was terrific in the 2nd half. I see no reason to send him down as he should be trusted over Duke going forward. Personally I would not touch the pen other than resigning Albers. I think it's fine. If you could get rid of Duke I would do that, but I don't think that's feasible.

C- Robertson

SU- Jones

SU- Petricka

LHP- Jennings

LHP- Duke

RHP- Putnam/Albers

Long: Turner

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 10:08 AM)
I know it will contrary to popular belief, but if we don't get a decent one year number for Albers, I am OK with letting him walk and finding the next project to put out there.

I'm good with that because pen arms can be fickle year to year.

I'm for trading Robertson to the Nationals, who are in a win-now mode and really need a closer. Drew Storen has all but ended his stay there with his late season meltdown against the Mets and self-inflicted hand injury. Papelbon choked the FRANCHISE player in the dugout at the end of the year, and is certainly going to be unloaded.

By dumping Robertson, the Sox open the closer role for Jones and/or Montas, who will both increase their value as a result.

And Robertson himself should bring back something of value, since he's locked up on a contract that Washington can easily handle for the next 3 years.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
I'm for trading Robertson to the Nationals, who are in a win-now mode and really need a closer. Drew Storen has all but ended his stay there with his late season meltdown against the Mets and self-inflicted hand injury. Papelbon choked the FRANCHISE player in the dugout at the end of the year, and is certainly going to be unloaded.

By dumping Robertson, the Sox open the closer role for Jones and/or Montas, who will both increase their value as a result.

And Robertson himself should bring back something of value, since he's locked up on a contract that Washington can easily handle for the next 3 years.

I'd be fine with this.

Also fine just standing pat. I feel our bullpen largely underachieved.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb...ny-joe-girardi/

I've posted this before but Robin is actually decent at managing the pen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that stat is simply looking leverage and ignoring all other bullpen management aspects. Second, wouldn't having a high paid closer who pitched very well in high leverage situations completely skew that stat? Not to be a dick, but I'm not sure that stat really proves anything. Again, correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding of the metric.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 01:16 AM)
I'm good with this pen as is. Only thing I'd do is add a power arm if possible.

Sox need a power bullpen. Move Danks to the pen as the loogy. Robertson is an OK closer. Let Nate try to be the Sox version of Herrera until he fails, which I believe he will. Sox need gas in the bullpen. There's no reason to trot guys out there like Duke and Petricka and Webb who we know simply can't cut it.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 06:27 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that stat is simply looking leverage and ignoring all other bullpen management aspects. Second, wouldn't having a high paid closer who pitched very well in high leverage situations completely skew that stat? Not to be a dick, but I'm not sure that stat really proves anything. Again, correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding of the metric.

I'm not sure a high-salary closer would skew it that much, and the talent of the individual pitchers is ignored. It's just to measure whether the manager used his pitchers in the right spots. Whether his best guy was Wade Davis or Fernando Rodney doesn't matter. It's whether he tended to use that guy when the game was most on the line, or when the matchups were the most favorable, and so on down the depth chart.

It's not useless but it is definitely not conclusive either. It doesn't know whether a guy was unavailable because of illness or rest, but I would think that evens out across the league. More importantly, it specifically doesn't address if a manager lifted his starter at the right time, which is one area where I think Robin is more open to criticism.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 06:43 AM)
1. I don't know why I'm going down this road 2. I don't even know why I'm in PHT to begin with, but....

You want a power bullpen and your first move is moving Danks to the pen?

Just to face one lefty batter or two in a row.