White Sox still deciding on what to do

Whisox05

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
Thanks for letting know SouthSideSale.

I find it difficult to believe the Sox are merely looking to upgrade 3B. They have something up their sleeves. ;)

I still like a CarGo trade and Lawrie. Think those are our two most realistic outcomes.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 08:27 PM)
Q is a much better pitcher than Miller, I think a 1:1 swap would be pretty close. Would love Pollock.

I too would love Pollack, but if his value is really that high I'll pass on 1:1 just because of how many holes we need to fill. Trading Q for just 1 hitter would be a failure in my book. If we could get 2 of Peralta/Inciatre and Lamb/Drury I'd be pretty happy though. 1 of each seems to be expendable for the Dbacks with no DH and a need for their expensive investment Tomas to get on the field. Dbacks have a few other interesting guys that seem expendable to them as well. I'm hoping we can get a deal done with them.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
I still like a CarGo trade and Lawrie. Think those are our two most realistic outcomes.

Same here and I've been against a trade for CarGo since last winter but if he can be had for a reasonable price, I'll take that left handed power bat in the Sox lineup. He and Lawrie would give the lineup a nice boost. Hopefully the Sox can get both.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 09:07 PM)
I too would love Pollack, but if his value is really that high I'll pass on 1:1 just because of how many holes we need to fill. Trading Q for just 1 hitter would be a failure in my book. If we could get 2 of Peralta/Inciatre and Lamb/Drury I'd be pretty happy though. 1 of each seems to be expendable for the Dbacks with no DH and a need for their expensive investment Tomas to get on the field. Dbacks have a few other interesting guys that seem expendable to them as well. I'm hoping we can get a deal done with them.

I sort of agree, but the main piece needs to be an impact bat. If Q is dealt, it's going to be a big trade.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 07:27 PM)
Q is a much better pitcher than Miller, I think a 1:1 swap would be pretty close. Would love Pollock.

Arizona wouldn't give up Pollock for Miller. Pollock put up a 6.6 fWAR last season. He's young and extremely cheap. DBacks should keep him with Peralta and Goldschmidt going forward.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 04:30 AM)
Arizona wouldn't give up Pollock for Miller. Pollock put up a 6.6 fWAR last season. He's young and extremely cheap. DBacks should keep him with Peralta and Goldschmidt going forward.

i really never considered Arz as a trade partner, well b/c they have a young nucleus of players that will be able to slid into the lineup. i just didn't think they will trade them away.

i guess they will, if the price is right. they need a really good SP.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 10:30 PM)

Oh I agree they arent trading him. I think it's asinine the Braves even asked for him.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
not until they decide what to do with laroche contract.

Even if they have to absorb the total cost of that contract, they have to replace his bat, or they are not going to have a winning season. I sure hope that the front office is not going to make a move contingent upon being able to find a taker for LaRoche.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
Even if they have to absorb the total cost of that contract, they have to replace his bat, or they are not going to have a winning season. I sure hope that the front office is not going to make a move contingent upon being able to find a taker for LaRoche.

No way that makes sense. We'll get your clean-up bat and probably keep laroche.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)

at least we agree on that.

so the org answer should be the first priority is to rid themselves of dead contract and then to find a cleanup hitter.

then i would have responded that the first step is to find a 3b, then a cat and then a dh.

the class of fa in 2016-2017 is looking pretty darn good.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)

They will likely not have a winning season even with replacing his bat. So no reason to eat money just for the sake of it.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
They will likely not have a winning season even with replacing his bat. So no reason to eat money just for the sake of it.

To be fair, I don't think the Sox having a winning season with this current roster is that out of the question. We won 76 games in 2015. Replace 6 losses with 6 wins and we would have had a winning season. It's not that far-fetched. We're capable of having one with or without LaRoche on the roster.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
To be fair, I don't think the Sox having a winning season with this current roster is that out of the question. We won 76 games in 2015. Replace 6 losses with 6 wins and we would have had a winning season. It's not that far-fetched. We're capable of having one with or without LaRoche on the roster.

mostly a lot of posters and the FO had high hopes. winning 80 games is really feasible esp with some key replacement. that abysmal start to the season set the tone.

wow, nothing, i am absolutely nothing went right.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)

Maybe, but I see the other teams in the division getting stronger too, with holes at SS and 3B right now, not sure how this team makes much improvement unless you have a ton of faith in Erik Johnson and Alex Avila. If the idea is to move Sanchez to SS and bring Johnson into 2B you are making your pathetic defense even worse and devaluing the strength of this roster. Without some bold moves I think the team will be lucky to make 76 wins next season.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:37 PM)
Maybe, but I see the other teams in the division getting stronger too, with holes at SS and 3B right now, not sure how this team makes much improvement unless you have a ton of faith in Erik Johnson and Alex Avila. If the idea is to move Sanchez to SS and bring Johnson into 2B you are making your pathetic defense even worse and devaluing the strength of this roster. Without some bold moves I think the team will be lucky to make 76 wins next season.

without sounding snarky, but the gm meeting hasn't even started.... lets wait for 2 weeks or so before spring training.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
without sounding snarky, but the gm meeting hasn't even started.... lets wait for 2 weeks or so before spring training.

I understand. But if we are looking at this team as constructed I don't think it makes much of a difference in what goes on with LaRoche. If the Sox get active next week, then maybe they can pay someone to take him off their hands if he ends up blocking someone with a better opportunity to produce.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)

GM Meetings were at the beginning of November. You're thinking of the Winter Meetings that are coming up next week.

I think Hahn is a smart guy but I'm at the point where I really don't know what the plan is for the Sox right now. I can't tell if they truly want to add pieces to try and contend this year or if they're quietly going to rebuild without really saying they're rebuilding. Right now this team is in Baseball hell. Not good enough to contend but not really trying to rebuild either. It's frustrating.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 06:32 AM)
I think Hahn is a smart guy but I'm at the point where I really don't know what the plan is for the Sox right now. I can't tell if they truly want to add pieces to try and contend this year or if they're quietly going to rebuild without really saying they're rebuilding. Right now this team is in Baseball hell. Not good enough to contend but not really trying to rebuild either. It's frustrating.

excellent and that is how i feel.