White Sox decline to tender Tyler Flowers and Jacob Turner

Baron

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)
Zero reason to non tender Avi. He's only going to make $2.5 million or so and has an option left. You don' t give up his potential for so little money.

There are several reasons to non-tender Avi, but in the context of the Flowers non-tender it's more confusing, as at least Flowers has shown he can provide *some* value, at a position where FA/trade talent is way more scarce. I've written hundreds of words elsewhere on the issues I have with Avi's "potential" so I won't get into that.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)
There are several reasons to non-tender Avi, but in the context of the Flowers non-tender it's more confusing, as at least Flowers has shown he can provide *some* value, at a position where FA/trade talent is way more scarce. I've written hundreds of words elsewhere on the issues I have with Avi's "potential" so I won't get into that.

I agree so hard with this.

Obviously early, but worth noting that the White Sox's plan so far to address the awful 2015 season has been to jettison the catching unit which was arguably middle-to-top-half-of-MLB in terms of value (depending how you feel about framing) and yet to touch 2B, 3B or corner OF which were amongst the league's worst.

I'll probably feel more comfortable when the bigger picture is revealed, but it's not quite the way I would have approached things.

#WhiteSox GM Rick Hahn on Flowers: "This move was done as part of a plan." Replacement move coming

https://twitter.com/scotgregor/status/672215543924027392

Rick Hahn said this is part of a plan, #WhiteSox hope to add another catcher in coming days.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/672216684095238146

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)
Obviously early, but worth noting that the White Sox's plan so far to address the awful 2015 season has been to jettison the catching unit which was arguably middle-to-top-half-of-MLB in terms of value (depending how you feel about framing) and yet to touch 2B, 3B or corner OF which were amongst the league's worst.

I'll probably feel more comfortable when the bigger picture is revealed, but it's not quite the way I would have approached things.

Keep in mind the catching market has moved faster than the other markets so far. So getting something done now seems to be what they had to do.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)

Of course you told all of us last season Flowers wouldn't hit .200, and reminded us of that when you bumped your post when he dipped below. Now it makes no sense to you that he gets non tendered and the White Sox upgrade their offense.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)
Daryl Van SchouwenVerified account

‏@CST_soxvan

Hahn on Flowers: "We saw opportunity to improve club from offensive standpoint. This move done as part of a plan."

A plan!!!

We're no longer deciding on what to do!!!

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)
#WhiteSox GM Rick Hahn on Flowers: "This move was done as part of a plan." Replacement move coming

https://twitter.com/scotgregor/status/672215543924027392

Rick Hahn said this is part of a plan, #WhiteSox hope to add another catcher in coming days.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/672216684095238146

Ah yes, the 3 year plan

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)
I just don't see Dioner being THAT much better than Flowers. If they dumped Flowers I would imagine there's a bigger offensive acquisition incoming via trade.

That's my hope too. Young, good potential...that sort of thing. Sox aren't winning anything in 2016, so set up for 2017-2019 as best they can.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:01 PM)
That's my hope too. Young, good potential...that sort of thing. Sox aren't winning anything in 2016, so set up for 2017-2019 as best they can.

Good...when are we trading Sale,Q and Abreu?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
Of course you told all of us last season Flowers wouldn't hit .200, and reminded us of that when you bumped your post when he dipped below. Now it makes no sense to you that he gets non tendered and the White Sox upgrade their offense.

I know it doesn't make sense in your world where you have to rigidly stick to your original opinion, but people are allowed to change their minds as new information comes out. I have been convinced by the arguments of the pitch framing advocates, and thus changed my mind as to the value of players like Flowers. I'm not saying I'm completely devastated he's been non-tendered, just that I probably wouldn't have done it (admittedly saying this before I've seen the replacement plan), or, if I did do it, would have non-tendered Avi as well.