White Sox decline to tender Tyler Flowers and Jacob Turner

Baron

Looks like I'm late to the " WOW " party. Like others, I am surprised! Now I'm beyond curious as to who the hell Hahn is bringing back. I agree with those that say Navarro. Or could Hahn have an un-announced trade in place?

Edited by BlackSox13

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I don't get, what is point of non-tendering now vs. waiting until the extra catcher is actually added? Would seem like we lose leverage by doing this now. Very surprised at the move and interested to see who it is. Presume Navarro but if you are going to make a statement like that and that you have someone else coming, well...why haven't they already been inked.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
One thing I don't get, what is point of non-tendering now vs. waiting until the extra catcher is actually added? Would seem like we lose leverage by doing this now. Very surprised at the move and interested to see who it is. Presume Navarro but if you are going to make a statement like that and that you have someone else coming, well...why haven't they already been inked.

Today was the deadline to non tender. From what it sounds like, they already have his replacement. Probably some minor things to work out before it is officially announced.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 05:21 PM)
Today was the deadline to non tender. From what it sounds like, they already have his replacement. Probably some minor things to work out before it is officially announced.

True...I'm just surprised they made that bold of a statement before something was done. My theory is nothing is done until it is done.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:21 PM)
Jason Castro would be surprising, purely because you'd suspect they'd be looking for a right handed bat. That said, he's been a long term target of Hahn and maybe Hanh learned from Kenny in the sense that Kenny always got his guy.

That's who I was thinking of

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)
Fwiw, Navarra has rated as one of MLB's worst framers in the last couple of years.

Flowers framing was ignored by you when you had his batting average on your mind, now it is the most important thing around. I liked his framing as much as anyone, but cmon man. It is Tyler Flowers. No one wanted to take him off Hahns hands for a 25 year old A ballet.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:21 PM)
Jason Castro would be surprising, purely because you'd suspect they'd be looking for a right handed bat. That said, he's been a long term target of Hahn and maybe Hanh learned from Kenny in the sense that Kenny always got his guy.

Problem is that castro is a free agent after this season. So he's only a year rental unless they lock him up but still hasnt lived up to potential.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

I would like to add my WOW to the chorus of WOWs.

Statcorner keeps track of the pitch framing statistics for catchers. Tyler Flowers was #2 in MLB behind Pittsburgh's Francisco Cervelli. Before Alex Avila got hurt, he was in the middle of the pack with respect to pitch framing. Dioner Navarro is at or near the bottom of the list throughout pretty much his whole career.

You can check their caught-stealing statistics on Baseball-Reference.com. Flowers, Avila, and Navarro have all been around league average.

Anyone for Jonathan LuCroy? It's the off-season, when fans can dream!