White Sox decline to tender Tyler Flowers and Jacob Turner

Baron

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)
Flowers framing was ignored by you when you had his batting average on your mind, now it is the most important thing around. I liked his framing as much as anyone, but cmon man. It is Tyler Flowers. No one wanted to take him off Hahns hands for a 25 year old A ballet.

I've pretty much already addressed this in my previous comment, so I'll just link it up again.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:05 PM)
I know it doesn't make sense in your world where you have to rigidly stick to your original opinion, but people are allowed to change their minds as new information comes out. I have been convinced by the arguments of the pitch framing advocates, and thus changed my mind as to the value of players like Flowers. I'm not saying I'm completely devastated he's been non-tendered, just that I probably wouldn't have done it (admittedly saying this before I've seen the replacement plan), or, if I did do it, would have non-tendered Avi as well.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
I've pretty much already addressed this in my previous comment, so I'll just link it up again.

New information didn't come out. Flowers was known as a good framer when you were complaining about him. You just "change your mind" because the White Sox dumped him. A chronic whiner, now complaining Tyler Flowers is gone.

In the last 2 days people have complained the White Sox are selling an organ for charity instead of having it in a glass case at a ballpark they don't go to, and now the guy who rides Flowers is complaining they let him go.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 05:26 PM)
Flowers framing was ignored by you when you had his batting average on your mind, now it is the most important thing around. I liked his framing as much as anyone, but cmon man. It is Tyler Flowers. No one wanted to take him off Hahns hands for a 25 year old A ballet.

You touted his pitch framing more than anyone on here and always seemed like Flowers biggest supporter. You never seem to pick any side of the fence to stand on. Keep playing both sides of the fence ,Dick !

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:03 PM)
You touted his pitch framing more than anyone on here and always seemed like Flowers biggest supporter. You never seem to pick any side of the fence to stand on. Keep playing both sides of the fence ,Dick !

This is textbook DA, he's a bonafide troll.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:03 PM)

I did. I also mentioned as much in this thread. But it is Tyler Flowers. He isn't the worst player in the world, but it isn't like his loss is going to cost the team titles. I have been pointing out Flowers wasn't the biggest problem on the White Sox. He does have his positives. Not playing both sides of the fence at all. I just don't froth at the mouth saying so and so is the worst all the time. They think they have an upgrade, fine by me.

If Feeky was running the team, he wouldn't have non tendered Flowers. He would have already been gone.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...;show=&st=0

Edited by Dick Allen

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/sortable...php?cid=1819098

According to WARP (Baseball Prospectus WAR), which incorporates pitch framing, Flowers was worth two WARP last year and ranked 21st in total defensive value in the MLB among all position players. This is my first time getting a look at this stat though, don't know how it compares to rWAR or fWAR.

Kind of surprised by this. I kind of liked the idea of a Flower/Avila platoon on paper. Others have beat me to it, but Lucroy is the catcher that instantly popped into my head as a potential trade target. I wonder if Milwaukee would be willing to trade him after the disaster of a season they had this year. Navarro is a slight offensive upgrade over Flowers, but he seems like a stopgap type of player for a position the Sox have zero depth at.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:24 PM)
Likely prediction.

I don't want to sound like Bernstein and make baseless rumors based on "sources" But hearing through my buddy that the main sticking point to this deal going through is that the Brewers want Anderson. I guess we will all find out soon enough

QUOTE (lord chas @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:31 PM)
I don't want to sound like Bernstein and make baseless rumors based on "sources" But hearing through my buddy that the main sticking point to this deal going through is that the Brewers want Anderson. I guess we will all find out soon enough

That would be stupid of us to give up Anderson

Edited by BigHurt3515