White Sox decline to tender Tyler Flowers and Jacob Turner

Baron

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already a few minutes into the podcast and there's a few issues I can point out.

1. They are probably overblowing how much "help" Chris Sale needs in regards to pitch framing.

2. There are most definitely young catching prospects available. That doesnt mean they'll be cheap.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 09:44 PM)
That's some irrational emotion right there. It's freakin Tyler Flowers, and obviously something else is coming.

It's dumb. They are acting like there is no one else available but him or the few free agents they mentioned(plus the guys on our roster for some reason).

Second they keep asking what is Rick Hahn thinking because of pitch framing blah blah. Well I have a pretty good idea. Probably went something like this " His offense and defensive ability are liabilities(blocking balls and throwing out runners)...maybe we can get X player and improve in those two areas. Yeah we may lose some of the pitch framing value. But the overall lineup will be better. What a novel concept.

Also Tyler Flowers may signal a rebuild? Huh?

Edited by Baron

Dan Hayes

‏@CSNHayes

Right after Tyler Flowers was non-tendered, scout: "He should tell them thank you. Bet he gets more than his arb raise in this market."

This is the main reason that it makes no sense. Chances are excellent that the guy they replace Flowers with is either worse or similarly bad.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 03:52 AM)
Dan Hayes

‏@CSNHayes

Right after Tyler Flowers was non-tendered, scout: "He should tell them thank you. Bet he gets more than his arb raise in this market."

This is the main reason that it makes no sense. Chances are excellent that the guy they replace Flowers with is either worse or similarly bad.

They clearly are looking for more offense from the catching position. Sounds good to me

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)
Wow, I did not see that coming. I like Navarro's bat but is the upgrade worth a potential defensive downgrade? Or am I wrong about his defensive abilities vs. Flowers?

Good point. Rick Hahn never misses a chance to make a marginal offensive improvement at the cost of defensive value, only to see that offense diminish and defense stay terrible during their tenure.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 10:04 PM)
Not too many Sox podcasts around so I posted it. Like I said, it was ridiculous. I listened but cringed at how mad they were.

Is it Aveea or AviLA? Always thought AviLA

aVEEla. His dad goes by AHveela.

Not the double L sound because it's not a double L.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 11:29 PM)
I thought Ken Rosenthal's latest article would have something about our next catcher...nope....it's about trading Chris Sale...again

National media wants him on a contender.

F 'em Rick let's grant their wish and build a frappin' contender! :lol:

I wouldn't really say Tyler Flowers has defensive value.. pitch framing metrics liked him but how much of this can be attributed to the fact that he had Sale and Quintana who have pretty spot on control throwing to him 2/5 days a week? Other than that I remember him as being clunky and bad behind the plate with a horrible arm..

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 11:02 PM)
I wouldn't really say Tyler Flowers has defensive value.. pitch framing metrics liked him but how much of this can be attributed to the fact that he had Sale and Quintana who have pretty spot on control throwing to him 2/5 days a week? Other than that I remember him as being clunky and bad behind the plate with a horrible arm..

100% agree with this.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 11:02 PM)
I'm going to throw out Plawecki. Got to think they're adding a younger catcher if they're willing to non-tender Flowers, given the uncertainty at the position for 2017 & forward. I think an Avi for Plawecki swap makes a lot of sense for both clubs.

I like your idea. Pairing a young catcher with Avila makes sense. I could see the Mets having some interest in Micah too.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 12:02 AM)

I agree. If all you can say is he's good at pitch framing then he's just not worth it. It's not like Flowers could wipe out a teams running game like Sal Perez can do.