Plans for rest of the Off Season

GGajewski18

Do the Sox have a plan? To me it's so simple.

Make the necessary trades to wind up with Frazier at 3rd, Lexi at ss, Lawrie at second and Abreu at first. Is Hahn this dense? That's a winning infield.

Then you got Melky in left (ugh, but he could have a better year I suppose), Eaton in center (we all are OK with him) and Cespedes in right (acquire him). Trayce is begging to play which is why we should dump Melky and Avi and sign Cespedes!

We have the two nobodys at catcher which is kind of a problem IMO.

And we have LaLousy at DH which is a problem.

We have GOOD pitching.

With these moves I suggest (trade minor leaguers) the Sox would be a team that finishes over .500 and competes for a division title PROBABLY.

Without these moves, this team will REEK. Does anybody truly believe the infield of Lawrie at third, Saladino at ss, Sanchez at second and Abreu at first is adequate even?? It's NOT.

Then you've got the outfield of Melky, Eaton and Avi which is unacceptable compounded with the DH problem.

FIX IT MR. HAHN. It won't take too much.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 02:18 AM)

Make the necessary trades to wind up with Frazier at 3rd, Lexi at ss, Lawrie at second and Abreu at first. Is Hahn this dense? That's a winning infield.

Then you got Melky in left (ugh, but he could have a better year I suppose), Eaton in center (we all are OK with him) and Cespedes in right (acquire him). Trayce is begging to play which is why we should dump Melky and Avi and sign Cespedes!

We have GOOD pitching.

With these moves I suggest (trade minor leaguers) the Sox would be a team that finishes over .500 and competes for a division title PROBABLY.

Without these moves, this team will REEK. Does anybody truly believe the infield of Lawrie at third, Saladino at ss, Sanchez at second and Abreu at first is adequate even?? It's NOT.

Then you've got the outfield of Melky, Eaton and Avi which is unacceptable compounded with the DH problem.

I agree with most of this, as the infield stands today, we are looking at another top ten draft pick and another season like the past 9-10. I don't think we are going to sign Cespedes or trade for Fraizer although I completely agree with your logic and the fact it makes sense I just don't think either of these guys happen. I do however bet Hahn has one or two moves left (hopefully) just by reading between the lines of his comments leaving the meetings, it's a work in progress.

After the past few seasons it's hard for anyone to legitally give this FO the benefit of the doubt but we should. I trust they are not done. Most of the baseball world loved our moves last season and we face planted. But Hahn and the scouts and FO can only go by what's on paper and track records of players when they all bomb it sucks, and we as fans lose patience and trust in these guys to right the ship.

Lastly, don't think the brain trust doesn't see the threat the Cubs bring to the pitiful attendance and TV viewership problem we already have. After the past two off seasons and last season they know the pressure is on them to fix this thing and make us a winning club again. This is not just about staying relative in this city, but we'll have a generation of Cubs fans coming with all the kids watching the Cubs be built into a dynasty if they continue to win and go deep into the playoffs. For the Whitesox to stay relevant in this city we need to WIN! The time is now for them to get this turned in the right direction. Otherwise casual fans are going to start jumping ship.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
I agree with most of this, as the infield stands today, we are looking at another top ten draft pick and another season like the past 9-10. I don't think we are going to sign Cespedes or trade for Fraizer although I completely agree with your logic and the fact it makes sense I just don't think either of these guys happen. I do however bet Hahn has one or two moves left (hopefully) just by reading between the lines of his comments leaving the meetings, it's a work in progress.

After the past few seasons it's hard for anyone to legitally give this FO the benefit of the doubt but we should. I trust they are not done. Most of the baseball world loved our moves last season and we face planted. But Hahn and the scouts and FO can only go by what's on paper and track records of players when they all bomb it sucks, and we as fans lose patience and trust in these guys to right the ship.

Lastly, don't think the brain trust doesn't see the threat the Cubs bring to the pitiful attendance and TV viewership problem we already have. After the past two off seasons and last season they know the pressure is on them to fix this thing and make us a winning club again. This is not just about staying relative in this city, but we'll have a generation of Cubs fans coming with all the kids watching the Cubs be built into a dynasty if they continue to win and go deep into the playoffs. For the Whitesox to stay relevant in this city we need to WIN! The time is now for them to get this turned in the right direction. Otherwise casual fans are going to start jumping ship.

Excellent post. I'll keep the faith we're not done, but to me it's so simple. My moves would only take shipping two good prospects and one OK one to the Reds for Frazier and spend some cashola for Cespedes. I truly think the team would be vastly improved. And who knows? Somebody might be willing to take Melky off our hands in another deal.

With the Cubs getting Heyward, the Sox may need to expand the payroll a bit and add a big piece or two for the fanbase to have any interest in this team. I know it's very early, but it's incredibly frustrating watching us hang in the middle (small moves that make us appear like we're trying). If this ownership group isn't willing to spend what it takes to make this team competitive, then we trade off valuable assets and go the rebuilding route. Watching the Cubs continue to make our beloved team less and less relevant in heart of Chicagoans is getting painful. I think over the next four weeks we should get a better sense if the organization has a real short-term direction or if they'r simply continuing to roll the dice with small-scale moves.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 02:18 AM)

We have GOOD pitching.

Good thought process and I'll address two of your points. I don't want to start off negative but, from all I have been reading I just don't see the Sox sending high prospects for two years (I believe that's his contract) of Frazier. I also can't imagine what his new contract $$$$ will be. That brings us to Cespedes who I also believe will be out of the White Sox price range.

I love your plan and would love to see it happen but, I have to wonder if it is realistic with the ownership we have?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 10:28 AM)
With the Cubs getting Heyward, the Sox may need to expand the payroll a bit and add a big piece or two for the fanbase to have any interest in this team. I know it's very early, but it's incredibly frustrating watching us hang in the middle (small moves that make us appear like we're trying). If this ownership group isn't willing to spend what it takes to make this team competitive, then we trade off valuable assets and go the rebuilding route. Watching the Cubs continue to make our beloved team less and less relevant in heart of Chicagoans is getting painful. I think over the next four weeks we should get a better sense if the organization has a real short-term direction or if they'r simply continuing to roll the dice with small-scale moves.

Agree with the frustration. The Sox continue to pay for the Danks contract ($15.8M this year) and the apparent LaRoche mistake ($13M this year), plus apparently misjudging Avi Garcia's overall ability, as well as Matt Davidson's. I tend to agree with the total rebuild idea, but this FO is deathly afraid of a precipitous drop in attendance if they go that route, which the blindly loyal Cub base never exercised as Theo went about his business.

My hope is that they figure out a trade for Frazier, spend the bucks to get either Upton or Cespedes, and then hope that team with good pitching can get them into the play-off picturein 2016, with Tim Anderson, Carson Fulmer and possibly Adam Engel ready to step into the picture in 2017, with Danks and LaRoche gone.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
Agree with the frustration. The Sox continue to pay for the Danks contract ($15.8M this year) and the apparent LaRoche mistake ($13M this year), plus apparently misjudging Avi Garcia's overall ability, as well as Matt Davidson's. I tend to agree with the total rebuild idea, but this FO is deathly afraid of a precipitous drop in attendance if they go that route, which the blindly loyal Cub base never exercised as Theo went about his business.

My hope is that they figure out a trade for Frazier, spend the bucks to get either Upton or Cespedes, and then hope that team with good pitching can get them into the play-off picturein 2016, with Tim Anderson, Carson Fulmer and possibly Adam Engel ready to step into the picture in 2017, with Danks and LaRoche gone.

Worth pondering how they have guys like Anderson left to step in after acquiring Frazier.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 03:18 AM)

We have GOOD pitching.

Your own words betray how bad of a setup this is. You trade away the top minor leaguers we have to get Frazier, then you have a $150 million-ish payroll counting Cespedes, Alexei, and taking on salary with Frazier.

So, $150 million-ish payroll, and at the same time we have several positions that are still weak, and you call that a team that "finishes over .500".

That's not "it won't take too much". That's another desperation heave. That's throwing everything we have on a last gasp, it leaves us still several holes in the roster, it leaves us zero depth if anyone gets hurt or struggles, and you yourself describe it as a team that "finishes over .500". Not "will be the class of the AL". Not "should be a major threat to win the world series". All that, and you're still at best competing with the Twins and Royals and maybe hoping we somehow stay as healthy as last year.

Until you have an organization that can support it, that can fill some of these holes on its own, you can keep desperately trying hail mary's and it'll keep working as well as it has the last 6-7 years.

Sign OF Justin Upton 6 years/128 million

Trade 1B Adam LaRoche (eat 8 million), OF Avisail Garcia, SP Frankie Montas, 2B Micah Johnson, and SP Jordan Guerrero to the Rockies for OF Carlos Gonzalez and 2B D.J Lemahieu

Trade RP Zach Putnam to the Diamondbacks for their competitive B draft pick

Lineup:

CF Adam Eaton (L)

2B DJ Lemahieu

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez (L)

RF Justin Upton

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

3B Brett Lawrie

C Alex Avila (L)/Dioner Navarro (S)

SS Tyler Saladino

Bench:

2B/SS Carlos Sanchez, OF J.B Shuck, C Alex Avila (L)/Dioner Navarro (S), 1B/3B Mike Olt

Rotation/Bullpen:

SP Chris Sale (L)

SP Jose Quintana (L)

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Erik Johnson

SP John Danks (L)

RP Jacob Turner (long man)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Zach Duke (L)

RP Nate Jones

CP David Robertson

Thoughts?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
^^^ I like that plan, but I don't understand the purpose of the Putnam trade and I really have no interest in LeMahieu.

Lemahieu could be a good #2 hitter, pretty good with the glove, still young, and cheap. Fits what the Sox are doing while improving their club. This move puts Sanchez in a utility role, spelling Saladino and LeMahieu when they need some rest.

Putnam trade is to get Kahnle on the team. Putnam doesnt throw hard and tends to leave his splitter up, especially towards end of last season. DBacks are going for it, and need some bullpen help. Figured get a draft pick for him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
Where did Trayce go?

I don't know lol. Back to AAA, or he could be traded as well.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
^^^ I like that plan, but I don't understand the purpose of the Putnam trade and I really have no interest in LeMahieu.

LeMahieu was an All-Star last year, and hit .289 on the road. He is very good defensively and appears he would be an improvement over Sanchez.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)

Trade 1B Adam LaRoche (eat 8 million), OF Avisail Garcia, SP Frankie Montas, 2B Micah Johnson, and SP Jordan Guerrero to the Rockies for OF Carlos Gonzalez and 2B D.J Lemahieu

Lineup:

CF Adam Eaton (L)

2B DJ Lemahieu

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez (L)

RF Justin Upton

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

3B Brett Lawrie

SS Tyler Saladino

Bench:

2B/SS Carlos Sanchez, OF J.B Shuck, C Alex Avila (L)/Dioner Navarro (S), 1B/3B Mike Olt

Rotation/Bullpen:

SP Chris Sale (L)

SP Jose Quintana (L)

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Erik Johnson

SP John Danks (L)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Zach Duke (L)

RP Nate Jones

CP David Robertson

Thoughts?

Rather have Cespedes than Upton, to be honest.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)

Lineup:

CF Adam Eaton (L)

2B DJ Lemahieu

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez (L)

RF Justin Upton

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

3B Brett Lawrie

SS Tyler Saladino

Bench:

Rotation/Bullpen:

SP Chris Sale (L)

SP Jose Quintana (L)

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Erik Johnson

SP John Danks (L)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Zach Duke (L)

RP Nate Jones

CP David Robertson

Thoughts?

It's a far-fetched dream, but would make us a play-off team, with a power-filled and balanced lineup, good defense throughout and keeping all of our pitching

The problem is it would put our payroll obligations up where I don't believe Uncle Jerry would approve. And therein lies the problem ...

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
Why are people moving pen arms? I'd rather keep Putnam.

i agree, but if one person who can rake in players / prospects would be Robertson, if that was the case, i would say all others are off limits.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 11:57 PM)
And why do people believe a package centered around Avi Garica, Micah Johnson and Frankie Montas is going to acquire one of the premier OF's in the game?

ummmm sometimes sox fans can over value their sox players, or they are hitting the spike eggnog too early.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what plans we have for next year... We're not going to win anything. 2017 opens our window - at the earliest. 2018 is more likely.

After being in the optimist crowd for the last decade, I've finally joined the dark side.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 07:34 PM)
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what plans we have for next year... We're not going to win anything. 2017 opens our window - at the earliest. 2018 is more likely.

After being in the optimist crowd for the last decade, I've finally joined the dark side.

Unfortunately, I agree with you. Looks like a top 5 draft pick in 2017.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
Unfortunately, I agree with you. Looks like a top 5 draft pick in 2017.

I'd say between 10-15 for a draft pick. It's just maddening because they won't spend the money for elite talent, or trade Quintana for an elite package -- so even with Lawrie (and realistically two, second/third tier options) we'll be perhaps in contention for a wild card. IF everything goes right considering our position in the standings.