Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)
This is from someone in a position to get info but I don't know if I can trust. The two numbers he threw out were 5/108 and 6/125. Take with whatever amount of salt you like. Scott Merkin told me the Sox won't go over 100 million.

If the Sox truly aren't going over 100 million, then they stand a good chance of not getting anyone. I really think Gordon is going to stay in KC if the Royals come in anywhere near the top offer. And I don't see Cespedes/Upton signing for less than 100 million.

This is from someone in a position to get info but I don't know if I can trust. The two numbers he threw out were 5/108 and 6/125. Take with whatever amount of salt you like. Scott Merkin told me the Sox won't go over 100 million.

If that's the case, I wouldn't imagine they have much of a chance of actually signing him.

If the Sox are truly pursing Cespedes, and even Gordon for that matter, they'd almost have to be willing to go over $100 million.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
If the Sox truly aren't going over 100 million, then they stand a good chance of not getting anyone. I really think Gordon is going to stay in KC if the Royals come in anywhere near the top offer. And I don't see Cespedes/Upton signing for less than 100 million.

It's Merkin. He doesn't know, he's guessing.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
Gordon isn't going to get 100 million and that's from Merkin anyways. I am not sure the Sox have a beat writer who has been right all offseason. I understand what their job is, but I still thought it was worth noting.

Quiet frankly I think the info you got & what Merkin have about the same credibility right now.

I think the local beats are using their judgement & maybe un-intentially passing it off as "fact" to most readers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
It's Merkin. He doesn't know, he's guessing.

And he quickly had to acknowledge the Tanaka offer was $100M+ after getting called out, so I would certaintly take anthing he says with a huge grain of salt. Hell, he even said his assumption was pure speculation and had no insider info to base his claim on. There is no doubt in my mind the Sox would go over $100M for the right player.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
Isn't Merkin really just a PR guy? I don't think he's aloud to share a personal opinion/thought. Just speak on behalf of the team.

Or allowed.

I generally ignore Hayes and Merkin's "opinions" on things. They're fed what to say and not say.

At this point, I'm perfectly fine waiting for the White Sox to tweet that they've signed X to a contract.

Yes, the CSN and MLB.com beat writers rarely get an offseason scoop. During the season they get them because of clubhouse access. They can see a locker cleaned out, etc. Right now, Hayes and Merkin are like teachers in the summer. On vacation. They will write an occasional fluff piece, but nothing serious for a couple of months.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
Or allowed.

I generally ignore Hayes and Merkin's "opinions" on things. They're fed what to say and not say.

At this point, I'm perfectly fine waiting for the White Sox to tweet that they've signed X to a contract.

I read into what Merkins says... by thinking about why are they feeding him THAT to say to the public?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
And he quickly had to acknowledge the Tanaka offer was $100M+ after getting called out, so I would certaintly take anthing he says with a huge grain of salt. Hell, he even said his assumption was pure speculation and had no insider info to base his claim on. There is no doubt in my mind the Sox would go over $100M for the right player.

It's like the gloom and doomers here who told us the Sox had no money to spend last offseason, and then told us again this year, they spent it all last year, there is little they can do. Maybe if the Sox get one of these guys they will quit telling us about the dire financial state of the White Sox.

They brought Samardzija in, the plan was to re-sign him. That requires money. They appear to be re-allocating that money and a bit more to an OF.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
I read into what Merkins says... by thinking about why are they feeding him THAT to say to the public?

I think if they tell him anything it is to try to temper any expectation. If Merkin or Hayes say they think a Cespedes or Gordon signing was imminent, people would believe the White Sox told them that. I don't think they have much more information regarding these possible signings than you or me.

White Sox can make this move happen if they want & I think they do. As we all know, more goes into a contract than just a set year & dollar amount.

I have no doubt that they are close with one of them, it's just a matter of waiting & the fluidity of the situation.

We've seen how things can quickly go from "quiet" to a move.

@SSS_joshnelson still preferred Gordon, made a formal offer and were ultimately turned down. Then quickly turned to finalize Cespedes

Josh Nelson

5h5 hours ago

Josh Nelson ‏@SSS_joshnelson

Another thought regarding White Sox rumors - I think Alex Gordon's heart is in KC. Ultimately I think he wants to stay.

Someone is at least going along with that scenario that the Sox did make some type of formal offer to Gordon early this week...but how credible?

Where is the ENIGMA machine to unscramble all the mixed signals?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
White Sox can make this move happen if they want & I think they do. As we all know, more goes into a contract than just a set year & dollar amount.

I have no doubt that they are close with one of them, it's just a matter of waiting & the fluidity of the situation.

We've seen how things can quickly go from "quiet" to a move.

Greinke was signed 5 hours after the initial contact for over $200 million. If the Sox are close great. I'm sure the players would feel better about being signed. They are working out getting ready for the season. What happens if they pull a Victor Martinez and get hurt before they sign? SOL. It probably depends on how many teams they have in, maybe a team or two is trying to move some money or players.

Didn't Merkin say that Sox won't go over 100 million as being just a guess

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer